Someone had to do it, cummins tubular manifold.

Same here, Tyler - I used to think they were silly until I saw results from using them... and the folks running them love 'em!

Maybe a remote 'charger is like twins; even a mediocre set works so much better that it's hard not to like the improvement.
I've thought that exact same thing before about the remote chargers.

But it would scare me having that thing so susceptible to getting hit by cold water in the winter.

There'd have to be an unusual sequence of events to create that potentially carnagacious situation... if it's raining or snowing, you're not likely not watching the EGT gauge. Besides, cast steel can withstand quite a bit more thermal shock than you'd think.

Glad y'all mentioned it though - seems like a couple of water shields under the cab have just become de rigueur for the '98! :Cheer:

I'm with you on this one but I've talked to people running them in person and they flat out love them. They light really fast and run great. Personally, I wouldn't want my 1600*+ turbo exposed to ice cold water that easily.

I had no idea a turbo waaayyyy back there would run @ 1,600*.

I am resurecting this old thread to see if anyone followed up on the facts with these manifolds. I am building one right now, and just wanted to see what others have found. I am between building an equal length manifold or just a free'er flowing manifold with larger runners. I guess I could make both and see for myself...

Equal length makes no difference on a turbo motor, gasser guys proved that one years ago. Match the tube size for the power you want to make.......anything is better than the log type junk we currently run.

Jim

a tuned equal length turbo manifold will spool a turbo better as you have even pulsation cadence on the turbine wheel.

the Cummins already has the benefit of it's I6 firing order and a divided manifold and turbine housing, so the equal length won't show quite the gains as it would vs. a log style manifold, but it will help.

BUT, you'll need to wrap the header as the header will radiate a lot more heat that the cast manifold will hold... heat = pressure on the turbine wheel

Well... I plan on running an A5k, so I need all the spoolup help I can get. I just dont know if its worth it?

Thanks guys.:Cheer:

Equal length makes no difference on a turbo motor, gasser guys proved that one years ago. Match the tube size for the power you want to make.......anything is better than the log type junk we currently run.

Jim

x2..

also scavaging goes out the window with turbo aplications.... for one LSA and LCA are too far apart to really get any... 71dp to 40bp...
that almost 2:1 ratio..... something is seriously restictive to begin with....

from what i have read and learned haveing drive pressure:boot ratio as close to 1:1 is ideal... common is 1.3-1.5:1, 2+:1 is killing power.

thats is what i have found out.

I havent got to drive X on the road yet , but even with the big Industrial Injection Silver71 its is real peppy , even more so then the SB66,

I think a lot of this is the pulses going all the way to the turbine volute.
It’s real snappy and that is without a tune in it.

Any engine can benefit for resonance tuning, that is a fact, the first and second order pound in to the turbine wheel instead of exiting the header and providing scavenge. Remember even a normally aspirated engine fills the cylinder with pressure, as in 14.7 psi

As for the intake runners, it is the exact same as a gas engine , this is a problem in the diesel world, in that everyone makes an attempt to segregate the diesel intake and exhaust design as not worth paying attention to.

Lets bring this up because it is fun to talk about.
There are more and more manifolds available for the cummins these days. It is no longer stock, ats, or make your own. There are more tubular manifolds showing up in trucks. Still there are more guys making manifolds in their garages. Speedshift just made a nice 3rd gen manifold that some say is against conventional thought (4-2 vs 3-3). Industrial has a tubular log style manifold. The long tube header in this thread?

The only thing we seem to agree on is that we have to run a manifold of some type.

I am thinking of trying some things too just to keep me busy in the winter months ahead. I hope to make a couple different designs and if I get time dyno them on my truck vs a ported ats manifold.

Looks like a CR, but then again I am proabbly wrong and its some type of Ricer motor, lol

Just finished fabbing this up for a buddy, all equal length within 1/8". T4 split turbine, EMP coupling for each scroll as well as EGT for each scroll. Hope to fab up downpipe, turbo inlet and new intercooler pipe this weekend. All for a '07 24v.

cummins5.jpg

cummins4.jpg

cummins3.jpg

cummins2.jpg

cummins1.jpg

TTT

Nice work Passanger

The headers are quite that much , I have them in stock for 12 valve 24 valve and CR for $975

here is a CR
100_0464.jpg

here is the 12 valve ,
Header5_9.jpg

here is one with the ED wastegate T3 to T4 adapter

100_0519.jpg

here is the adapter

006_105182006_std.jpg

here is it on X
100_0523.jpg

Here is Greg and I working on his now famous side draft CR , it’s important to note that tuned runners have to be continuous from valve to plenum, with is impractical in a CR due to Siamese ports from adjacent cylinders . Greg dose do 12 valve individual runner manifolds in stainless for some of the big pullers, but those manifolds are not something Greg will show pictures of , he is also do a tripal charger 4BT manifold also

100_0276.jpg

Here is a Duramax tuned intake runner for my new dragster
dmax_intake08003copy.jpg

here is the header

dmax_headers081copy.jpg

Last

The main ones to look at.

A version that I would like to build is a non-equal length(because it doesn't matter) a T-4 foot so the motor can breath with either a wastegate in the header like normal turbo motors run or one from E.D as it is the slickest setup out there. Tube sized according to H.P (the way gasser guys do it) and built out of stainless so it doesn't flake off the inside and beat the turbo up.

Spending that much time and money for a T-3 flange manifold seems like a waste of time to me. I'll be down at hotroddiesels this weekend, maybe Mike will have one there.

Last is why build a header like that then run three cylinders into one tube going to the flange, all the same size....is it just me!

Jim

Back