Need Blow off or Pop off valve info

He says he wants to help prevent bark... run a blow off valve using drivepressure and boost to control it.... he also wants to prevent over speeding.. add an external wastegate. The pop off valves will CAUSE over speeding. A BOV may be designed for a gas engine because the throttle closes off completely but there is still suddenly a considerable change in air flow when going from 4000RPM to 1000RPM. Which will still damage a turbo just not as quickly or severly as a throttle blade closing. My $.02

There are millions of diesels running around the world without blow of valves.
This is because the supercharging system is designed correctly.
Not some shade tree set up he bought because someone was selling it.
I'm not sure if he knows the difference between a BOV and Wastegate.

My guess is he read an article in a ricer car mag and feels he needs to be the first on his block to do this on a diesel.

Doesnt a lot of twin setups like Source use pop off valves on the cold pipe pre cooler?
What is the purpose for those, perhaps this is what he is referring too..?

Sent from my fphone

There may be millions of diesels around the world running without blow off valves because they were designed correcty but they weren't designed to run 100psi (for example) that's why you could need a blow of valve. That video is a very good example.

Last edited:
Lots of bad info in this thread. A BOV has its place, even on a diesel.

Thats a HKS electronic setup ,it is sweet ,idk why someone would mess with a drive pressure activated one! Dumping the throttle at 50-60 psi both times.

I have the parts for one for roughly 50 bucks...
That's why a drive pressure activated one.

Doesnt a lot of twin setups like Source use pop off valves on the cold pipe pre cooler?
What is the purpose for those, perhaps this is what he is referring too..?

Sent from my fphone

The way I understood the op's original post he was asking about this type of set up and a true bov.
, with a prv setup . If your gated a 70psi and prv's are set to 73 or so when you lift , the pressure spike should pop them , correct ? I would imagine its not nearly as effective as a drive press actuated bov , but is it effective at combating surge ?

The way I understood the op's original post he was asking about this type of set up and a true bov.
, with a prv setup . If your gated a 70psi and prv's are set to 73 or so when you lift , the pressure spike should pop them , correct ? I would imagine its not nearly as effective as a drive press actuated bov , but is it effective at combating surge ?

There isn't a boost spike when you lift on a diesel, the bark is drive pressure dropping faster than boost.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

How so cheap? Also have fun with the drive pressure line clogging.
Air comp regulator, a couple dsm bov's. Home made drive pressure filter, i am hoping that everything will be in good enough shape to not flow out and carry over soot.. And keep filter fairly close to the manifold to prevent water, then use 3/8 and 1/4 stainless to regulator and bov's.
Haven't done it yet, but getting there.

Thats a HKS electronic setup ,it is sweet ,idk why someone would mess with a drive pressure activated one! Dumping the throttle at 50-60 psi both times.

Electronic ones, AFAIK, don't activate during surge, like hitting OD and you get turbo bark. A drive pressure actuated one would.

This exactly, The settup I am even asking about is not a cummins though it could be. Although since I posted this thread I have learned a bit about this but all is not clear yet. I have read about bov's that are drive pressure controlled and boost controlled. Obviously it depends on the setup as to which one to use. I was just looking for a low buck bov that would relieve pressure at like 35 psi when the wastegate is set at 30 psi. So if I let off the throttle quick it takes the stress off the turbo shaft. And I realize there probably is not a great deal of stress on the turbo at 35lbs but I could be wrong. I remember being wrong once really bad back in 1992.

There isn't a boost spike when you lift on a diesel, the bark is drive pressure dropping faster than boost.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

I thought the bark was back pressure on the compressor side driven from the exhaust turbine side? Am I wrong again?:doh:

Back