Scheid 5k gsk who's running them?

stock600

Well not sure if i like them or not. I changed them yesterday and nothing else and went to the track. I set them up just per the instructions: just get the nut flush, which was right at the first "soft click" then go 3/4 turn, which was 3 hard clicks. First pass the truck ran its best ever e.t. but layed over even sooner than the 4k springs did and mph'ed less than ever? Gearbound bad. So, i gave each side 2 more clicks and it seemed to pull harder on the end but Really softened up the bottom end fueling? It 60'ed and 330' great with the first setup and idled well, had good control over the idle with the idle screw. After the 2 clicks though, the idle was totally diff., if you idled it super low it would return back to idle ok, but if i set the idle to a normal rpm range it would not return correctly at all, allmost like it wanted to run away, then it would suddenly drop back? Oh and with the add. 2 clicks it sound like a gasser with 330+ deg. of camshaft, it loped like a big dog. All well and good but.. the e.t. slowed 2 tenths and the mph went up 3 mph, weird. There was not enough time left on the track to go back and take 1 click out of it and see the diff.
I will have another neck surgey this comming tue. so the truck will be parked as is for a while. I would have learned more from the trip, the 5k springs set up like they said to though only showed me around 3700 r's, with the extra 2 clicks, a little over 3800. I hate to change the ring and pinion AGAIN, it likes this gear out of the gate. Any other thoughts or opinions on these springs? The kit has 4 springs on each side and even the bottom retainer got replaced this time, the 4k before used the factory bottom one. There were at least one shim under the bottom retainer, but the instructions said to leave anything thats under there in place, there was also 2 shims on each side with the new 5k i believe they were under the 2nd largest spring..... thought.
Thanks Ryan

sounds like youve done all you could with the springs. Ive pretty much heard the same bout them.

springs

We've only had one set act the way yours is. It was on the pump on my truck and with it set according to instructions it wouldn't idle and when I would adjust the idle it would pick up on another spring and run from 450 to 1k really quick. I tightened them down a click on each side and it acted the same way. So I decided that it would be a good time to send the pump to scheids and have them flow it and max it out and pin time it. They called me and said when the were pin timing it they found the tip of a pencil magnet in the fly weight. Apparantly the previous owner who put the 4k springs in it decided to leave me a present I also found a shim in the bottom of the pump when I was putting the springs in so if I ever am injured and can't work on trucks I know who won't be doing my gsk.

sounds like youve done all you could with the springs. Ive pretty much heard the same bout them.

I see, i really expected them to pick up the second half of the track and run out the back door hard, just the opisite; runs better down low ander turns no more r's than the PDR 4k that i had. With the 4k i had ran as slow as high 7's still at 102+ because of traction issues and what not, and my 6.8's and 90's were always 102+. Now with the 5k even the 6.7x's are at 99mph? Gearbound by prob. 550'. I will contact them tomorrow and see what they say, i would love to try someone else's brand of GSK if thier not willing to help. Any suggestions? Thanks Ryan
I just dont want to regear the final drive again to compensate. Its likes the deeper gear out of the gate.:bang

We've only had one set act the way yours is. It was on the pump on my truck and with it set according to instructions it wouldn't idle and when I would adjust the idle it would pick up on another spring and run from 450 to 1k really quick. I tightened them down a click on each side and it acted the same way. So I decided that it would be a good time to send the pump to scheids and have them flow it and max it out and pin time it. They called me and said when the were pin timing it they found the tip of a pencil magnet in the fly weight. Apparantly the previous owner who put the 4k springs in it decided to leave me a present I also found a shim in the bottom of the pump when I was putting the springs in so if I ever am injured and can't work on trucks I know who won't be doing my gsk.

Did Scheid work with you on it Luke and get it right? Hope so. Maybe they will offer some good advise or replace the springs. A cam is prob. what it would really like to have at some point, it likes to be short shifted due to the low peak torq. curve ground into the factory camshaft. The plan to get around that for now is get it to rev to at least 42-4500, make my shifts lower than that where the engine whats to be at then just let high carry it out to the finish even though its out of cam, just so thats still under power and not defueling. This 5k kit should have done just that. I decided to go that route rather than putting a taller gear back in it and having the short times suffer.
Ryan

Get a set of CDS 5K's.

Thanks for the advise Smokem. I will talk with scheid, see if they want these back. In your dealings with these others do you think they will have the better bottom pull along with proper rpm. When they say 5k is that suppose to be up to 5k freewheeling or heavy fueling to 5k, either way it feels useless to turn it any tighter with this cam, but would love the increased r's just in high gear.... Thanks again Ryan

CDS uses 4 new springs that control the idle without a seat. From what I have found less governor tension adds responsiveness or bottom end, but the sustainable RPM suffers.

This is what im seeing for sure as well. Better bottom end less r's on the big end, with my gearing and goals for trap mph i only need 4100-4200 acual rpm through the traps... one would think thats easily doable with a 5k setup.

