Let's talk twins

Idaho CTD said:
The K31 is very similar to the GT4294 like the one Brandon is selling on this site. The flow rate is within 3lbs/min and the turbine wheels are almost exactly the same. The upside for the GT42 is it is available with a turbine housing as small as 1.01AR wastegated. The K31 is 1.28AR. The K31 does have a bit bigger shaft though.

I thought the K31 (aka Aurora 5000) was a smaller shaft unit then the GT42? Also the K31 uses a ugly straight cut 12 blade turbine vs the GT42's 10 blade swept back S-trim wheel. Would be nice to have the GT42 with the K31 compressor wheel. Best of both worlds.:woohoo:

supersmoke said:
I thought the K31 (aka Aurora 5000) was a smaller shaft unit then the GT42? Also the K31 uses a ugly straight cut 12 blade turbine vs the GT42's 10 blade swept back S-trim wheel. Would be nice to have the GT42 with the K31 compressor wheel. Best of both worlds.:woohoo:

Your right on the shaft size. For some reason I was thinking S400 not K31. I was refering to the dimensions of the turbine wheel not the blade configuration.

Idaho CTD said:
Your right on the shaft size. For some reason I was thinking S400 not K31. I was refering to the dimensions of the turbine wheel not the blade configuration.

Yeah, I'm not that familiar with the other series turbos. I will be talking with the guys I get turbos from tomm. I'll ask them then...see what the differences are.

Idaho CTD said:
The K31 is very similar to the GT4294 like the one Brandon is selling on this site. The flow rate is within 3lbs/min and the turbine wheels are almost exactly the same. The upside for the GT42 is it is available with a turbine housing as small as 1.01AR wastegated. The K31 is 1.28AR. The K31 does have a bit bigger shaft though.
That turbo of Brandons is nice I dont have the denero for it yet, If I did i would already have it by now. Next time.:poke:

If you want instant spool and will only be around 600 HP why not try something like a HTBG with an inlarged WG over s400. It should spool very fast and keep EGTs with in your limits.

I have a small S400 that I will get some work done to it this summer, no wastegate and its a t6 mount, I can't beleive that all the Macks at work mostly have S300s, I could get one cheep.

Trapper said:
I have a small S400 that I will get some work done to it this summer, no wastegate and its a t6 mount, I can't beleive that all the Macks at work mostly have S300s, I could get one cheep.

How small 2.4 or 2.6 ?

how would an s400 run with my HTb2 64/14 feeding into it for a twins combo

I have an HTB2 64/14 gated at about 55 psi and i can peg the pyro in 4th gear while racing.
I need more air but dont know the way to go.

Lance

In Lance's case (12v) what would the effect of a cam be with his 64 vs going to twins in regards to egt's, spool, and max hp? How about 24V? I have basically the same turbo as you do Lance with Mach6s and a Comp and I can see 1500 on a good pull set on kill. Doesn't really bother me too much but just wondering in real world terms if a cam would knock those temps down 100-200 degrees? From what I can gather, a set of street twins will knock maybe 200 degrees off a higher fueled engine with a bigger single.

Rods said:
How small 2.4 or 2.6 ?
I think its the 2.4 I would have to measure it, the guy I bought it from nicked the intake fins good so it needs to be fixed anyways,

duke1n said:
In Lance's case (12v) what would the effect of a cam be with his 64 vs going to twins in regards to egt's, spool, and max hp? How about 24V? I have basically the same turbo as you do Lance with Mach6s and a Comp and I can see 1500 on a good pull set on kill. Doesn't really bother me too much but just wondering in real world terms if a cam would knock those temps down 100-200 degrees? From what I can gather, a set of street twins will knock maybe 200 degrees off a higher fueled engine with a bigger single.

With the restrictive 12v head, a cam doesn't do so much. Twins would help much more. 24v it will help more. I've seen Lavon's 24v (stock cam) go from 1600+ with a large charger that didn't tow well to 1200F twins that towed extremely cool. I still vote twins.

brandon.

Last year with twins I would hit ~1450* at the end of the 1/4 mile. After putting the cam in I'm just a little over 1200*. IMO 1450 is not bad, but 1200 is better! Oh, yeah... before twins the pyro would hit the peg at about the 1/8 mile...

Paul

Too bad you didn't put the cam in when you had the single so we could see what happens :) If the upper limit was 1450 using a single with a cam, I could live with that.

Which cam? How fast do you spin the engine? Have you been into the bottom end?

But, would that be a good setup for me and the fuel i got????

I can peg the pyro in 4th (57psi)

I am thinking put an S400 as a secondary with the 64/14 feeding into it!!

WHat yall think?? How would boost #'s be??? How would spoolup be????

Lance

I have no idea, I'm just interested in hearing from someone who had higher end EGTs and did a cam to see what the actual difference was.

My heads ported so I really can't tell, I cant peg my pyro just yet, I will have to move my plate around.

i have a ported head also.

All i know is i need more air to cool this baby down a bit.

I am thinking of stage 3 water/meth to help untill i figure out what kind of turbo i am going to use for my secondary on my twins.
I still think an S400 is going to be a good choice ........but i dont know.
I was hoping that someone has had some experience with an S400.

Lance

oldsmokey97 said:
i have a ported head also.

All i know is i need more air to cool this baby down a bit.

I am thinking of stage 3 water/meth to help untill i figure out what kind of turbo i am going to use for my secondary on my twins.
I still think an S400 is going to be a good choice ........but i dont know.
I was hoping that someone has had some experience with an S400.

Lance

Lance,

See if you can find out how much your 64/14 flows first and then shop for a bottom charger. It's less than 72lbs/min because that is what a 66mm flows. The biggest box stock S400 commonly used flows 96lbs/min. I suspect your turbo flows about 65-68lbs/min. The combo would work but I'd use a slightly larger primary.

Nathan

What About In My Case, Im Running A Htt 62-14 As A Single And Want To Go To Twins In The Near Future With Either Mach 4's Or 6's. Would I Benefit More From A B2 On Bottom Or What? Isnt A K31 Larger Than A B2?

Nope, K32 is a bit smaller than a B2....62/14-B2 combo should be a nice 550-600hp combo...more with some headwork and a cam!

IMO,
Chris

Back