Ram50

I think this would be your best bet. They make top-notch manifolds and this is the drop style you would need. Just flip it like 95-12valve said.

Steed Speed - Cummins Common rail manifold

commonrail_037.31392836_std.JPG

Didn't even think about the CR steeds. Leen should be able to just weld 12 valve flanges on one and it should work like a champ

lol, the passengers will at least have to have a good work boot on.

DEZLFREK, I'm not quite with the program yet. lol. Who's Taylor? Also, again if this was yours, would you go ahead and step up to a 476?

I called Steed Speed and got a voicemail. Most of the voicemail was explaining why they were backlogged in shipping. This worries me a little that I'd have to wait a while to get a manifold.

Thanks for the info 95-12vavle. I was thinking I read somewhere they were a different pattern.

I called the Chester Mud Truck fella. He was on a road call and said he'd call back when he was done. Yea ha.

Thanks for the info 95-12vavle. I was thinking I read somewhere they were a different pattern.

Should be same bolt pattern, just the ports are round on a 24v/CR where they're square on the 12 valves. Like I said, Leen 'should' be able to just put 12 valve outlet flanges on that style, try emailing them. You may get a quicker response.
steedl@telus.net

Taylor is a site sponsor here and has Manning motorsports, he can get you what you need for all your exhaust side, manifold, spool valve, li476.. and yes I would step up to the bigger turbo because Ill bet your going to end up around 850hp without trying to hard if you combination is put together right.. big part of that will be the right stall converter.. something like a loose 2500rpm or a tight 3000 will have this turbo at almost full boost for launch, and also will be easy to drive on the street..

Very cool project! Can't wait to see the outcome!
Thanks for posting up about that manifold, I've been wondering what options where available, if any, to upgrade the one on my ford.

DEZLFREK, I would be very satisfied to make 850HP. You keep talking like that and I'm gonna have to raise my goals. lol. I'll give Taylor a call later on. Thanks for his info. I've got a ton of chassis stuff to buy and install and I'm actually thinking now of trying to build my own exhaust manifold.

I spent quite a bit of time this evening ordering steering and brake parts from Summit.

A good friend brought his 4 corner scales over today. When you see the numbers, keep in mind I have a bunch of crap to put on yet. Big items like turbo, tranny, cage, trans tunnel, radiator, antifreeze, and few other items will certainly add to the poundage. My last build (with aluminum headed BBF) weighed less than this completed with 44 boggers on the rear. But, it was cut to crap. I just don't want to do that with this truck. We may hack a bit on the frame in places, but, for the most part, she'll only gain weight from here on.

100_7149_zpsabcc87af.jpg

Here is a shot of my front brakes.

100_7148_zps7ecc5784.jpg

A shot of the little girl on the scales with the wife's ride in the background.

100_7151_zpsbb4788e3.jpg

Yea, she makes all the money, but, she wont give me any of it. lol

Talked to the 'Chester Hensley' this evening. He has the Chester mud truck mentioned earlier in the thread. Super duper nice fella who was considerate enough to call me back after a 16 hr work day. I learned quite a bit from this fella on our short phone conversation. He in fact ran a 13" converter in front of a glide (he thought it was a dedenbear case/housing) for several seasons without a freshen-up. He said it was just on the verge of impossible to get the big horse in there, but, he and his tranny guys got it done. Chester said they cut the converter pads (where it bolts to the flywheel) down to the point that only a 1/2" long bolt was used to secure the converter.

I am sorta waiting on Gregg at FTI before I go elsewhere, he seemed interested in helping me, but, is also very busy at the moment. I just hate the waiting. But, it should be well worth it.

well im glad you paying attention to you trans setup because that will be a huge part of the whole combo for the motor/turbo

Mike's transmission here in California can also setup a glide for you buddy. Let me know if I cam help in any way. Chesters truck runs very well and launches hard on his glide.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I found some time to work on the little truck today. Received the steering parts and most of my brake stuff.

I also committed to a powerglide today. I bought the glide from FTI out of Florida. Gregg at FTI was the only one, out of all the tranny places I spoke with, who seemed interested in helping with the 13" converter deal. I am going to run a 1/4" thick mid-plate not only for the converter install but also to help stiffen the chassis a bit. I can also hang the tranny with a mid plate installed and won't have to worry about a tranny cross member.

Here's the installed pinto rack & pinion

100_7161_zpsd5e2292d.jpg

100_7162_zps9a36e321.jpg

100_7163_zpsfcf1cedc.jpg

100_7164_zpsaf2829b4.jpg

Got the brake pedal bent over out of the way

100_7165_zps0e645a32.jpg

...took some time yesterday and 'cheese grated' the engine mounts. I'll have to admit, seeing that 2564lb reading the other day has inspired me to get 'er down as close to 3000lb as possible.

100_7166_zps94b91f52.jpg

I also received my new full width housing and axles from Moser today. I will be doing my best to get it into place tomorrow.

Here are a couple shots of the wife's truck backed under the construction/race trailer. We weren't sure if she'd still fit under there after the 8" lift & 37's. However, I think we will be OK. We will really have to pay attention to the top of the tailgate for clearance in any situation where the front of the truck drops down.

100_7154_zps94a3ec43.jpg

100_7153_zps739f91c4.jpg

Last edited:
Lots of changes and updates.

