Photo of a H2 Cam compared to 04.5 stocker

Why is the lift lower on the exhaust as compared to stock? If a ported head is used, and a HElix 2 installed, should high ratio rockers be used? If yes what are physical and functional limits of high ratio rockers. Good educational thread.

The wider lobe is not needed with the Helix 2 grind.

Longer duration allows a slower lift on the lobe compared to stock. The wider lobe also slows tappet rotation which adds to higher wear on regrind cams. Rotating the tappets ( called sliding tappets also ) are key to slower wear.

The Helix is harder at the lobe as well. The lighter overall rotating mass/weight helps avoid breakage under heavy loads. Simply less mass.

When the molds are produced, we can make them any configuration we like. Wider, not as wide, etc. A larger diameter, etc. The Helix is made this way by design.

The only load we dont like on the Helix cast cams is a 13mm inline P pump. Actually it is not the load to turn the P pump, but the unloading and shock that can oocur if a driveline piece breaks and the load is removed quickly.

The Helix lobes are the same width as the 12V cam, but not as wide as the 24 and CR. Some discussion has occured on paying for another mold, but this has not been needed. Our wear rates are the lowest we have seen on any of the cams available.

Do you still have the lowest wear rates with those narrow lobes and low zinc oil?

Do I smell a cam price war coming on??? I'll take a $199 Big stick cam...:rockwoot::ft:

Zach, throw up a photo of your cam next to a stocker, wouldn't mind a look see......and if your free with the profile degree it out.

I'm thinking a catchy name helps with sales, it just one of those things.

I did take some measurements of the H2 but forget already of course.

You can search all the forums, not very many people have had bad luck with that cam. Thats what it come down to when I put in my build, wanted the billet version but they wern't ready yet. Dockboy got one, looks trick.

:Cheer:

We have designed the our cam cores with a larger core diameter as well as wider lobes. We also typically have more lift than the other drop in cams. That is why we chose the name bigstick. From now on we will go by the
@.050" duration and lift at the valve for a name. I initially thought you had to have a fancy name like sportsman, helix, maxspool, etc to sell a cam. From now on no fancy names, just real world specs and the best grinds on the market.
Zach Hamilton

Does anybody know the lobe width of the Helix-2 yet?
Zach
What about you Don? How wide is the lobe on your cam? Do I have to buy one to find out?
Zach

Do you still have the lowest wear rates with those narrow lobes and low zinc oil?

what happened to this:
I do try to keep the pissing matches to a minimum and not hijack threads and turn them to promote my products. I believe the squeeky clean ad campaign is best. However in this he said she said world sometimes you have to get into the trenches and get a little dirty. Thankyou for your concern. I will try to keep a squeeky clean ad campaign.

I believe the squeeky clean ad campaign is best. However in this he said she said world sometimes you have to get into the trenches and get a little dirty. Thankyou for your concern

I believe the squeeky clean ad campaign is best. However in this he said she said world sometimes you have to get into the trenches and get a little dirty. Thankyou for your concern

Kinda like that 13mm pump you sold me that turned out to be a 12mm pump with busted weights that i was delightfully informed of by a GREAT injection company! But i doubt you'll try and take care of that either?

Will, he just likes to read what he posts. After all look at the last page, he just keeps posting and posting and nobody is biting. Business must be slow. Look out, probably time for him to run a sale on cams. :hehe:

Geez's, Wally, I guess the viewing audience will be held hostage for the next year listening to CAM BASICS 101 as you go through your learning curve.

Maybe you can, once again, cite your newly found acronym. Hey, can't you save a few bucks and just add a little bottle of that STP oil treatment. Doesn't it contain a higly refined batch of those little fancy molecular atoms called zztop….opps……zeebra…..I……I mean…………………... what was that called again, ZACK?

Last edited:
I've had a couple of different cams and read several cam threads. Does anyone have a drop in cam ground on a new blank that will out perform the Helix2 on the top and still spool well on the bottom. Most of the feedback i have seen shows the cam good for either the bottom end and towing, or top end only. Never both. This would be for a 24v p-pump.

Why is the lift lower on the exhaust as compared to stock? If a ported head is used, and a HElix 2 installed, should high ratio rockers be used? If yes what are physical and functional limits of high ratio rockers. Good educational thread.

Does anyone have an idea about this?

Does anyone have an idea about this?

I'm just going to hazard a speculation about this, but less lift on the exhaust side is probably made up for (and made better by) the extended duration. The whole point of the longer duration/shorter lift is that the valve train lives an easier life.

The Helix 2s I've profiled have insignificantly lower exhaust lift, which I imagine helps avoid valve-piston contact with the lobes' much longer exhaust duration.

IMO, high-ratio rockers are pointless w/o extensive internal engine modifications... the window of potential valve action determined by degrees of crank rotation is limited by the space available between the piston & valve faces.

Yes lower lift is offset by longer duration. If you are looking for more power, then higher lift helps flow even more. High ratio rockers should be the last purchase someone should make. They essentially amplify the acceleration and lift of the valve. Considering their cost it would be cheaper and better performance wise if someone got an aggressive cam with stock rockers than a mild cam and high ratio rockers.

Hey Fletch is there something wrong with ZDDP? Or do you just like giving me hell? Do you have any cam specs or insight to offer or do you just like typing OMG! to a guy you feel doesn't know what he is doing. I feel honored that you are threatened by me. It makes my day to know I'm in your head!

Zach Hamilton

"AND SO ARE THE DAYS OF OUR LIVES"

Like a freakin Soup Opera around here!!!! LOL

Personally, I'm a big fan of ZDDP... it's absence is often accompanied by wiped lobes, mushroomed crank gears and galled rocker shafts. :hehe:

I'm just going to hazard a speculation about this, but less lift on the exhaust side is probably made up for (and made better by) the extended duration. The whole point of the longer duration/shorter lift is that the valve train lives an easier life.

I thought that was the trade off, but the other part of question still remains. With head porting and more flow at higher lift, would higher ratio rockers on exhaust side be beneficial with increased RPM?

I thought that was the trade off, but the other part of question still remains. With head porting and more flow at higher lift, would higher ratio rockers on exhaust side be beneficial with increased RPM?

Re-read post 143, sums it up good

Nothing speculative about the mechanical valve/piston relationship... I can't read Don's mind, but if I designed a cam profile it couldn't be much different from a Helix 2 based on it's intended usage.

An efficient path targeted to a particular power level using a majority of OEM parts is defined by the laws of physics, and as such is readily described by the relevant mathematical equations.

Helix cams work well more as a result of common sense than rocket science.

Back