Philosophical Question

Timbeaux

Administrator and Head Thread Derailer
In light of Recent tragedies in the grudge racing world, a discussion has popped up about older tracks or tracks that have loose tech, and drivers that have improper safety equipment.

I don't want to talk about folks that have been injured or killed, but do you think the responsibility falls on the track tech, or the driver to ensure they are safe?

Personally, I think that if the track lets you sign a waiver and drive a death trap, that is on you as a driver. The issue is that some folks wanna go fast and don't think it will ever happen to them. Our community has been extremely lucky for a long time, but I think that a tragedy is inevitable- especially amongst oralers who are too young and/or stupid to know better. I'd lay odds someone in their early twenties knocks down a guardrail or climbs a wall in a 4x4 of some make, a pile of nitrous and some neato mudd gripplers (sic)

Hopefully they wont get hurt too bad.

Tech should keep unsafe vehicles off the track -- it's only fair to the guy in the other lane.

While I am definitely a proponent of blaming the guilty party (generally owner/driver of the vehicle that exits it's intended path of trajectory), we all definitely assume a big risk when we attend events. A 4" thick concrete barrier won't protect a person that is hanging over it trying to take photos, and it most likely won't protect someone standing immediately behind it, not taking the self-preservation route of leaving a buffer.

A truck that passes tech is also not in and of itself a safe truck...

If you knowingly run a vehicle with subpar safety equipment you proceed at your own risk. No one should have to tell you to be safe or to upgrade your clapped out chit. Its totally on the guy in the seat. The track provides a safe environment for the fans and its up to the car owner/driver to make sure his vehicle is also.

I have always felt If you wanna race without a helmet, and no seatbelts, by all means. Sign here and off you go. However, if it comes down to you flat out have a sh**box that the wheels are falling off, causing harm to others around you, that's no good. I love watching old sprint car races when they raced with a leather helmet, no seatbelts, and no roll cage. When you had to be a real man to get in the car, or just really stupid.

Last edited:
What a slippery slope it becomes. As far as the driver goes, it's on him/her to ensure his/her own safety. As far as the fans go, it is a fine line between blaming the driver or blaming the fan since they decided to sit 12 inches from the track and caught a rear wheel in the head. We all choose our own destiny. Regardless of who is at fault, any person that dies as a result of an out of control vehicle or part at a race/pull had the option to stay at home. It is all part of life. This whole blaming someone else for ones choices has got to stop. $.02

I am offended

well because that's the thing to be nowadays right?

You can polish a turd an make it look safe and fool some really good tech guys..

Up to the driver to get down the track safe. The tech guy is there as a formality to keep the drivers honest.

Racing is dangerous, this is part of the allure for the competitors and fans alike.

When it comes to safety tech like seat belts, helmets, etc. that only would affect the lose nut behind the wheel in case of a failure, then that's on the driver. I still feel these rules should be followed.

Safety issues with the equipment and licensing, I feel very strongly that this should be tech'd tight to the rules as the chances are larger that someone else will be affected.

Are we talking about nonexistent safety equipment, out of certification, cages made out of conduit or what?

Because I bought all my stuff with shiny new stickers, truck hasn't driven a mile, and it is about to expire.

Last edited:
Driver is responsible for keeping him/herself safe. Track is responsible for keeping spectators and staff safe. Which includes properly teching the vehicles.

Just My Opinion

Last edited:
If I were the track owner, in the Lawyer happy world we live in I'd be damned if I let anyone go down my truck that isn't meeting the guidelines set by the NHRA. As long as the ride meets their(NHRA/IHRA) specs, doesn't that pull most of the responsibility of what happen away from you(The Owner)......You're still going to get sued, but you might have something to stand on if only safely built cars go down the track. Just my $.02

IdahoRob makes a good point. If racing was safe, we would call it driving.

It can't be the sole responsibility of the guy(s) at tech to determine if your junk is worthy. Apart from anything glaringly unsafe, oily/wet, and generally poor upkeep... Tech can't be held to much. If you know your vehicle can reach the 11's, then its time to save up for the rollbar/cage. Not because tech wan't you to, but when parts scatter at that speed it gets bad in a hurry. I see it as no different than looking at head studs and other go fast parts at certain HP levels. Bars/Cages, hoops, xmsn blankets etc are all part of going fast responsibly. Other racers need to call each other out on it too. some kid rolls in which more power than brains and his junk won't hold up, other racers will know this. Instead of turning a blind eye, they need to say something and let him know that if he wants to have continued fun at this power level, X,Y,Z need to be done so he keeps himself and others safe.

As for the fans. You want to watch grudge racing at a no prep, or go to a sanctioned event. Get life insurance. because sooner or later you will see some chit, and hopefully you weren't too close when you got to see it.

If you knowingly run a vehicle with subpar safety equipment you proceed at your own risk. No one should have to tell you to be safe or to upgrade your clapped out chit. Its totally on the guy in the seat. The track provides a safe environment for the fans and its up to the car owner/driver to make sure his vehicle is also.

Except, unlike pulling, you usually have a person racing you to the finish.:lolly:

Enough of the jabbing.

Depends on what happen.

Vehicular failure due your build, your fault.

Improper track prep, tracks fault.

Safety equpiment, Tech.

Vehicle going through a crumbling wall, track.

FAILURE TO FOLLOW DIRECTIONS AND RULES SET FORTH BY THE SANCTIONING BODY, everyone.

Narrow tracks, huge guardrails, and no prep conditions are to blame in my opinion. Car gets out of shape and there's no space to correct it.

Last edited:
Narrow tracks, huge guardrails, and no prep conditions are to blame in my opinion. Car gets out of shape and there's no space to correct it.

Not for what happened this weekend. In our line of sport, sure.

As hard as anyone tries, you'll never be able to regulate natural selection. If someone wants to build a ****ty car, all you can do is protect others and let the driver take themselves out of the gene pool.

The older I get the more I think about this.

I love having a fast street truck but just a month ago went to an event at Commerce and ran 10.70@129.4 and two other very similar passes without a cage. Don't want a cage either.

Yes it's MY choice to endanger my life but yes, I have a responsibility to be safe for the guy/gal in the other lane.

We all make choices...They make a choice to BE in the other lane knowing the dangers as well.

Tough call all around

Last edited:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHFAOUqA9sE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHFAOUqA9sE[/ame]
This is a great video to watch from start to finish many things that most everyone does not ask themselves when they show up for a race at any track. It does not matter if it's a stock vehicle or a 8sec truck, it's up to the driver to make sure they have a safe and correct setup so they are safe and others around them are as well. It is also the driver's responsibility to make sure the track is safe and making everyone follow rules.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a combination of 2 things. First is that very few tracks are profitable these days & therefore corners are cut . Things like proper guard rail repair, surface prep , fire extinguishers, Ect are hard to do when your losing money . Second is the recent street outlaws fantasy world where if you lift your a Puzzy . That mindset is causing inexperienced green drivers to stay in it longer than they should . Good helmets & fire suits aren't going to fix some of the wrecks I've been seeing . We have boycotted our local track last year. It's almost bankrupt & it shows .

Back