Pushing water

cranked_dodge

Diesel Pro
We are having issues with our engine and we are not sure what exactly our issue is coming from.

5.9CR fire ringed
running Scheid rings and 24V gasket cut for rings
fly cut pistons
electric water pump
hard filled block except for water pump area and top 2 inched of the block
so we run water through the top of the block and head.
110 lbs of boost
90-95 lbs drive pressure
5000rpm

We are pushing water out the overflow doesn't matter if we are at idle or under full load.

It increases the amount pushed under full load.

We have had the head checked for flatness and cracks.
Block has been checked
Fire ring depth is good.

We are not blowing the gasket out anywhere that we can see.

Running a 16lb rad cap.

Just looking for some thoughts on this as we have racked our brain on this for the full season

Stupid question but have you tried a different cap yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have tried a couple different ones but we haven't gone any higher that the 16lb one. We were thinking od going to a 20lb and seeing what happens

I had the same problem with mine pushing water under full load. An electric water pump took care of my issue

It may be a shot in the dark, but could you have a crack in the block filler causing the water to cavitate?

My bet it's a hairline crack in the head allowing pressure into the coolant.

We have had the head off and tested. Magnaflux and pressure. Checked out good.
We arent getting oil in coolant nor water in oil

Blocks good too. Had that checked out beginning of this season. And being hard filled not much area to be an issue

YOU SAID: We are pushing water out the overflow doesn't matter if we are at idle or under full load.

It increases the amount pushed under full load.

Did you take the rad cap off and check for bubbles? Only other thing would be the pump itself I assume there is no thermostat?

Last edited:
We have pulled the cap off while running and there are no bubbles coming in the system.

We do not have a thermostat in the truck.

I suppose it could be the pump itself maybe its spinning to fast for some reason.

Or its possible that we need a rad cap that's stronger than 16lbs.

its not until we get a little bit of heat in the engine at idle that it starts to push. so maybe a stronger rad cap will keep it in the system as engine temps rise

I would retest the head at operating temp. Or just run a different head and see what happens!

we are going to get the head retested again. Running a different head is a little tougher as we have the intake cut off to run a side draft intake.

Just wanted to throw this out there to get some more ideas as we have been scratching our heads for a while on this

You might want to think about a restrictor in the top hose. Have you ever checked it at operating temp with the blue fluid cooling system tester? Just a idea.

No we havent tested it with the blue fluid system tester.

Restrictor in the top hose just something to swedge the flow down a bit?

Open to all ideas right now

Without thermostat or restrictor it could be running so much volume through radiator, it's not cooling down enough and actually boiling water

Back