Thanks also Brandon!
BTW, let me know when you recieve your check. Thanks again guys.
Ryan

Well ive talked with CDS, [Mark] he said thier 5k setup used only 2 springs, a idle spring and a high end spring? Either way he said they work well and the price was not to much more than what i paid for the Scheids. I say that, it was still like 50 bucks diff. Im just waiting back from Scheid to see what thier willing to do to help. Whos else used the CDS setup and did you at least see 4200 from them? Thanks so much. I like doing things right the first time when ever i can, should have done more reasearch before buying the scheids i suppose. Any other advise on this

I run the CDS gov springs in my 160 pump. I shaved 2/10 off my time. They seem to pull thru 4000 rpm just fine. The top rpm i have seen is 4400. That was from a 3rd to 4th shift.

I run the CDS gov springs in my 160 pump. I shaved 2/10 off my time. They seem to pull thru 4000 rpm just fine. The top rpm i have seen is 4400. That was from a 3rd to 4th shift.

Good to know and thanks, but why want a 5k spring turn 5k? 4400 will be enough, that would allow 117mph for my gearing wich is more than enough, but still why wont the gsk'd turn what thier rated at? The best i got out of my 4k no matter how i tuned it was right at 3850. And ive gotten just about the same out of this 5k, right at 3800 or so? What gives, i have pleanty of fuel, the smoke and pyro told me so. Thanks again

Rpm is rpm. Dont know to answer your question though. I just know i need to pull to at least 4000 in high gear, i kind of understood it not quite making it with the 4k set but no excuse for the 5k to still only spin 3800. My confusion is also the number of springs in diff. gsk sets, so far all ive seen is 4 spring sets. My stockers, my PDR 4k, and scheid 5k have all been a 4 spring setup. But Smokem and others have mentined a 2 spring set,? CDS them selves said thiers is a 4 spring... i just dont know. I know the outer most spring controls the idle but what do the others do...

By a four spring set, you mean two pairs(sets) of srings right? Thats how my stock ones were, as well as the 4k kit that was in my 95.

Jordan

Rpm is rpm. Dont know to answer your question though. I just know i need to pull to at least 4000 in high gear, i kind of understood it not quite making it with the 4k set but no excuse for the 5k to still only spin 3800. My confusion is also the number of springs in diff. gsk sets, so far all ive seen is 4 spring sets. My stockers, my PDR 4k, and scheid 5k have all been a 4 spring setup. But Smokem and others have mentined a 2 spring set,? CDS them selves said thiers is a 4 spring... i just dont know. I know the outer most spring controls the idle but what do the others do...
CDS5k will turn 5K if used in the correct application. It sounds like something in your setup is limiting the power curve. Cam? Converter? Head? Turbo? DP?

There's Brnadon's test hook with his brand new CDS 5Ks turning >4500.
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=31940710

CDS5k will turn 5K if used in the correct application. It sounds like something in your setup is limiting the power curve. Cam? Converter? Head? Turbo? DP?

There's Brnadon's test hook with his brand new CDS 5Ks turning >4500.
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=31940710

Thanks joefarmer, i will prob. be giving them a try still waiting for the dis. of what Schied is going to do, he said he had to talk it over with the chiefs and get back? All i need back is my money so i can try the CDS kit. I am running the factory cam, i ported the crap out of the head, the convertor is very efficent, pleanty of air with the 66mm comp., DP Should be fine since im running a very conservitive 50 psi boost and have the Stainless Steel HTT turbine housing with the great flowing internal dual 1" gates. The gov. is just flat shutting her down. This 97 12v engine and pump have less than 49,000 original miles and the pump has never been off the engine. It just flat runs out of gov. spring, i understand shes out of making any additional ponies prob. past what....34-3500 r's but i need the add. r's just to cruise through the trap under power. Do You Know how many springs there are total on each side in the CDS kit? Thanks a ton! Smokem says 2 and i Do Not dought him, but CDS them selves told me 4 today?? Dont know. After tomorrow evening it wont much matter to me anyway for a few weeks, i'll be layed up a while, the truck will be waiting for me in the shop for what ever new 5k kit arrives here at the house. Hope Scheid takes care of me on this thing.. Ryan:doh:

The set of CDS 5k springs I got had two springs for each side, 4 total. I can rev to 5k but can't hold it down the dirt track, could be my overly aggressive tires and I haven't had much time to test and tune yet. With Piers 4k gsk I got up to 4800rpm.

Thanks, i believe they are a 2 spring setup, but either the guy didnt know his own product OR maybe they have 2 diff. setups?? You wouldnt think so but? Besides the largest or outer most spring, wich other one is used? I suppose it has to come with a diff, lower and upper seat to hold just 2 springs in place? In this setup, does the shim or shims UNDER the lower seat stay as they did in my scheid 5k set up, or do they come out and start fresh? Thanks Ryan

Back