Truck runs like crap!!

NEsmoker

Well i started the truck for the first time tonight, and its bad. It billows white smoke, has erratic popping and if it idles long enough it starts rev up itself. Its blowing black sludge of an exhuast leak by the turbo, which seems like fuel and soot mixed, doesnt feel like oil at all. I checked the time twice, and it seems completely right to me. So im lost right now. Also my tack wasnt working, its a 99 so it should be reading off the sensor back below the ecm right? This build has been doing nothing but beatin me up the whole time, and im running out of steam:bang. Any insight will be appreciated.
Thanks Rob

I was thinking that but its gotta be a couple cause its bad. At idle its smokin white/grey as much as a mod truck runnin full bore down the track.

Brand new build? What compression? What timing? Will it rev up and smooth out?

Had the head clean up, fire ringed, valve job. I set the timing at 28-29, still at stock compression give or take a hair. It revs but gets real ruff, and pops pretty good.

I have a belt driven pump on it, idles at 13-14 and ramps up over 25 by 1000 rpm. My tach wasnt working last night(dont know if any of my gauges were working) but i think the idle was a little high so it should of had 20 or so. I had a bad leak at first but fixxed the leak, and it didnt change anything. Im gonna try and put it at stock timming with the pump pin tomorro and see what happens then.

Does this sound right. Engine at tdc, put gauge in dv and rotated engine clock wise till needle stopped moving, set gauge between 7-9. Rotated engin counter clockwise till tdc, the guage read 5.3 or so what ever the number was for the timing it was stock (it was spot on for factory time in the pump). Now i set the big dial at 0, bar the engine over till the needle went around the big gauge twice adding 4mm to my 5.3, thus giving me 9.3 which should be 29 deg time. Then i popped my gear off, went back cc to tdc, put my gear back on. Does that sound right. I dont even know i have myself so confused now trying to figure out where my problem is. This is my first ppump so i am probly goin wrong some where. The more i think about it i must be wrong somewhere with the mm of lift.

Sounds like timing, did you re check your timing? Some pumps bounce back really bad when you pop the gear off.

I set my timing 4 times before I stopped reading the dial like an Idiot. Not saying you are or that's the case but I hadn't used a dial guage in a long time and I was setting mine WAY off.

I set my timing 4 times before I stopped reading the dial like an Idiot. Not saying you are or that's the case but I hadn't used a dial guage in a long time and I was setting mine WAY off.

So.... You're saying we shouldn't or should use a dial indicator for pump timing?? Sorry, confused.

he saying he forgot how to read his while he was setting it so he kept setting it wrong until he realized his mistake.

definatly sounds like a timing issue. mine had the same problem and i guess the timing sliped on me. reset it and runs fine.

ah the simple things in life we over look. at least it didn't cost you any money

Why not just pin the pump and rotate the engine backwards "x" amount of degrees to get the desired timing?

Back