Need your opinions on alh mods

Here is a little update on the car.

Tinted windows, led black depo marker lights, head unit, AFE intake all installed. Went to dealership and bought the front spoiler piece too. Was looking and it was missing. Not a bad deal for 100 out the door. In the trunk I have ISSPRO factory matched gauges, badge less grille with half moon hood insert, a little lip spoiler, black headlights, led black taillights, and today I got my wheels. They are 18x8 and here is a mock up with no tires yet. Car goes in Friday for turbo back 2.5" with a 3.5" dual wall tip. Averaging 48 right now and on this tank I'm just barely less than a 1/2 with 390 miles. I'm happy.

B06B034B-70E2-4B18-8FE5-8F1E2D11CFD3-2715-00000701D4E7E51B.jpg

Just cleaned the rear for now and custom painted the logo. Silver will be redone when car is painted.

4C8C08BF-5642-4F8E-BB12-4430B9ABB154-2733-000007046E2D7971.jpg

Not bad for owning it for 3 weeks LOL its scheduled for a full paint job may 19 and will still be silver.

Last edited:
So far so good on car. Put 2200 miles on it so far. Worst tank daily driving was 47mpg. Best so far is 51. I'm looking at nozzles and Malone tunings stage 2 with an Eco tune also for the flashzilla. Which nozzles would you guys go for? I have been looking at the bosio 520s.

Then tomorrow I'm off to the dealership to get a glow plug harness and a water temp sensor. Shouldn't have a check engine light any more. Kinda excited for it

Adding I also finished up my single 10in sub in the trunk pushed by a 1000w Memphis amp. It's a bit much for the sub but dang does the stereo sound good now. I'm all about quality in it.

Last edited:
I have done several ALHs. DON'T go for more power with a stock turbo, it will come undone at some point. on the last 4 I did, we went with the VNT17/22 turbo, PP768 nozzles, and a tune from Rocketchip. I have always used rocketchip, and liked his tunes. Kermas tunes are a little more "dull" and I like jeff @ rocketchips more aggressive style. all 4 cars get 63-64 mpg interstate, and 50+ city. Make sure your skidplate is intact, it helps a lot with milage.

Just my 2c!

Ok, so basically 40 extra hp will make the turbos end life. That's actually the first I have heard of that. I don't drive this hard I'm looking for mileage and not a huge project. PP520s with a stage 2 tune is claimed to net me another 5-7 all around. That comes to 55-58 driving everyday. Aluminum skid plate is on the list for the next few items I need. The plastic one is missing hardware but somehow is still intact. Sucker seems to hang down pretty far and I haven't seen another to compare with.

Previous owner of my beetle blew up 3 stock turbos with 520 nozzles, straight pipe, and evry mod. He ripped the compressor housings off the center section. Not sure if it was too much torque for stock motor mounts or if the boost pressure ripped the housing off. Stock turbo really is a joke, compressor inlet is about 1". I have installed a set of stock used nozzles and replaced the turbo with another stocker, since it was blown when I got the car. Trying to get it daily driveable so I can save money on my 50mi daily commute.

I have my 260k mile turbo on the beetle tied half way open/shut, and it comes on like a big single, makes it pretty fun LOL

Well guess I will have to work on wastegate a little then. Went to dealership today and picked up a new water temp sensor along with a glow plug harness. I have a check engine light since buying it from the harness. Water temp would work every now and then so I decided to do a hot swap on it and be done with that. Had a black factory sensor and now it's rocking the green updated one. Works perfect!

Well guess I will have to work on wastegate a little then. Went to dealership today and picked up a new water temp sensor along with a glow plug harness. I have a check engine light since buying it from the harness. Water temp would work every now and then so I decided to do a hot swap on it and be done with that. Had a black factory sensor and now it's rocking the green updated one. Works perfect!

What was the water temp sensor messing up? I'm having issues where the car goes into limp if I break 60mph after the temp light goes off.

Mine was simply not working right. Sometimes it would work other times it wouldn't. If you decide to do it on yours don't worry about draining coolant just do a quick swap. I relieved the pressure on the tank and let it cool for 2 hours. It was still warm but didn't have to worry about burns. I simply took the plastic retaining clip off after removing electronics plug and pulled out old and shoved new one in ASAP. I plugged the new sensor into the wiring just in case I dropped it. Also get a new 1.56 clip just in case. I dropped mine but had the new one ready so no worries.

Mine Wasn't logging a fault code just yet but I decided to change it when I ordered the glow plug harness just to make sure all is well.

I have also been told by malone tuning that if the sensor messes up it will defuel the car so that's a good possibility that it will definitely throw it into a limp mode. I figure 30 bucks to avoid a future issue is easily worth it.

Last edited:
I have 90k (217k total) miles running .205s and a Diesel Tuning AGR Z4 with straight pipe and an AFE, stock turbo and replacement stock clutch still on the DMF and have yet to blow anything up... Just my observations.

Will

Thanks!!!

I'm guessing some of these turbo issues can be had from either driving conditions or I'm kinda leaning towards the turbo injesting oil from the breather. Im trying to figure out how to do away with that. I'm learning everyday on these cars. Lots of potential here.

I also fixed the rear emblem today. Paint in 3 weeks. Then everything that is sitting in boxes will be put on. Taillights were on a 6 month back order so I finally found a different set I liked.

Here is the rear including the emblem change.
473235EB-4F66-48BB-B9AF-5AAD08CD0536-5810-00000DD3A1D630B5.jpg

Here is a little update on the car.

Tinted windows, led black depo marker lights, head unit, AFE intake all installed. Went to dealership and bought the front spoiler piece too. Was looking and it was missing. Not a bad deal for 100 out the door. In the trunk I have ISSPRO factory matched gauges, badge less grille with half moon hood insert, a little lip spoiler, black headlights, led black taillights, and today I got my wheels. They are 18x8 and here is a mock up with no tires yet. Car goes in Friday for turbo back 2.5" with a 3.5" dual wall tip. Averaging 48 right now and on this tank I'm just barely less than a 1/2 with 390 miles. I'm happy.

B06B034B-70E2-4B18-8FE5-8F1E2D11CFD3-2715-00000701D4E7E51B.jpg

Just cleaned the rear for now and custom painted the logo. Silver will be redone when car is painted.

4C8C08BF-5642-4F8E-BB12-4430B9ABB154-2733-000007046E2D7971.jpg

Not bad for owning it for 3 weeks LOL its scheduled for a full paint job may 19 and will still be silver.

car's looking pretty sharp fletcher:Cheer:

Thanks guys!!!

As some of you know I just can't leave something stock. I had a vision and I decided to attack it. Hopefully this weekend I will get the gauges installed. Led's for interior were ordered too. Saturday I'm getting my spare key finally. Key fobs aren't cheap. Through dealership was $200 bucks completely done. Laser cut keys suck LOL

Well I finally got my check engine light to go out and after 50 miles its stayed out. I simply replaced the glow plug harness and now after erasing the code in the system it's stayed out. Before I would erase it and 5 min later it would light up again. Hope this does the trick.

Also I got bored and installed my lights then finally trimmed out the piece for my 3.5" exhaust tip. What you guys think about them?

42ACDBC8-FE5E-4250-A3D5-80D1BB8605C7-7950-000011B78481F72E.jpg

Thanks!!

My PP502 injector nozzles will be here on the 14th. Then my southbend stage 2 endurance clutch was installed and man is this thing so much better. Got the looks pretty well done too.

Most recent pics that I took of it dirty. Need to wax it here next week finally.

DSC00600.jpg

DSC00604.jpg

DSC00620.jpg

Back