Truck runs like crap!!

I may be too. As for running gear, i got a benched 160 and schied 6x18s.

Does this sound right. Engine at tdc, put gauge in dv and rotated engine clock wise till needle stopped moving, set gauge between 7-9. Rotated engin counter clockwise till tdc, the guage read 5.3 or so what ever the number was for the timing it was stock (it was spot on for factory time in the pump). Now i set the big dial at 0, bar the engine over till the needle went around the big gauge twice adding 4mm to my 5.3, thus giving me 9.3 which should be 29 deg time. Then i popped my gear off, went back cc to tdc, put my gear back on. Does that sound right. I dont even know i have myself so confused now trying to figure out where my problem is. This is my first ppump so i am probly goin wrong some where. The more i think about it i must be wrong somewhere with the mm of lift.

I don't know if it was a typo, or if you meant to put it, but when you install the dial, bar the engine COUNTERCLOCKWISE. If you are near TDC on the compression stroke, as you rotate CCW (backwards to normal engine rotation), your dial should be going down. When it stops moving, set it to 0 on the outer dial, and take note of the inner dial (increments of 0.100" or 1mm). That is the base circle of the cam. Now rotate the engine clockwise until you get your desired lift reading. Pop the gear, set the engine to TDC again, and reset the gear.

The way I'm reading the way you did it is engine is at TDC (don't know where pump is, could be near stock timing), rotated clockwise (so the plunger will be lifting) until it stopped moving (that means the plunger is now at its highest point). You then set the dial between 7-9 (which was it?) and then went backwards until you had 5.3mm.

If thats the case, you have retarded your timing from your original starting point.

Ok so i think i figured it out some what, I believe i had the timing retarded and it was at 2* . But now my new problem is when i try to reset it im gettin the pump kick back when popping the gear back off. I have all the injection lines off inlet and the rturn also, no dice, tried 3 times and failed. So how do i stop the kick back befor i hurt the pump trying to set the time?

What kind of tool is it? Ill call him up this after, hes an hour from me.
If i have all the lines off the pump and spin it over with the starter for 10- 15 second will that empty all the plungers and barrels thus prohibiting the hydraulic pressure im seeing the kick back from?

My brand new pump just sitting on the work bench has some kick back to it when rotating it. You may have to put the nut back on the shaft and rotate the pump by hand until you get it where you want it.

It is a 13mm with a quick rate cam so that may have something to do with it.

When you remove the pump gear the pump turns and you loose your position.

always loosen the nut then pin the pump before you pull the gear you can loose or gain timing if you don't.

I always pop the gear off the shaft close to where I want it. It usually jumps a little. I reset the gear only tight enough to turn the pump. I can usually turn the jack bolt on the puller by hand to pop the gear off. It will still occasionally do it, but that seems to work the best for me.

Someone on here took a cutting disc for a grinder and cut a slot in the end of the shaft. You can get those drag link sockets (flat heads) for a ratchet to then turn it by hand. Then it doesn't matter if it jumps or not.

Thats what i did when i had my pump in the shop. It works really slick to have that groove in the end. I can time my truck in about 30 minutes and its super easy. Back the pump down till the plunger bottoms, bring it up to desired number and set it.

If i dont get it tonight ill slice a groove in it and do it that way.

What kind of tool? Id like to see it

I have a few of these, they work great. Instead of rotating the motor to rotate pump to desired lift you use this while truck is at TDC. You can hold the pump at desired lift and slip gear back on. Totally eliminated the shaft jumping when you remove gear after setting lift.

Timingtool.jpg

If i have all the lines off the pump and spin it over with the starter for 10- 15 second will that empty all the plungers and barrels thus prohibiting the hydraulic pressure im seeing the kick back from?

The pump cam lobe is on a bad spot is all.

War pig thats a slick piece there, you make it?

Well i got the timing set tonight, its at 30-31 and its right this time. Problem is now its still blowing raw fuel out the stack. Its a bit ruff on the idle but it revs up and sounds great from just above idle and up, but its spewwing fuel. It still smokes white and grey pretty heavy but it has to with the fuel problem. Its that bad that reving it 6-8 times up to 2k has coated the entire truck, its pouring out of exhuast joints and leaving puddles. Its so much its even greenish yellow like out of the pump.
So can it be a problem with the pump still or most likely an injector or 2-3 are not closing? When it revs its smooth and sounds great, you just cant look up cause it burns the eyes. Should i try stock timing or just pull the injectors? I am positive its timed right and at 30-31 and that souldnt be the raw fuel problem right?

I have a line scribed on the pump gear and a timing pointer on the dampner. I put the engine at TDC knock the gear loose turn the pump to desired timing and tighten. After doing it a few times this way is very quick.
Picture of pump shaft
pump shaft.jpg
Picture of required tool
tool.jpg

I have a few of these, they work great. Instead of rotating the motor to rotate pump to desired lift you use this while truck is at TDC. You can hold the pump at desired lift and slip gear back on. Totally eliminated the shaft jumping when you remove gear after setting lift.

Timingtool.jpg

Thanx! I feel stupid now. I cant belive I never thought of that

Timingtool.jpg

Old pump nut with an allen to rotate the pump? Very slick, thinkin I need to make one now.

Back