My 47RH Build

Ive been three years now converted to an auto with the manual VB. Best thing I ever did, saying your truck is fast from a roll, and saying your truck is just fast is pretty fun. I have surprised lots of people with some hard 4x4 launches. Which would never have been possible with a manual.....

Ive been three years now converted to an auto with the manual VB. Best thing I ever did, saying your truck is fast from a roll, and saying your truck is just fast is pretty fun. I have surprised lots of people with some hard 4x4 launches. Which would never have been possible with a manual.....

My boss is a DIEHARD powerstroke guy with a 2wd 350 DRW 6spd with Stage 3's, custom tuned chip, & a Garrett 38R. I'd love to bust his ass because be is ALWAYS bad mouthing Dodge/Cummins LOL

48RE OD planet and sun gear to go in. Still waiting on the last few parts to come in before I an wrap it up.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389627283.491182.jpg

My uncle has a early '04 with a 48RE. Mostly stock with some Bosch Motorsport 50HP injectors and some little chip or something he doesn't even know what it is lol. He's got 200k+ miles on stock transmission never been serviced and now he wants to rebuild it. I told him I would help him out with it.

I'm thinking a:
DPC single disc billet
Firepunk VB
Upgraded GM solenoid
New Raybestos clutches/steels
2nd gear servo, strut, anchor, apply, servo
Accumulator
2nd gear band
New paper and rubber
New bushings

Think that's good enough?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
48RE OD planet and sun gear to go in. Still waiting on the last few parts to come in before I an wrap it up.

View attachment 48712

My uncle has a early '04 with a 48RE. Mostly stock with some Bosch Motorsport 50HP injectors and some little chip or something he doesn't even know what it is lol. He's got 200k+ miles on stock transmission never been serviced and now he wants to rebuild it. I told him I would help him out with it.

I'm thinking a:
DPC single disc billet
Firepunk VB
Upgraded GM solenoid
New Raybestos clutches/steels
2nd gear servo, strut, anchor, apply, servo
Accumulator
2nd gear band
New paper and rubber
New bushings

Think that's good enough?

So why the 48RE sun gear and planet? I have my OD apart now and need to put bushings in the sun gear

So why the 48RE sun gear and planet? I have my OD apart now and need to put bushings in the sun gear

the 48RE has a 6 pinion steel planetary and I think the 47RH only has like a 5 pinion aluminum or something like that. I haven't taken the 47RH down yet to see. Just a little upgrade cause I have the 48RE OD parts laying there. Have to swap the sun gear with the planet cause they are helical cut gears and 47 is straight cut( I think). So basically a little stronger, not sure if I need it though.

they make a 6 pinion retrofit OD gear for the 47RH, nothing extra special required gear wise.

They say I won't make enough power to break this one . . . Aermet.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389657032.062307.jpg

Good to see the little tips and tricks to building one of these transmissions thanks guys:bow:

the 48RE has a 6 pinion steel planetary and I think the 47RH only has like a 5 pinion aluminum or something like that. I haven't taken the 47RH down yet to see. Just a little upgrade cause I have the 48RE OD parts laying there. Have to swap the sun gear with the planet cause they are helical cut gears and 47 is straight cut( I think). So basically a little stronger, not sure if I need it though.

My RE has a 5-pinion, don't remember the material. A local trans shop pressed the OD for me for free, if you don't want to mess with that, there might be a shop near you that would do that

Just bought the 20ton harbor freight press for $150. Worked great!

Just bought the 20ton harbor freight press for $150. Worked great!

Cascade trans let me trace the special tool for it, but I've been too lazy to make it. Then again, the trans shop just used and old trans gear as the press too lol

Perfect thread, my next project. How much did you machine off the O.D reaction plate? Picture would be a icing on the cake. Thanks

Perfect thread, my next project. How much did you machine off the O.D reaction plate? Picture would be a icing on the cake. Thanks

It's all together so I can't get a picture. I didn't machine it either, I just bought it already machined from Lavon with the clutch pack.

^talking about the 48RE stepped plate? (OD Brake clutch pack?)

^talking about the 48RE stepped plate? (OD Brake clutch pack?)

Yes. stepped plate with 6/6 clutch steel, full thickness. If my memory serves me correctly. One snap ring, removed the waved ring.

I got done swapping the input on the NV271, so I need to stab it and then I can fire the truck up. I'll know real soon how good of a transmission builder I am.

One of the many upgrade threads I have read, they broke a stepped plate in one of the packs(can't remember which clutch pack). Good to hear this one works.

Leave .135".

e4ymu4eg.jpg

Back