Need your opinions on alh mods

bought mine with 206k. has almost 231k. its a full time winter beater and 1/2 time summer car. I beat the crap out of it every day the poor thing.

needs some bushings up front and a wheel baring now. timing belt i'm sure. i broke a turbo. its got a tune, bigger sticks, bigger turbo. clutch.

Last edited:
I've owned a lot of vws 2 mk2 16v's , mk3 vr, built a mk3 2.0 8v with a stage 2 eip turbo kit , g60 corrado , vr passat ... So I understand the love hate relationship that comes with owning them ... There less a car more like a stubborn pain in the ass dog that chews your favorite pair of shoes then waits for you to scratch its belly. I've just haven't owned or messed around with any tdi's
Closest I had was a diesel rabbit . I was confident in that car but not enough to bet my paycheck on it plus the 4speed was killing me . Felt like I was about to see pistons through the hood at 75 .
How do the alh head gaskets hold up ?

Jason, you're up in the 150-160hp mark.

Two best north American tuners are Malone and TDTuning.

Always buy quality parts from honest reputable distributors.

Jason, you're up in the 150-160hp mark.

Two best north American tuners are Malone and TDTuning.

Always buy quality parts from honest reputable distributors.

I don't believe it. :) We'll see once the snow melts. We'll have to get to a dyno.

Tho, I did school a SS trailblazer yesterday. Getting on to 212 west they have this setup were you go directly east and make a 180 degree turn to end up going west... About 60-70mph turn for the falling apart stock suspension + blizzaks car. Put like 10 cars on the guy between the turn in and turn out of that on ramp.. He was right on my tail we I got on the brakes. Didn't help that I taunted him for a few miles prior too ;-) I love this little car. Lots of fun. Even with 130whp.

That reminds me, I need to email TDTuning to send me a tune that cuts the smoke down just a little bit. Feels like it's hurting power too @ wot vs almost wot.

I don't believe it. :) We'll see once the snow melts. We'll have to get to a dyno.

Tho, I did school a SS trailblazer yesterday. Getting on to 212 west they have this setup were you go directly east and make a 180 degree turn to end up going west... About 60-70mph turn for the falling apart stock suspension + blizzaks car. Put like 10 cars on the guy between the turn in and turn out of that on ramp.. He was right on my tail we I got on the brakes. Didn't help that I taunted him for a few miles prior too ;-) I love this little car. Lots of fun. Even with 130whp.

That reminds me, I need to email TDTuning to send me a tune that cuts the smoke down just a little bit. Feels like it's hurting power too @ wot vs almost wot.

I agree, these cars are a lot of fun. The handling is exceptional but you may or may not know that with your failing suspension. Mine makes my 02 WRX not feel so sporty in speed and cornering abilities. Mine is bone stock except for some free mods and it does just fine with 90hp.

I agree, these cars are a lot of fun. The handling is exceptional but you may or may not know that with your failing suspension. Mine makes my 02 WRX not feel so sporty in speed and cornering abilities. Mine is bone stock except for some free mods and it does just fine with 90hp.

I got some clunking going on..

LOL

Guess I'm going to look at TDTuning now and see what they are all about.

I was looking at clutches last night actually. Planning on something rated for 400 ftlbs. Gives me a little room just in case. Does anyone know how much Mark charges for his tunes with his downloader ? The EGR will be deleted, I'm going to make something to fix that issue. The intake will be cleaned at same time. This is all after the thing gets the blemishes painted. I'm even debating on a different color.

Car is planned to get a black headlight with grille combo with Led taillights. I will probably get a 5k HID setup through DDM tuning. I love their kits. I have had 2 kits in my dakota for 2 years. A 6k 55w kit that a deer destroyed then the current 5k 55w setup I have. Best lights out there and are cheaper than most kits. Never had a single issue.

LOL

Guess I'm going to look at TDTuning now and see what they are all about.

I was looking at clutches last night actually. Planning on something rated for 400 ftlbs. Gives me a little room just in case. Does anyone know how much Mark charges for his tunes with his downloader ? The EGR will be deleted, I'm going to make something to fix that issue. The intake will be cleaned at same time. This is all after the thing gets the blemishes painted. I'm even debating on a different color.

Car is planned to get a black headlight with grille combo with Led taillights. I will probably get a 5k HID setup through DDM tuning. I love their kits. I have had 2 kits in my dakota for 2 years. A 6k 55w kit that a deer destroyed then the current 5k 55w setup I have. Best lights out there and are cheaper than most kits. Never had a single issue.

If you do not get projector style headlights to put the HID's in, I will change your avatar weekly to something you will not like.

Just sayin' :D

If you do not get projector style headlights to put the HID's in, I will change your avatar weekly to something you will not like.

Just sayin' :D

:snoop:

Guess I will have to see what you can do billy LOL I'm just not a fan of projectors. Reg lights with hid seem to be brighter for a little less.

This is what I was looking at

35172FEE-E363-456D-AD8C-3260EF68BC0E-1653-0000045B6A6F0005.jpg

8A3D8C78-4C86-4191-A756-36DAE636EFD3-1653-0000045B70320C20.jpg

Many replace the bushings and ball joints.

Its usually the sway bar bushings however that go first and clunk like crazy

:snoop:

Guess I will have to see what you can do billy LOL I'm just not a fan of projectors. Reg lights with hid seem to be brighter for a little less.

This is what I was looking at

35172FEE-E363-456D-AD8C-3260EF68BC0E-1653-0000045B6A6F0005.jpg

8A3D8C78-4C86-4191-A756-36DAE636EFD3-1653-0000045B70320C20.jpg

Just get a good set of H4 bulbs and try them first, I have pretty much that same headlight in mine with regular bulbs and excellent vision with them. I have an HID kit sitting here for them, and decided against putting it in, just don't need it.

How I the leg room in the Jetta's I'm 6'3" and don't like to be cramped. I'm considering buying a TDI.

Back