Philosophical Question

still trying to figure out what race was in question, or the incident that lead to this topic. link?

janky...wtf. let me say this. I roadraced motorcycles. when a guy crashes and wipes out half the pack in turn one its too bad..so sad..thats racing. if you get paralyzed well...you signed up for it..sorry dude. ive seen that happen
if yer bike flips into the stands or yer bike catches fire on pit road...the guy next to ya better gather up his stuff cuz that's a shame.
spectators get smashed in indy and nascar too..id guess its a waiver thing on the back of the ticket you didn't know was there...

Last edited:
And I may be mistaken on the vert number, not sure. I've seen some SUPER fast stuff run at the track though recently without even a basic rollbar, mid 10s 130+ I thought maybe the rules changed, but I haven't seen an NHRA rule book in quite a while

There is a new NHRA rule that if the car is factory stock it doesn't need the roll bar/cage. Now if you put a set of slicks or drag radials, it is not considered stock. 11.49 needs roll bar built to rules. 9.99 needs cert'd cage and comp license among a lot of other gear. There are some rules between the two like drive shaft loops, sfi stuff, etc.

Rather than building to NHRA standards designed for lightweight cars, the diesel orgs should either develop their own safety standards for the heavier and faster trucks or lobby the NHRA to develop safety standards specifically for go fast diesel trucks, then they need to adopt and enforce the standards.
!
I agree with personally building safety into the equipment above what is mandated, but having one of the diesel orgs develop their own rules will not work as there will not be any competitors. There are already diesel racers that don't abide by NHRA rules at every event. I don't think the small diesel orgs will accept the liability and I know the diesel racers will not accept more rules/regulations placed an already expensive sport.

Lets suppose that "grudge car" that runs 5's is running at a janky 8th mile track- He has a 6 point bar, and that is it. The janky-ass track only has metal guardrails. In the event of an accident with injury, who would you say should shoulder the blame?

Driver.

Last edited:
still trying to figure out what race was in question, or the incident that lead to this topic. link?

There have been 2 gnarly ones at 8th mile tracks in the last month- I had no idea someone died at SGMP- Their tech is on point fir that event.

After pondering the last few days over this, and relating it back to my home track (Castrol Raceway Edmonton), I still think it's in the end up to the driver on the track for most of the cases. You know your gear, you know if it's safe or not, and by the time you are at the power level to hurt yourself or others at a track, you should know what a good track condition is.

If your rig is involved in a wreck and it can be proven or seen that you were well below an acceptable level of safety, you should be held culpable.

If you get in a wreck and there is lack of safety personnel or equipment to rescue you. You should have not raced in the first place, but the track would be held culpable for that. Sanctioning a race with little to no safety personnel is pretty sketch.

If you are a fan, and you are further down the track than 200 feet, your risk factor is exponential in my opinion. The faster these guys get going in 1/8th and further, the farther themselves or their parts will go. I would rather watch the launches and wheel stands at the 100 foot mark then watch at the end where they are doing mach chicken past you.

TV shows and the Internet video's (1320, Mexico racing league, etc etc) are glorifying street racing, and it seems that tracks are trying to accommodate. Where as a profitable track with good surface prep, proper staff, and good rescue services might not want to take on the venue. A failing track might assume the risks and overlook things to get in a good one night score from a bunch of street guys. With this glorification and more and more SCTO/Grudge racing venues, there will be more accidents and fatalities until people go back to the proper venues and governing bodies that have a reputation for safety and hold people accountable to it.

But in the end, if you were on Street Outlaws and had your NHRA license pulled and kill yourself or other people because you took your car to a seedy track on a money grab night. that's no one's fault but the driver.

Tough question Tim. But there are several responsible parties, #1 IHRA/NHRA Chassis sticker tech, should know all the details of the chassis expected use, and Weight. #2 Track tech, Should look at all points of safety detail, within reason, including weight on all entries. #3 Driver Should over look all the above and make sure he/she is safe for there trip down track, AND consider the track their about to race on, junk tracks are #1 reason folks crash, #2 is over driving the car, and #3 is lack of safety and experience in the car.

this gives 3 points of saftey to be checked, no reason it should ever miss all three!

Also to consider is the draw to small tires are cooler.... an epidemic that surrounds us today, is less is more mentality. to an extent maybe, but not with 2000++ HP/tq and a 8.5" wide radial tire!

That's just insane.

if the driver was killed cuz of lacking safety eqpt its on him...if a spectator gets wiped..well..the lawyers will figure that out but there is an expectation of safety

Back