So which dyno is best for diesels?

I'm not following.....you got curves from a DD dyno that you didn't drive on ("no need")?

???

I'm not following.....you got curves from a DD dyno that you didn't drive on ("no need")?

???

I wasn't operating truck. The load dyno's take operator error almost out of the equation.

Inherta ones, i've seen stock trucks fail due to crappy operators thinking a trucks is just like a corvette.

???

I wasn't operating truck. The load dyno's take operator error almost out of the equation.

Inherta ones, i've seen stock trucks fail due to crappy operators thinking a trucks is just like a corvette.

The above proves that you have absolutely no understanding of the difference between repeatability and accuracy.

And I love how you say it "calculates a power figure". Proves my point exactly.

Inertia dynos are cheap and repeatable. They also don't load the engine anything like a drag race or a sled pull.....so whatever "power figure" it spits out is just that. A figure.

So an energy based figure derived from time taken to accelerate a known mass with known geometry, isn't a calculation?

And road load simulations are a different discussion to obtaining a power figure. We were talking about the latter, making the former irrelevant.

So an energy based figure derived from time taken to accelerate a known mass with known geometry, isn't a calculation?

And road load simulations are a different discussion to obtaining a power figure. We were talking about the latter, making the former irrelevant.

It's totally a calculation, and that's all it is. Show me a high end analytical technique anywhere in the scientific world that has no standard to test against....

Load cell dynos actually measure torque directly, can be calibrated using simple weights.

Ever seen a inertia engine dyno? Hmmm....

We have a Dynocom DC1800X. It's worked very well. Loads the trucks down and is very affordable. Excellent quality parts and easy to use software. (866) 436-3966 talk to Allison. Tell her Dan from Dan's Diesel referred you.

Our shop is going to Texas in February to check out the new 15000 series from Dynocom.

All of my research indicates the Dynocom dynos to be one of the best bangs for the buck.

Dan. What brake option/options does yours have? Is it enough brake to load anything you can throw at it?

It's totally a calculation, and that's all it is. Show me a high end analytical technique anywhere in the scientific world that has no standard to test against....

Load cell dynos actually measure torque directly, can be calibrated using simple weights.

Ever seen a inertia engine dyno? Hmmm....

The very fact the load cell needs to be calibrated gives room to error. Plus every load cell is susceptible to thermal variation - yes theyre compensated but over time this linearity drifts - again adding possibility to any error.

Besides this isn't the same as running a standard. Running a standard would be vehicle of known bhp being applied to the rollers and a measurement taken
. This same vehicle would be used against all relevant dynos trying to retain any standards marking. This is a true reference. The same way you would reference test an emissions machine by sampling a known concentration of a specific gas and seeing how the measured value deviates from the known value.

You are confusing calibrating a sensor with reference checking a system for the purpose of maintaining a standard.

In the scientific world its about removing errors. Or at least reducing. A chassis dyno of any shape definitely doesnt fall inside that bracket. Not for torque measurement in any case.

Fingers crossed you get one, Ashley. I'd be up there on that thing every chance I got, and I know a lot of guys that feel the same way. Dynos are scarce in this area and most of those don't want to run a diesel.

It'd be awesome to see another annual (or semi-annual) dyno day in the area, too.

FWIW I went from a dynojet 248 making 835 to a dyno dynamics a week later and made 586.... Keep in mind the guy had no clue how to dyno my truck and didn't listen to a word I said, but come on. Arrons CC from rudys put down 700 hp on two stages and a week or so before this event made 1000+ on the same exact setup. Something was wayyyy off

I've never heard anything bad about a superflow. Predator performance that used to be in my town had one, but they went out of business. The closest dyno to me now is the superflow up at little power shop. The only dyno my truck has been on was mass diesels 248h. I kind of hope it reads low from actual. My truck only did 635.54hp and 1097.41ft-lbs with the setup in my Sig.

Last edited:
Back