Finally completed the rear installation. It's been in and out three times!!!! I made a big dumb mistake and I practice self humiliation, so, this is what happened. I worked for a half a day fab'n my slider brackets and bolted them to the springs. Grabbed the empty moser 9" housing and jacked it in place, centered it, set my pinion angle, and proceeded to weld it in. I just finished the last weld and my 14 year old nephew came up to check it out. He's looking at the housing and sliders and welds and says, 'Hey Arch, how come there is a hole in the bottom of the axle tube'? Yep, I welded the g&^%$Om thing in upside down!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Out she came, I carefully cut the sliders off the tubes, ground 'em clean and welded it, again, back in place. Spent the next day setting up the ladder bars and looking at it. The front of the bars stuck down 6" below the frame. I've seen plenty of mud trucks like this and they work fine. However, I just wasn't happy with them. So, out the rear comes again and the second round of cutting off the sliders destroyed them. I fab'd up a new lighter set and placed the rear above the springs. Set ladder bars and tacked in place. I love the rake for sand and mud racing, but, she's gonna look goofy at the drag strip. I may try to source some 14" rims and tires to run on the front for drag racing. I will be switching to 29.5 swampers on the front when running in the mud. These combined with the scoops/cut 35's gives her a bad azz stance.

100_7173_zps0cd6d7ee.jpg

100_7174_zps4ed31450.jpg

100_7175_zps6f7a858b.jpg

100_7177_zps06880097.jpg

Some changes. I decided to move the firewall back. This will make things much easier when I go to mount the turbo and exhaust. Also, when we pull the Injection pump off, we had to hack a bit on the firewall to get it loose. I have also decided to drop my weight goal to 3000 lbs. So, I started gutting and cutting. She will still be street legal, however.

100_7186_zps1e06ea51.jpg

100_7187_zps6324918d.jpg

100_7188_zpse2048d13.jpg

I received my 1.625 x .083 roll bar tubing (chrome moly) and have wasted the whole day today trying to get a good bend. I have never used chrome moly before so I had no idea it was this difficult to bend. The first attempt looks like this.

100_7181_zpsf01a9b32.jpg

I jumped on the internet and read that filling with sand helps.

The old bender. This 'ol girl has never failed me.
100_7178_zps305b715d.jpg

Sand plug and Sand packer
100_7182_zps810b3d8e.jpg

100_7183_zpsfa14d356.jpg

My little helpers. Nothing beats a family that races together!!!!
100_7184_zpsca5d4cf6.jpg

100_7185_zpsbd6ac0a5.jpg

And the result
100_7180_zpsc65c58af.jpg

What a huge disappointment. I even took the rosebud and heated the next attempt and it just isn't working out. The 'ol bender is fine for mild steel, but, I'm gonna have to step up my tool game to get this chrome moly bent.

I'm still studying turbos. I am definitely going with a single and I am leaning towards an S480 ish. I had the pleasure of watching Brian Vannest pull at one of our local fairs this weekend. His pump is very similar to the one I'm getting. Brian is making way above HP numbers than what I've got my goal set at. I mean waaaaay above. He's running a S480.

Powerglide hit the dyno last week and I should see it some time this week. Gregg with FTI said he got the converter to work using a 1/2" midplate. He said he saved all the programming and is ready for more. So, If you want a glide in your ride, he'll get 'er done with the 13" converter. Problem solved!!!!!

Last edited:
What kind of numbers was vannest claiming? His motor takes in a whole bunch of laughing gas during his runs.

Good progress! With 800hp and 3000lbs it should move good!

99GreenCummins, I'm not sure that particular info was for print. lol The number he gave me was fuel only. I made sure I asked.

ENafziger, thanks for the info. I've put off buying a real good bender for years. I ordered a JD Squared bender and have it in hand. I ordered the dies and they should be here by mid next week. Other than having to purchase more dies for different size tubing, I can now bend anything. We are in the process of building a 40x60 shop to provide fabrication and welding services so the bender will come in handy for the business.

We took the time waiting on the bender to mount the bed. I couldn't resist throwing the scoops on and giving you all a little taste of what she'll look like. I dropped the front tire size down from 34" to 29.5" thanks to BMR!!!!!. The tailgate is removable for the sand drags and mud drags.

100_7192_zpsdc3b9f6c.jpg

100_7191_zpsfb1e775d.jpg

100_7190_zps8927aee7.jpg

100_7189_zps750c452f.jpg

ENafziger, thanks for the info. I've put off buying a real good bender for years. I ordered a JD Squared bender and have it in hand. I ordered the dies and they should be here by mid next week. Other than having to purchase more dies for different size tubing, I can now bend anything. We are in the process of building a 40x60 shop to provide fabrication and welding services so the bender will come in handy for the business.

They seem like pretty good benders. I have one on my to-get list.

Yea baby!!! This is how bend'n is supposed to work.

100_7194_zps5370620f.jpg

100_7195_zps6fb19ee8.jpg

This is a sneak peak of my Schied Ride. She's an '89 Jetta with a NA 1.6 Diesel. I'm gonna bracket race with it. The wife and kids have dubbed it the 'Getto Jett'o'

100_7196_zps43074b6f.jpg

Ordered turbo, diverter valve, and manifold from Taylor last Thursday. Went with S-480 and stainless manifold.

We were able to get some of the cage constructed.

new front cab mounts

100_7214_zps7ae98ae2.jpg

Tied cage directly to frame using existing cab frame mounts

100_7213_zpsf5d78b70.jpg

100_7212_zpsbb789b33.jpg

100_7210_zpsa4e54896.jpg

100_7211_zps87281097.jpg

100_7209_zps76141c47.jpg

My Son surprised me with a new stack today. Good boy lol

100_7206_zpsefad893e.jpg

100_7205_zpsce57b019.jpg

Stole this idea from stock600's pics in 'Diesel World' mag. The crank sensor is off my old Big Block Chevy.

100_7215_zps38daac75.jpg

Tranny & converter are setting on the floor. I have a mid plate ordered from ART in Florida and I need to have another 1/4" spacer plate made to mount tranny. I need to finish enough of the cage to remove the cab and take it to the paint shop so the tranny install will have to wait.

Last edited:
Back