Philosophical Question

The older I get the more I think about this.

I love having a fast street truck but just a month ago went to an event at Commerce and ran 10.70@129.4 and two other very similar passes without a cage. Don't want a cage either.

Yes it's MY choice to endanger my life but yes, I have a responsibility to be safe for the guy/gal in the other lane.

We all make choices...They make a choice to BE in the other lane knowing the dangers as well.

Tough call all around

I was apparently out of the loop when the rules changed on 11.99 and faster in a hard top and 13.99 and faster in a vert needing a cage. Can anyone tell me roughly when that happened?

Sent from my flashscan v2

I was apparently out of the loop when the rules changed on 11.99 and faster in a hard top and 13.99 and faster in a vert needing a cage. Can anyone tell me roughly when that happened?

Well this was a 1320 video Street Car Takeover event and they were being very relaxed about things. Only thing they said to me AFTER 2 10 sec. passes was that I needed a fire jacket.

I always heard 11.49 or quicker required at least a role bar.

Sent from my flashscan v2

11.99 has been around forever for hard top as far as I know

but I believe it was 12.99 in a vert back in the day. I may have that wrong.

Driver's responsibility to enter with a safe vehicle. There are some death traps running everyday that care more about running their 14.00 than the death wobble. I'd like to say tech would keep them off the track. After working a part time job for a summer at Bandimere, and watching the local track, I would not bet on it. Also in a simulation, I'd be interested in seeing how an 8.50 cage holds up in a 7000lbs+ truck trapping 140mph. Only a matter of time before a new rule is written in blood.

11.99 has been around forever for hard top as far as I know

but I believe it was 12.99 in a vert back in the day. I may have that wrong.

And I may be mistaken on the vert number, not sure. I've seen some SUPER fast stuff run at the track though recently without even a basic rollbar, mid 10s 130+ I thought maybe the rules changed, but I haven't seen an NHRA rule book in quite a while

All you need to do is get signs made. Just like the ones that read "caution wet floor", but instead they read "Caution moving parts in motion". All good LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHFAOUqA9sE
This is a great video to watch from start to finish many things that most everyone does not ask themselves when they show up for a race at any track. It does not matter if it's a stock vehicle or a 8sec truck, it's up to the driver to make sure they have a safe and correct setup so they are safe and others around them are as well. It is also the driver's responsibility to make sure the track is safe and making everyone follow rules.

I heard "pack your schidt up and leave" at least 3 times. :clap:

First off what happened this weekend?

Second what if the unsafe car passes into the other lane and kills you, or someone you know. To me this is the reason rules must be in place, to help protect the innocennt. I complete understand racing in racing and **** will happen I get that but I dont want to be next to a guy that has a home built fuel systen because AN fittings are to expensive.

And I may be mistaken on the vert number, not sure. I've seen some SUPER fast stuff run at the track though recently without even a basic rollbar, mid 10s 130+ I thought maybe the rules changed, but I haven't seen an NHRA rule book in quite a while

with as fast as OEM cars are these days, you'll often see a no bar/cage car get one or two glory runs before they're told to slow it down or not allowed to run

and then they sneak more runs at a later date

at least that's what I've seen happen

I'd lay odds someone in their early twenties knocks down a guardrail or climbs a wall in a 4x4 of some make, a pile of nitrous and some neato mudd gripplers (sic)

I also wanted to just go ahead and make sure that I get to re-read this on page two!

neato mudd gripplers

that there's poetry

Some tracks obviously just don't care.

Hell I ran three back to back 10 second passes, all over 130mph and all they asked is if I had a helmet. No jacket or cage questions at all. No I don't have a cage or roll bar.

This was at Cecil county.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Some tracks obviously just don't care.

Hell I ran three back to back 10 second passes, all over 130mph and all they asked is if I had a helmet. No jacket or cage questions at all. No I don't have a cage or roll bar.

