Need Blow off or Pop off valve info

spdgofast

TOO MANY IRONS
I am a bit unfamiliar with blow off valves and or pop off valves. I called a local speed shop that has blow off valves but the only ones that they had were vacuum controlled. I need a device to protect from barking the turbo and or over boost conditions. I would appreciate any direction anyone can give me.

Turbo smart has very nice diesel blow off valves and there electronically controlled they work pretty nice I've put a few in duramaxs

Jgs has a300 dollar kit that uses drive pressure.. Very sweet

JGS one is working very good in my 12V. Using boost and drive pressure. And you can adjust it. :Cheer:

So they don't make one that just uses spring pressure and it just opens when a certain pressure is reached?

yeah its called a wastegate..
This one is better all around and costs just atouch more for a lot more safety..
http://jgsturbo.com/wgpg.html
JGS600 is what you want.. best thing you can do.. water heater pop offs suck

Thanks guys, I did a little searching and I'm much more "edgumicated" now.:thankyou2:

Thanks guys, I did a little searching and I'm much more "edgumicated" now.:thankyou2:

Good deal.

So they don't make one that just uses spring pressure and it just opens when a certain pressure is reached?

Now you see the error in this, right?

You want to control what happens when the boost pressure is greater than the drive pressure, not just start venting boost off at a certain pressure. The former doesn't allow the compressor to over speed, the latter does. :D

Drive pressure can only be controlled by a wastegate. Not a bov.

This fixes all problems w drive pressure problems
null-4.jpg

Drive pressure can only be controlled by a wastegate. Not a bov.

This fixes all problems w drive pressure problems
null-4.jpg
Im talking about using drive pressure to hold the BOV closed, with assistance from a light spring. The second you lift, boost overcomes drive pressure and the BOV opens. No TPS and electronic BS.

I don't think it will work as described Hate to see someone spend money and try it and it fail as the wastegate is proven.

I don't think it will work as described Hate to see someone spend money and try it and it fail as the wastegate is proven.

Wastegate and BOV's serve to very different functions. Wastegate is to control boost or drive pressures, BOV is to vent boost when the throttle is lifted to prevent surging the compressor.

BOV's are for gasoline motors. You know, those old stinky outdated designs!!!
Because a gas motor is throttled, it can and will sneeze the turbo when the boost can't go anywhere.
On a diesel it is best to let the boosted air pass thru the engine.

A little searching and you will find a nice thread that covers this topic very well.

A BOV can be benificial to a diesel engine, but it will not control max boost, or drive pressure. Thats the wastegates job. A BOV can be used to help fight turbo bark.

Well when asked what the specs were on the motor there was no response. So who knows if its bein over spun if its there driving habits. Or what.

Back