My 47RH Build

How many amps does the lock up and o/d switches take? I blew a 10amp fuse. I didn't think it even pulled that much. I hooked the power straight to battery with a big wire and tried it but no no lock up or o/d. Maybe the solenoids in the trans are bad??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its low amp stuff. Not enough to tax a normal rocker switch. You are feeding the 12v solenoid power off the batt and just grounding the OD and lock up wires to complete the circuit correct? You do not feed those wires with power.

Its low amp stuff. Not enough to tax a normal rocker switch. You are feeding the 12v solenoid power off the batt and just grounding the OD and lock up wires to complete the circuit correct? You do not feed those wires with power.

Yes that's exactly what I was doing except I had the center power wire on a fuse. It popped the fuse as soon as I plugged it in. Then I replaced the fuse but no lock up or o/d.

Does that mean I have a short in the solenoids?? Brand new wiring. I'm sure none of the wires are crossed.

I guess I just wanted to make sure 10 amps was enough. I'll finish the wiring out like that and order new solenoids.

I'd be surprised if the solenoids pulled more than 3 amps each, the windings in them are tiny, probably 24 gauge.

Thx Will. Only thing I can figure is a dead short in the solenoids. That's what it would take to pop a 10amp fuse I'm sure.

Ordered solenoids from wittrans Monday morning and they're here already lol. So I tested it and everything works. Old solenoids must be bad.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvoxTRUKknk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvoxTRUKknk[/ame]

Ok so now lock up and o/d work which is great and really shows how tight this converter can be.

I loosened the 2nd gear band a half turn and im still having some hang on the 2-3 shift. The timing just isn't right. I can't imagine the band or direct clutch lasting long like it is. Any ideas to improve the timing on 2-3??

Sometimes different TV Lever settings will clean up the 2-3 shift a little bit.

Well I have it set about 90% via the bolt. Don't wanna drop the pan again right now to loosen the bolt up lol. Could be also from my very tight direct clutch clearance? I'll drive it a little more. Seems it does better as it warms up.

Where does it shift rpm wise with the external TV lever set to WOT?

I used to have a small 2-3 bindup when mine was shifting down around 2400 rpm, after getting that shift up to 3200 RPM, zero bindup, just smooth aggressive shift!

Where does it shift rpm wise with the external TV lever set to WOT?

I used to have a small 2-3 bindup when mine was shifting down around 2400 rpm, after getting that shift up to 3200 RPM, zero bindup, just smooth aggressive shift!

Well it's full manual so wherever I want it to shift. I'll play around with the RPMs i shift at to see how it reacts to that. Thanks Will.

Still have the bind in 2-3 shift no matter the RPMs. Probably because I remember now that the direct clutch pack is setup really tight so it probably doesn't take long to engage which is causing it to bind a little. I guess I'll just drive it till it clearances itself out or burns them up and then I'll toss new clutch pack in with a little looser tolerances.

Also, how bad is it for the O/D to be on and then down shift out of third into other gears?
I did this on accident and it acted funny for a bit afterward. Now O/D works still and engages good, but doesn't really want to dis-engage unless I let off the throttle. What kind of damage did I do??

Well I have it set about 90% via the bolt. Don't wanna drop the pan again right now to loosen the bolt up lol. Could be also from my very tight direct clutch clearance? I'll drive it a little more. Seems it does better as it warms up.

Did you get anywhere with this?

I bought a spring from Goerend to put in the second gear servo to help it release faster. I just have my direct pack setup tight. Still haven't put it in yet though. Been busy working, small remodel job, and then fixing wife's new car.

So building a Trans is pretty straight forward then. I have never built one but have all the tools under the sun. Everything come with good manuals ?

Back