problems spooling S300

Hawker

For some reason, as the motor sits right now, I have trouble pushing more than 15 psi through a 64/65 S300. The pump is completely stock, but I put in 250hp injectors. 3K springs, AFC and fuel plate to come soon.

found a couple small boost leaks on the bolts that clamp the charger on, but nothing too big. I would think that turbo would overcome them without an issue.

The turbo will scream, but like I had said, 15psi max, up a hill, into the pedal all the way.

Is it billowing black smoke as it makes the 15 psi, or a faint haze?

Faint haze. I eliminated the waste gate for now, and only have 1 or 2 pinholes left to plug

Faint haze, I would be looking at fuel delivery problems, how did you eliminate the wastegate? On the early PPump motors, I am thinking the lines run from the turbo over to the pump to move the AFC. Where on the later ones, it just jumps from the intake to the AFC.

Last edited:
I pulled the line off the waste gate and plugged it. My afc runs off the intake side.

0-40mph seems peppy, with boost numbers between 3-7psi but anything over 40mph and1/2 throttle on is doggy. I was thinking afc and fuel plate too

I think timing is slightly retarted right now, even though I had left it stock when I put it in the truck. Have to advance it a bit to take care of a slight skip at higher rpms

In this sort of situation I tell people to take the foot out of the afc and go for a test drive, it takes all of 5 minutes to do and it will tell you if you have a problem getting boost to the afc. Of course this is only a temporary removal. :)

seriously before you disassemble the entire truck:

- eliminate boost leaks
- ensure AFC is getting signal (left mine unhooked one time...10psi is all i saw)
- verify fuel

I had one truck come to me that was gutless, tried many things and it turned out being a pinhole in the diaphragm on the AFC. If you see no other issues, pull the AFC and bench test it.

Also what Chris said, if the AFC is not working properly, the IP will not achieve maximum rack travel, limiting fuel. Low boost (boost leaks) will also cause this to happen.

Eliminated 95% of the boost leaks. Mainly coming from where the charger seats to the center setup.

Still can't break past 15 psi. Afc and fuel plate mods are tomorrow night, but something else must be wrong if this thing can't push past 15

Would fuel governing have that much of an affect on how much exhaust pressure the turbo sees? I would think even headed uphil at full throttle it would see a little more than that.

Don't forget to check the diaphragm when u pull the afc tomorrow. (Like Chris Mallett stated)

Back