Perkins rebuild and Allison6sp swap

Rode in Dales truck about a week ago and it was nice to see what a Allison 6 speed drives like outside of Chevy.

Thanks for the hospitality too Dale.

I've been following your build and the info Maxpf has on 4bt about wiring up a 6 speed Allison 1000. I see you are now pleased with the way the transmission is shifting once you replaced the faulty VB. I am ready to install wiring on mine. I have a modified harness from a 2006 Duramax and made the changes per Maxpf's diagram. I have a new TCM. I have access to GM programming as a good friend is a GM mechanic well versed in programming factory setups. I planned on having him use the stock programming from a 2006 8.1 truck that my transmission came out of. I also have the BCM for the same vehicle. My two concerns are the accuracy of the Caterpillar TPS and modifying shift points with EFI live. Does the Caterpillar TPS account well for varying driving conditions? Loaded vs unloaded, wide open throttle, or easy city driving. Also where does one start with changing the shift parameters in EFI live? Does someone out there have a baseline starting point for the 5.9 motor. I replaced the 8.1 (orange) torque convertor with a (black) torque convertor that has the lower stall. My truck is a 1992 F350 Crewcab 4x4 DRW. Estimated weight empty 8000 lbs. Engine is a 1993 5.9 Cummins. BWS300 turbo, 2001 intercooler, minor pump adjustments, custom Air Intake. Truck is a daily driver and I tow a horse trailer or 30ft fifth wheel and the occasional equipment I rent for my sign business. The Allison is replacing an NV4500. I have adapted a NP 271 TC from a dodge. All is installed in the truck and I am ready to finalize the electronics. I will have to purchase EFI live or find someone to do the changes for me. Any additional help or guidance would be appreciated.

Just alittle update as soon as it starts to warm up some going to start on body work.Rust started popping out in a few spots.Have to get on it before gets to bad.
Had a Wireing problem after 20,000 plus miles.The pins for the 80 pin connector was the wrong ones the locking hole was in the wrong spot made the pin not go on the tcm pin for enough.Barely touched one another got them from the GM dealer.I got the right one from Howard,s Allison Conversion very nice man to talk to and deal with.The pins finally wouldn't communicate anymore.Repined all the wires in the 80 pin connector.Every thing is working great again.

Dale

The rust is something we have to put up with drive a old truck 365 days a year.Our 72 Chevy with the Cummins in it has some rust underneath cab support.

Dale

Well had alittle bit of bad luck this past Monday had a gasket failure to the oil cooler lines.Lost all the oil fast a mazing how fast 3 gallons runs out doing 60 mph.When I heard the mocking and seen no oil pressure.i let of the throttle and motor died.When I got stopped on the shoulder I tried to restart locked up.After had it towed home with the rollback.later when that afternoon I put more oil in had the wife crank on it while I watched for the leak.Turned over like nothing was wrong.it started right up good oil pressure.Showing same it did that morning 60lb at idle.Found the leak and made a gasket .The motor sound ok I got this gut feeling I just need to pull the motor and tear it down and make sure its all good.
While its out going to do the body work and box the frame in and make the cab air ride.
Finally got the new radiator in and this happens.

Dale

Turned over like nothing was wrong.it started right up good oil pressure.Showing same it did that morning 60lb at idle.Found the leak and made a gasket .The motor sound ok I got this gut feeling I just need to pull the motor and tear it down and make sure its all good.
While its out going to do the body work and box the frame in and make the cab air ride.
Finally got the new radiator in and this happens.

Dale

I would pull it and take a look but if you want to do a little check before you spend time on it

I would let it idle until it warms all the way up and pay attention to it the entire time. If it has eaten any bearings then it will need some heat in the parts before you notice anything.
I lost oil in my dodge and had a similar experience driving down the road, got it towed and later that night after work I fired it up and it seemed fine but I let it idle for awhile and when the water temp got to 120ish you could hear the rpms slowly dropping. Upon teardown it had spun two rod bearings halfway around and welded them to the rods and ate a good bit of 2-3 main bearings.

Last edited:
Sorry to say but it's time to do some changing.The Perkins is coming out and going to be gone through for inspection.Going to put the motor and Allison in a 2005 f550 2 wheel drive.
The 75 is going up for sale.

Dale

Your correct there.My dad bought the truck new.As my wife says sometimes you just need to let go.I just gave her a serious look she seen it and said don't go there.
I really like to keep it just don't have the room.

Dale

Had a young gentleman contact me about the the old girl.It didn't take very long into the conversation for me to tell him to get lost.
He only wanted give $1500.00.Didn't want to get into a big debate on how much is in the truck.He didn't have a clue a vintage air system was.After he said the Cummings word instead of Cummins. he thought Perkins was a Japanese motor . I hung up on him.Don't have the time for stupidity.

Dale
Dale

Had a young gentleman contact me about the the old girl.It didn't take very long into the conversation for me to tell him to get lost.

He only wanted give $1500.00.Didn't want to get into a big debate on how much is in the truck.He didn't have a clue a vintage air system was.After he said the Cummings word instead of Cummins. he thought Perkins was a Japanese motor . I hung up on him.Don't have the time for stupidity.

Dale

Dale

Lol gota love those morons that think they have a clue and are just out to see what kind of deal they can get when they don't have any idea what there talking about. 1500 tho that's a ridiculous offer dzle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sorry to hear about the bad luck dale, cant wait to see what you do to the f550. are you going to do the same thing with the one piece hood?

Haven't made my mind up yet maybe not at first
Depending on how many people keep telling me it won't work.LOL Then I will most likely tilt it then just to show it can be done.but not till I get the rest of it all done.

Dale

Back