So which dyno is best for diesels?

Blacksdieselhp

Comp Diesel Sponsor
Im in the market for a dyno, but I have no idea what i need. Never been on one but three times. Never had any interest. But its time to have one for tuning purposes. Tell me what I need please. And remember, Im poor.

We have a Dynocom DC1800X. It's worked very well. Loads the trucks down and is very affordable. Excellent quality parts and easy to use software. (866) 436-3966 talk to Allison. Tell her Dan from Dan's Diesel referred you.

Ashley, I just put money down on a DynoJet 224XLC while I was at PRI... after all of my shopping around and asking, thats what I came up with

Ours is a Dyno Dynamics dual eddy and have had good results with it.

Whichever brand you go with, make sure it is a load cell. Inertia dyno's are fun for dyno days where you make a 2 sec sweep and a silly big number, but are lousy for tuning.

I'm sure JSP will be along before too long, with his two cents, as I am sure he did some comprehensive research before he pulled the trigger on his Superflow.

In my dyno experience to this point I have used:
Dynojet (both new load cell and inertia)
Mustang (both single roller and dual)
Land and Sea (inertia)
Dynocom (both portable hub units and a large single roller load cell.)
Dynodynamics (Trailer mounted setup)
Superflow (load cell)

I have 20:1 time on the Mustang to anything else, so I am most comfortable on it, but both the dynojet load cell, and the Dyncom had straight forward interface's for the most part. All of which were very repeatable.

I have run a dynojet inertia at a 3000' asl and again at sea level, two weeks apart with the same truck and same tune. My uncorrected numbers were within 5hp of each other. Obviously this is a very small sample to make any real judgments on, but uncorrected to uncorrected dynojet to dynojet seems repeatable, but it could have just been a fluke too.

I have only made 3 consecutive pulls on a superflow at a dyno day, they were all very repeatable, but have no actual time operating it, and therefore no opinion good or bad

The land and sea I was on was old or rather neglected, the software was horrible, and repeatable was +or- ~20hp at 300hp... Unless there have been some major improvements it would not be a consideration for me.

Last edited:
I Just got a dynotech by dyno dynamics.. I shopped around for a while, for the needs right now I thought this was the best one for tuning and diagnostics. Call Matt at Dyno Dynamics he will tell the ins and outs of dynos, Also if Chris is near you he will bring one out and demonstrate it before you buy and decide, that there made it clear why I went with DynoDynamics! 1-866-get-dyno

If price is a issue then Superflow might be out of the picture, but I love mine. With the dual brakes mine will sink 2500HP so it will be a while before I out grow it. The sensor box loaded up with instrumentation is where it's really at.

If tuning was really your game and are in for the long hall there's none better.

ive always had good luck with superflow, seen a few 1000hp trucks come to a stop by loading them down to

SuperFlow FTW.

Do not buy a cheezy inertia dyno...they do not measure torque directly....it's an estimation based on a quick blip of acceleration. Their main reason for being is they're cheaper to build with no absorber. Don't let the repeatability claims suck you in....yes it gives the same number every time; but the same BS number every time is just a constant stream of the same BS.

Some of the inertia dynos have short-term brakes, but the operators freely admit that how they apply the brake affects the results...is that what anyone really wants?

Ashley, I just put money down on a DynoJet 224XLC while I was at PRI... after all of my shopping around and asking, thats what I came up with

Apparently you didn't read the last sentence in my first post. lol. Whatever I buy will be used, unfortunately.

Used is someone else's junk IMO. Dynocom does financing. If you market it right it won't take long to pay off.

Not that I would ever need to buy one but....
What does a dyno cost for a decent basic unit?

I like our Dynojet 224xlc. Give Justin Starkey at VMP Tunning a call. He sometimes has used dyno trailers.

Just to clear some misinformation:

In terms of repeatability and accuracy, you can't beat an inertia unit. They use simple mathematics to calculate a power figure. They don't have a load cell so don't suffer thermal drift or variation, they also don't need calibration ;)

Though we must remember no chassis dyno offers fully accurate figures, they all rely on that massively variable factor that comes in the shape of a rubber tyre.

Obviously you stated you will be tuning, so this requires load holding capability. For high torque such as diesel consider a large single roll as opposed to smaller as used by dynodynamics.
Superflow is cream of the crop.

May end up just financing a new one. Our machine shop has a superflow engine dyno. I would LOVE to get it setup to accept a diesel engine.

Back