Opinions on Detroit true-trac

c_houchins8_182

Anybody used one or have opinions on one? Looking to upgrade the front end for next year. How about this versus an elocker, etc. Thanks guys

If money isn't too big of a problem I would defiantly go with an elocker. The true trac seems to give when you have weight and traction on both tires.

True-Trac, Put one new in D80 in my dodge. was good, few years at around 550hp. no issues. Have one in my D110 now. stock like power level, but no issues weighing around 10,000-15,000lbs steady. when it was under the service truck, trailered upwards of 30,000lbs. Still no issues. I like them.

I know it's not the same thing as a puller but I ran one in the front of my Toyota and it held up to a 350ish hp small block, swampers and a 3600 stall for a long time. They're a lot easier on u joints than a locker but you can't always count on both tires pulling.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Sounds like I'll be going with the locker then. Need both tires turning when I pull. Thanks a ton guys

I had one in my puller. It held up till around 700hp and then broke the casting around where the differential carrier bearing sits.

I've heard horror storries about the e-locker...burning up the electric magnet, etc....parts to repair them are so pricey or unavailable that it's cheaper to repair the entire unit. Any of this true?

I've had great luck with my truetrac in my front Dana 60. But like said before you can't always count on both tires turning. I was told by Randys R&P that the truetrac has a 3 to 1 "torque ratio". So if one of your tires has three times more traction the it will slip. I use my truck primarily for mud and snow and it worked awesome for me.

I've heard horror storries about the e-locker...burning up the electric magnet, etc....parts to repair them are so pricey or unavailable that it's cheaper to repair the entire unit. Any of this true?

The only issue ive had with mine was i melted the plug a little which caused intermittent operation. Im confident it had something to do with going through some deep snow with the plastic catch plate off the front of my truck. I pull my 01 all summer and plow with it all winter.

The "quick out" if you have 1 tire turning with a truetrac is to gently apply the brake while maintaining throttle. It will engage both tires.

Easy enough to do while off-road, but not very convenient while sled pulling.

On that note, I have never had one tire fire with the truetrac in my rear D110. And I have flogged it everywhere.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

I have been running a true trac going on 3 yrs now & no problems what so ever. Sled pulling, drag racing & dyno runs around 1500hp. Granted not putting that kind of power to the ground when sled pulling. No issues none the less.

i shreaded my true trac, disassembled to see where it failed. not impressed! try a e-locker

The True Trac is nothing but a posi-traction/limited slip without the clutches and steels. Just as described above, if you have one tire stuck and the other turning, apply the brakes or the e-brake if it's in the rear only in order to send power to the other tire. The same technique applies to both the True Trac and posi-traction/limited slip diffs.

I'd go with the locker. Guaranteed to have both sides turning no matter what. Only downfall I can foresee is more rapid tire wear from turns if driven on the street. But I believe, even the locker is supposed to "unlock" some to allow for the speed differential. I figure as long as you're not applying any throttle, there should be nothing to worry about.

Last edited:
The True Trac is nothing but a posi-traction/limited slip without the clutches and steels. Just as described above, if you have one tire stuck and the other turning, apply the brakes or the e-brake if it's in the rear only in order to send power to the other tire. The same technique applies to both the True Trac and posi-traction/limited slip diffs.

I'd go with the locker. Guaranteed to have both sides turning no matter what. Only downfall I can foresee is more rapid tire wear from turns if driven on the street. But I believe, even the locker is supposed to "unlock" some to allow for the speed differential. I figure as long as you're not applying any throttle, there should be nothing to worry about.

True lockers can be dangerous on the street in snowy and/or wet conditions.

Where did it fail?

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

it split the housing and ripped every tooth off the passenger side. my truck has never hopped (yet). so its not like it unloaded then reloaded real quick. the good people at randy's ring and pinion set me up with the marketing manager from yukon and i now run a grizzlylocker.
:Cheer:

Back