This was at Cecil county.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Friend of mine went 9.60s over 140 2 weeks ago at Cecil, they finally told him one more run then he had to get a comp license... His truck is caged etc though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHFAOUqA9sE
This is a great video to watch from start to finish many things that most everyone does not ask themselves when they show up for a race at any track. It does not matter if it's a stock vehicle or a 8sec truck, it's up to the driver to make sure they have a safe and correct setup so they are safe and others around them are as well. It is also the driver's responsibility to make sure the track is safe and making everyone follow rules.

good video.

Driver's responsibility to enter with a safe vehicle. There are some death traps running everyday that care more about running their 14.00 than the death wobble. I'd like to say tech would keep them off the track. After working a part time job for a summer at Bandimere, and watching the local track, I would not bet on it. Also in a simulation, I'd be interested in seeing how an 8.50 cage holds up in a 7000lbs+ truck trapping 140mph. Only a matter of time before a new rule is written in blood.

I've said something similar a number of times... cage rules based on ETs from the NHRA that were created with 2500-3500-pound Camaros and Mustangs in mind are likely NOT adequate to protect the driver of a 6000-7500-pound truck running the same ET at 20-40 MPH faster speed. We can't cheat physics, more speed and more mass equals more energy in a crash and a stronger cage will need to be built to protect the driver in the event that stuff goes bad!!!

Rather than building to NHRA standards designed for lightweight cars, the diesel orgs should either develop their own safety standards for the heavier and faster trucks or lobby the NHRA to develop safety standards specifically for go fast diesel trucks, then they need to adopt and enforce the standards.

Anyone who thinks the same diameter and wall thickness cage that will protect a Camaro driver at 120 will protect a quad-cab diesel truck driver at 140 is not considering the physics of the matter, or just ignoring the facts.

I worry that someone will get hurt badly or killed at one of our events and then the NHRA will step in and put a stop to diesel truck racing at sanctioned tracks until they develop safety standards or for good... I HOPE I NEVER see that day!!!!

As far as track operators go, some take it much more serious than others. We have seen some events where water or debris is put down and the track guys just let them keep running while we have seen others that are very good about tech and safety!!!

Ultimately it does come down to personal responsibility. Make sure your stuff is safe, not only for you but also for your competition, the track crews and the fans and if you take all those things into consideration then the risk will be reduced, but nothing can make it go away all together!

Lets suppose that "grudge car" that runs 5's is running at a janky 8th mile track- He has a 6 point bar, and that is it. The janky-ass track only has metal guardrails. In the event of an accident with injury, who would you say should shoulder the blame?

Lets suppose that "grudge car" that runs 5's is running at a janky 8th mile track- He has a 6 point bar, and that is it. The janky-ass track only has metal guardrails. In the event of an accident with injury, who would you say should shoulder the blame?

Driver.

What happened to cause the wreck - mechanical failure of some sort on the car or did something to do with the track cause the accident or cause the accident to be more severe? i.e. did the janky ass metal guardrail come apart and impale the driver?

Most likely though, my opinion is it's on the driver. If car/vehicle overpowered the track because it's a jank track with jank prep & maintenance to the race surface, then that's still on the driver IMO. A driver of a serious race vehicle should take into account the need for a well-prepped track in order for them to operate the vehicle as safely as possible. Wouldn't go ice racing without proper equipment or setup. Shouldn't go to a jank track with potentially slick conditions with full power or maybe shouldn't go to that type of track at all if you know it's janky and potentially unsafe for the speeds you have the ability of reaching.

Last edited:
What happened to cause the wreck - mechanical failure of some sort on the car or did something to do with the track cause the accident or cause the accident to be more severe? i.e. did the janky ass metal guardrail come apart and impale the driver?

Most likely though, my opinion is it's on the driver. If car/vehicle overpowered the track because it's a jank track with jank prep & maintenance to the race surface, then that's still on the driver IMO. A driver of a serious race vehicle should take into account the need for a well-prepped track in order for them to operate the vehicle as safely as possible. Wouldn't go ice racing without proper equipment or setup. Shouldn't go to a jank track with potentially slick conditions with full power or maybe shouldn't go to that type of track at all if you know it's janky and potentially unsafe for the speeds you have the ability of reaching.

A no-prep race is gonna have a slick surface. That's why it's called no-prep.

Back