Roll Cages

I got to buy a damn NHRA Rulebook just to see the rules. WTF con artist's.

See I still don't really understand those rules cause they don't really break it down. Like hey if you want to run in this class etc. You must have this blah blah blah.

Blaze sorry to see that. This is the main reason why I want this roll bar. I just don't see how there won't be enough support with just the side bar's and the main hoop. It's the 12.0 class not that damn fast LOL

Now that S10 is sexy beaver. That's my next project Just need to find a engine tran's 9 inch rear etc.

its not just about how fast, its the weight of these big trucks rolling and crushing that cab to bits and i wouldnt put my life on the line for just a roll bar inside the cab. I was lucky in my rollover and happy i made it out, but its 10point at least from here on out.

No I have not, and I hear what you are saying about wanting it. I'm just saying either do a cage either style, or a bar with back bars if you are going to do anything. I got the impression at first you just wanted something like a single hoop like a convertible would have. I see what you mean now. Sorry for the confusion.

I put a full cage in my race truck even though I don't plan on running quicker than 10.0. 2" dia. .120 wall DOM, tig welded. Like paulb's bar, it is welded to outriggers, which are welded on the outboard side of the frame. I figured crashing at 133 wasn't much better than crashing at 135, so I sacrificed the weight.

894845312_ezJdw-L.jpg

894845088_2kVDp-L.jpg

Do you have any more pics of how you installed your cage. I'm doing an 8 point roll bar in mine right now just wantin some pics to look at for ideas.

Great thread here guys. Save your money on the NHRA rule book it will cause you to drink because everything is based on cars. It is very very vague and confusing for trucks.
Unfortunately I am in the same position my truck so far it has only ran 12.05 @ 129.85 and 11.65@ 124.5 in the few passes I have had it out for but I am scared for my life on the street a 2WD is scary on the street with lots of power. I never thought of trying to get the bar above the head liner that is sweet. The main reason I dont want a cage is because it is a street truck and I dont really want to cut it up but I also want to go fast so seing some of these ideas is great.

Thanks to all and keep em coming.

The main reason I dont want a cage is because it is a street truck and I dont really want to cut it up but I also want to go fast so seing some of these ideas is great.

Thanks to all and keep em coming.

Ive got the same problem. Im thinking of building a bolt in for mine.

Another thing is Im not a fan of chromoly. I have seen chromoly rock crawlers blow apart when rolled.I think that is the reason nascar dose not use chromoly I think it is to brittle for a hevy truck. If I had a super fast car I would use dom.

Last edited:
subscribed as well, anyone else have pics of thier 6 point in a standard cab second gen? thanks.

If there are any 2nd gen ext cabs with cages a pic would be greatly appreciated. Brian

Someone said 135MPH requires full cage regardless of time is that true?

We are building a 25.5 spec cage, the SFI book is A LOT more specific. However it is only good to 3600lbs. Which kills it for most Diesel people.

If there are any 2nd gen ext cabs with cages a pic would be greatly appreciated. Brian

Agreed, I would like to see some to, I'm debating a roll bar for my truck in the future, even though I'm only shooting for mid to lower 12s might be nice to have the added protection. I've seen a few trucks get a bit squirrely on the track when there have been spills that went unnoticed, and a roll over at 80-90mph prolly not recommended for a good time. :badidea:

Do you have any more pics of how you installed your cage. I'm doing an 8 point roll bar in mine right now just wantin some pics to look at for ideas.

Here's some more pics.

The smaller tube going up front is the seat support. Seats are anchored to the cage via a hoop/cradle and cross braces that come off the main hoop. Idea being the seat stays inside the cage if bad stuff happens, it is anchored vertically to the floor though too. Tube looks wimpy, but it's 1" in contrast to the main hoop 2"
1001545665_9749n-M.jpg

sidebars are welded
1001545711_iLh6q-M.jpg

1001545734_6Dsua-M.jpg

outrigger
1001545769_GrWzF-M.jpg

Here's some more pics.

The smaller tube going up front is the seat support. Seats are anchored to the cage via a hoop/cradle and cross braces that come off the main hoop. Idea being the seat stays inside the cage if bad stuff happens, it is anchored vertically to the floor though too. Tube looks wimpy, but it's 1" in contrast to the main hoop 2"
1001545665_9749n-M.jpg

sidebars are welded
1001545711_iLh6q-M.jpg

1001545734_6Dsua-M.jpg

outrigger
1001545769_GrWzF-M.jpg

Thank you thats exactly what I was looking for. Do you have any pics of how it is attached to the bed? And thanks again.

That is a sweet set up now that is one that I would put in my truck!

For NHRA rules as they apply to our trucks (not talking about door cars, altereds, dragsters, etc.), a roll bar is required from 11.49 to 10.00. A roll bar requires back bars. In our trucks, a roll cage can be used from 11.49 and quicker, and again in our trucks does not have to have back bars. A roll cage though has an extra bars inside the cab. A roll cage is generally less streetable, and in fact can be a safety issue without a helmet. A well designed roll bar is not a problem on the street nor is it a safety problem. Here are some pictures of the roll bar in my 05.

You have to look hard to see the main hoop in this pic:

2005_Dodge_Roll_Cage_Install_031.jpg

Here is the main hoop before the headliner and other trim pieces went back in:

2005_Dodge_Roll_Cage_Install_027.jpg

Here is a pic of the back bars from the bed:

2005_Dodge_Roll_Cage_Install_012.jpg

With this roll bar, and all the other required safety equipment, the truck is legal to 10.00 and still very streetable. The door bars are removeable (both sides). It has both the 5 point harness as well as the orginal DOT approved belts.

Hope this helps...
Paul

okay lets bring this old thread back...anybody got anymore pictures of this? I need a cage in my 2nd gen regular cab dodge but I still street drive it. I like the install with the bars above the headliner. That looks clean. I dont really want a full cage inside my cab but i know its safer. Has anybody run it under the stock dash and right next to the a pillar so it would be out the way? And How did you guys with the removable door bars build them and how do you have them removable? Any pics would be great! Thanks

i looked hard at the s&w prebuilt cage but I had a cage builder tell me that sometimes it takes longer to install the prebuilt cage than it would have to custom bend one and they usually dont fit as well. Im not sure though. Has anybody used one of the s&w cages? How did it fit?

Back