Sdx warning !

I thought they put on a good show this year, and it seemed a little more calm as well. I had a DD and enjoyed myself greatly. As soon as the events were over we got some food and made our way back to the hotel. Cops were being a bit radical imho though. If you were driving a truck, you were being targeted.

I belive Glenn from E.D. took that.

BBD

Wow, didn't know that, was back in the pits and not near a speaker during that time.

This was my 1st SDX. I was treated very well by all of the many Scheid employees, but treated VERY rudely by several police officers. I was NOT doing anything stupid, and it definitely wasn't smoke (I was driving a 2011 Dodge dually rental truck), I was just trying to get back and forth between the vendor area and the dragstrip, and trying to get back into the dragstrip Sunday morning. As anyone who knows me can tell you, I am about the last person to get out of line. It was idiotic that they closed the entry gates to the dragstrip on Sunday and made everyone go through the parking field to get there.

RobH - We still need to talk about gauges and dataloggers sometime, I was on the stage when the fight broke out, so I must have been right by you without even knowing it!

Wow, didn't know that, was back in the pits and not near a speaker during that time.

This was my 1st SDX. I was treated very well by all of the many Scheid employees, but treated VERY rudely by several police officers. I was NOT doing anything stupid, and it definitely wasn't smoke (I was driving a 2011 Dodge dually rental truck), I was just trying to get back and forth between the vendor area and the dragstrip, and trying to get back into the dragstrip Sunday morning. As anyone who knows me can tell you, I am about the last person to get out of line. It was idiotic that they closed the entry gates to the dragstrip on Sunday and made everyone go through the parking field to get there.

RobH - We still need to talk about gauges and dataloggers sometime, I was on the stage when the fight broke out, so I must have been right by you without even knowing it!

Mr 66? Is that you? Good job on taking the win! Proves the fact you dont need a fast truck to win!

Just read the SDX Facebook page and it really saddens me that so many complain about the cops. Am I missing something here? IMO if your not doing anything wrong you shouldn’t have issues with the cops. All these people saying they won’t be back next year because of the cops, GREAT that means it’s working, you’re the ones they don’t want to come back!!!!!

BBD

Went again this year after taking a couple years off. I've been there 5-6 years total. It was at least twice as big (at least) as I remember. I know there was a LOT of pressure on Dan to move or cancel the event by the locals even back then. I remember 1 year guys hooked up an exhaust hose and smoked up a whole hotel, and I was personally evacuated from a hotel well after midnight two different years for someone doing something similar.

In summary:
  • I have no problem with the cops being there - it keeps the stupid contained and fewer/no one gets seriously hurt or killed. I got harassed a bit for smoke, but had it coming.
  • I am glad there is "the coat factory afterparty" - it keeps all that stuff off the roads and hotel parking lots, which is where it used to happen. Try as you might, that stuff is gonna happen, so police/contain it, and limit the stupid factor with cops, but not so much a riot happens.
  • I feel for all the Schied guys and the local cops, they'd probably be right there with everyone if not on duty, but they have to limit the stupid for that weekend so eveyone can enjoy.
  • I had a great time at it again and look forward to next year!

Last edited:
this was my 3rd year going, looked like by far the biggest crowd in the stands for the pull. cops were a bit over the top imo, but over all it was a great time.

Mr 66? Is that you? Good job on taking the win! Proves the fact you dont need a fast truck to win!

Thanks! I had a great time at the race, but wish the announcer would have come up with a better nickname for me! Between the win Sunday and runner-up Saturday (where I hit the brakes to close up the gap at the finish line and accidentally let the guy past me by 0.0009 seconds, which is less than an inch) I was fortunate to get past a lot of good racers.

Back to the original topic, I saw a lot of people doing stupid crap that should not have been tolerated (and many of them got pulled over for it), but many officers were being downright rude to people who were not out of line. Both Gary Ray's wife and Phil Taylor's wife had run-ins with rude cops, and those are two of the nicest ladies you could meet.

Last edited:
It was good talking with you Michael.

Overall it was a good event,the cops did keep much of the riff raff down but thought they were a little overboard as well.I was driving through the outer loop on the south side were they had the cones setup and a cop who was about 5'6" hits the side of my truck with his hand.He asked me were I was going,now this happened first thing in the morning and not like I was just driving around.I mean if he wanted me to stop all he had to do was put his hand up and waved.

I think next year I'll just drive the BMW and not have to worry about having to drive the truck like a grocery getter to avoid tickets... I seen plenty of imports drag racing and watched the cops drive past them to go after the guy blowing smoke. It was a little over the top to make a statement on smoke. You want to knock down the smoke and not kill the vibe of SDX, look for the guys being a nuisance about it. It's almost comical to see 5 trucks pulled over for it within a 1/2 mile stretch while clouds of smoke pour out of the fairgrounds a few hundred yards away (I guarantee more black smoke poured out of there over the 3 days than on the street). Maybe next year they should just sell recreational smoke permits... it's more about the money anyway or they'd just shut the whole event down period. It's no different than all the EPA garbage... let's find a way to make the green peeps happy and get kickbacks from the oil companies at the same time... introducing the DPF. It may take you 5 more gallons to get there but your exhaust will be cleaner for the environment.

Last edited:
I think next year I'll just drive the BMW and not have to worry about having to drive the truck like a grocery getter to avoid tickets... I seen plenty of imports drag racing and watched the cops drive past them to go after the guy blowing smoke. It was a little over the top to make a statement on smoke. You want to knock down the smoke and not kill the vibe of SDX, look for the guys being a nuisance about it. It's almost comical to see 5 trucks pulled over for it within a 1/2 mile stretch while clouds of smoke pour out of the fairgrounds a few hundred yards away (I guarantee more black smoke poured out of there over the 3 days than on the street). Maybe next year they should just sell recreational smoke permits... it's more about the money anyway or they'd just shut the whole event down period. It's no different than all the EPA garbage... let's find a way to make the green peeps happy and get kickbacks from the oil companies at the same time... introducing the DPF. It may take you 5 more gallons to get there but your exhaust will be cleaner for the environment.

I drove my accord on dubs lol it was interesting driving through the campground at night back to the pits. I got all kinds of stuff yelled at me. When you drive 100mi a day for work and have a family you can't afford to have a big diesel truck

I drove my accord on dubs lol it was interesting driving through the campground at night back to the pits. I got all kinds of stuff yelled at me. When you drive 100mi a day for work and have a family you can't afford to have a big diesel truck

Probably the issue wasn't the accord, it was the dubs. LOL

Probably the issue wasn't the accord, it was the dubs. LOL

I know lol but nothing wrong with wanting to have a nice looking car and it doesn't have one of those goofy exhaust, atleast im rocking a SCM diesel sticker in the back window lol

We drove the car, had zero issues in town, police even came up to us and made a comment about how good some of the trucks looked!

Back