So which dyno is best for diesels?

Ashley I financed mine for 4 years and 4'ish percent with zero down. The finance place dynojet directed me toward wanted 10% down and 9% interest....

Sent from my iPhone

Just to clear some misinformation:

In terms of repeatability and accuracy, you can't beat an inertia unit. They use simple mathematics to calculate a power figure. They don't have a load cell so don't suffer thermal drift or variation, they also don't need calibration ;)

Though we must remember no chassis dyno offers fully accurate figures, they all rely on that massively variable factor that comes in the shape of a rubber tyre.

Obviously you stated you will be tuning, so this requires load holding capability. For high torque such as diesel consider a large single roll as opposed to smaller as used by dynodynamics.
Superflow is cream of the crop.

Yeah but... you neglect to mention repeatability of a human is rare. I've driven on the large inertia dynojets. What a pain in the ass to operate vs any load cell. My poor rear brakes!

Any chassis dyno repeatability is open to interpretation given strapping methods and forces vary from operator to operator.

Having used, designed, and fabricated various dynos. ..for just power runs, inertia gets my vote everytime. There is no negating the need for load holding for tuning purposes, which I guess the OP needs

I vote dynocom fx5000. It's awd, and you can load with it. Not to mention affordable.

1-866-436-DYNO ask for Allison, or Paul and you can tell them that Jared Early at Early Performance reccomended you.

Any chassis dyno repeatability is open to interpretation given strapping methods and forces vary from operator to operator.

Having used, designed, and fabricated various dynos. ..for just power runs, inertia gets my vote everytime. There is no negating the need for load holding for tuning purposes, which I guess the OP needs

Repeatably from one run to the next on the same dyno same time.... :)

Ashley I financed mine for 4 years and 4'ish percent with zero down. The finance place dynojet directed me toward wanted 10% down and 9% interest....

Sent from my iPhone

Where did you find that financing? Ill order one tomorrow on those terms.

I have heard some guys say the 224 over heats pretty easy. Let me know if you find that to be true

Repeatably from one run to the next on the same dyno same time.... :)

Yeah but unfortunately then heat takes its effect...whether its tyre deformation, transmission fluid or just thermal drift on load cell output; all factors which prevent any chassis dyno being that scientific.

Of course, they offer the unparalleled "ease factor" of tuning an engine whilst its still in the vehicle :)

I have heard some guys say the 224 over heats pretty easy. Let me know if you find that to be true

We have never had an issue with our Dynojet 224. There has been times we had my truck on there testing different things for 5 or 6 hours at a time without any issues. We have found it to be an awesome tuning tool with great repeatablilty no matter what the HP level.

Just yesterday we ran 12 customer's trucks on it , each getting three back to back runs. Several did no changes between runs and all three runs were within 10 HP.

Where did you find that financing? Ill order one tomorrow on those terms.

u8atebyv.jpg

Broke ground Saturday, in their instructions for pit digging they have an optional vent tube to cool the brake. Fleece has this one in the ground and I've never heard them gripe about over heating...

The loan was through Joe Penn's personal bank with him as a guarantor, otherwise I was coughing up 10% down...

Sent from my iPhone

u8atebyv.jpg

Broke ground Saturday, in their instructions for pit digging they have an optional vent tube to cool the brake. Fleece has this one in the ground and I've never heard them gripe about over heating...

The loan was through Joe Penn's personal bank with him as a guarantor, otherwise I was coughing up 10% down...

Sent from my iPhone

I thought that may have been the case.

Call dyno dynamics 1-866-get-dyno talk to matt, he will send Chris out with a dyno and show how it works and everything about it and how the load control is! We can pull down a 1200hp pulling truck and snuff its charger!
the repeatability is awesome on dyno dynamics, do a google search and see what car and exotic car forums say, there nick named the heart breaker dyno!

I don't think inertia dynos are that bad for the price....if it can't make boost on an inertia dyno, you're probably going to have a hard time building boost anywhere else either, unless you're hooked to a sled.

The Land and Sea load cell that I used was very nice. Good instrumentation and the preloaded packages aren't too overwhelming. Once you got into the lower levels of creating your own screens, it got complex. I haven't used one of their chassis dynos.

One more thing that might seem minor, be careful that you buy an exhaust hose that will handle the heat. We put a temp sensor in the end of my exhaust and saw 1300+ degrees and I know it could have gone higher. I was just a tad bit nervous.

Just to clear some misinformation:

In terms of repeatability and accuracy, you can't beat an inertia unit. They use simple mathematics to calculate a power figure. They don't have a load cell so don't suffer thermal drift or variation, they also don't need calibration ;)

The above proves that you have absolutely no understanding of the difference between repeatability and accuracy.

And I love how you say it "calculates a power figure". Proves my point exactly.

Inertia dynos are cheap and repeatable. They also don't load the engine anything like a drag race or a sled pull.....so whatever "power figure" it spits out is just that. A figure.

The above proves that you have absolutely no understanding of the difference between repeatability and accuracy.

And I love how you say it "calculates a power figure". Proves my point exactly.

Inertia dynos are cheap and repeatable. They also don't load the engine anything like a drag race or a sled pull.....so whatever "power figure" it spits out is just that. A figure.

My thought on an inertia, they are only useful if the vehicle that's on it weighs the same or less then the rollers for turbo charged motors. N/A and super chargers, I don't think it matters as much.

My thought on an inertia, they are only useful if the vehicle that's on it weighs the same or less then the rollers for turbo charged motors. N/A and super chargers, I don't think it matters as much.

I can see inertia dynos being more useful if the drum is sufficiently heavy so that the acceleration rate of the vehicle is in the same ballpark as what you'd see on a racetrack.

....which is something the load cell unit can be programmed to do exactly.

I can see inertia dynos being more useful if the drum is sufficiently heavy so that the acceleration rate of the vehicle is in the same ballpark as what you'd see on a racetrack.

....which is something the load cell unit can be programmed to do exactly.

True.

But.....

i've produced different "numbers" but the same curve on a dyno dynamics and an old used beat up 248h, same weekend, same tune.

But.....

i didn't drive on the dyno dynamics (no need). i did drive on the dynojet, it did take me awhile to figure out how to load the motor.....basically i ignored my rear brakes call for help! :)

Back