The Compound Game, Primary Finally Ordered!

NickTF

Single turbo turd.
Well out of the 8 or so turbo setups I have tried on this truck I will finally be trying my hand at fabbing a set of compounds to run with the truck. I have been running a factory option for a DT466 s300 for sometime as a single. It is a 62mm FMW turbo with the 6 pad thrust system in an internally gated .84 t4 housing with the 68mm j-style turbine wheel (newer turbine from what I gather). It is hung off my straight flange steed t4 manifold.

I ordered a primary from CRT Turbo. It is referred to as their HPX 75 and includes the new 11 blade high pressure compressor (similar to GTX compressor), standard compressor cover, 1.1 t6 housing, and 87/80mm turbine. Should make for a quick spooling setup. Looking for 700hp at the tire and thinking/hoping this set should help me to my goal.

I'm sure I will have fun moving the factory heat exchanger which looks to be the worse part of the whole deal. As i've posted in the fabrication section I plan to make the hot pipe from 3" sch40 with a t6 transition flange which should mate up pretty good. I planned to run a divided gasket although the t6 flange will be open to shield the undivided portion of the turbine housing from direct impact from the exhaust gasses. Hoping it saves the divider although it is unlikely this setup will get super hot in my estimation (who knows however).

In any event been kind of silent for a while on the board due to some family issues slowing the truck progress. We'll see how it all goes together!

Run an undivided gasket on the primary and knife edge the housing.

thats what i did..
and if you have a divided gasket which will let go, it goes though your fancy new turbo

Excited to see results. Considering the s475hpx under my billet 63/68. Good luck with your build!

Id just have a site sponsor build the same turbo

There are two companies I know of that build turbos using this wheel, one I've had experience with and one I've heard good things about so I decided to try the ladder, CRT. Thanks for the suggestion however.

There are two companies I know of that build turbos using this wheel, one I've had experience with and one I've heard good things about so I decided to try the ladder, CRT. Thanks for the suggestion however.

No worries there, I offer that wheel as well.

Nick, glad to see you putting together a set. Definitely support compd sponsors whenever possible. :rockwoot:

Im excited to see how it runs, Nick always has a good running truck. Those two turbos should really make the truck run good.

I've never seen knife edging on the housing, would this make a difference if you were running a S475 as a single? Thanks, and sorry for the derail Nick.

You gonna be using the steed manifold with the twins??

I've never seen knife edging on the housing, would this make a difference if you were running a S475 as a single? Thanks, and sorry for the derail Nick.

thread derail -

As a single, you should maintain the divided feed from manifold to turbo, even with divided gasket(s). Keeping the system divided increases the energy transfer to the turbine = better spool/efficiency.

Back