Truckers, lets see your rigs!

I agree, but both of you said that mileage didn't matter, and that's just not the case, it may be less of a factor in the job your doing but it does matter.

I think once you get your truck working everyday T that you will start looking at it that way.

:pop: I'm loving this debate. Both sides are making valid points, interesting to follow this segment of the thread.

Question for anyone who has driven one. I haven't messed with or driven any DPF/DEF equipped trucks. I know they're a mechanical nightmare, I'm just curious how they compare in MPG. How bad did it hurt truck engines? Again, just from an MPG standpoint, I think we all know how much havoc these things have wreaked on motors and how much better they run without that mess.

The girlfriends dad has a 2011 KW t660 with an ISX, he hauls steel but never over 85k gross, he is in the high 5 to low 6 range, now I believe if he had a delete done and went back to a simple HX60 that he would be well into the 7s and much less of a headache.

I mean really there is no logical reason some of these new trucks should be getting less mpg than my 79 K100 with a big cam.

:pop: I'm loving this debate. Both sides are making valid points, interesting to follow this segment of the thread.

Question for anyone who has driven one. I haven't messed with or driven any DPF/DEF equipped trucks. I know they're a mechanical nightmare, I'm just curious how they compare in MPG. How bad did it hurt truck engines? Again, just from an MPG standpoint, I think we all know how much havoc these things have wreaked on motors and how much better they run without that mess.
The mileage is horrible

I agree, but both of you said that mileage didn't matter, and that's just not the case, it may be less of a factor in the job your doing but it does matter.

I think once you get your truck working everyday T that you will start looking at it that way.
I already see it that way, but its a 1982 peterbilt with a mechanical engine, obviously I can't expect to get an eco-champ award with it.

You guys should try hauling some combines and field cultivators to see some good mileage....if we get 4+ were happy.

Hoods, aero, light or heavy, doesn't matter.

I just think it's comical that a truck can have a 365hp Series 60 and be a W900L or a 379x and it's the best thing on the road....but put a 600hp 3406E in a 386 Pete and it's automatically a pile of junk.
Chris

You guys should try hauling some combines and field cultivators to see some good mileage....if we get 4+ were happy.

I just think it's comical that a truck can have a 365hp Series 60 and be a W900L or a 379x and it's the best thing on the road....but put a 600hp 3406E in a 386 Pete and it's automatically a pile of junk.
Chris
First part of that statement hits the nail right on the head.

Second part I'll just say that I simply don't like 386's, I don't care what its got under the hood. Haha

Western trailer just finished these up, fully sheeted in stainless steel.
tuhe7y9e.jpg

Now back to your regularly scheduled drama. Haha

Chris

It really does depend on your work. My mech b in a 359 exhd has beat a 455e in an fld, a series 60 470 in an fld and a 3406b in a t 600 in mileage doing what I do. The only thing that has out done me is a 3406e in a 379. That's with me driving every one of those too.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Chris

I disagree.. I look at more than the hood. You take a hood truck and slap chit drivetrain in it... It's equally worthless.

So I have a question:

How do Glider kits skirt the emissions laws? I have heard that you don't have to have DPF/EGR on them?

You two chrome-lickers know where I stand. LoL Smokincat is 100% right. T will learn what it's like pretty quick or join the ranks of those who tried and failed and so will Rick if he ever hits puberty and manages to buy a truck. Haha

You two chrome-lickers know where I stand. LoL Smokincat is 100% right. T will learn what it's like pretty quick or join the ranks of those who tried and failed and so will Rick if he ever hits puberty and manages to buy a truck. Haha

I'm not saying fuel mileage doesn't matter... You guys can get that outta your head.

What I'm saying is, you don't have to buy a Volvo to get good fuel mileage.
I know a lot of people that still survive and have mechanical trucks or older electronic trucks that have the all famous "hood" and they aren't going broke.

In my opinion 85%+ comes down to how the truck is spec'd and driving habits. You can take a slope nose truck and stick a chitty driver in it and ruin your all mighty high mpg jazz.

I drive the trucks I've been in, like id drive it if I own it. I record miles per fill up, keep track of fuel mileage and what not all for my own records. I don't just drive them and not care.
I got tip top mileage in the last truck I drove for what I was doing. I was getting the exact mileage guys that have been trucking their whole lives. I was also put pulling the "fuel mileage" trucks at the same time. No I didn't get quite the mileage they did but for how my truck was spec'd and what I was doing... It simply wasn't gonna be any better.

Last edited:
I guess I don't really understand what it is that I'm going to "find out".....I've been in this business as a driver and/or mechanic for 6+ years, I know what my bottom line is, I know how to budget, and for what I'm going to be doing my truck is set up about as good as its going to get for fuel consumption.

low HP engines operating at 100% are going to consume more fuel than a higher hp engine at 50%......guaranteed, every time, no matter what truck its in......

I also stand by this statement, don't fukkin haul cheap freight all the time and getting 80mpg will not be a huge concern.

I'm not saying fuel mileage doesn't matter... You guys can get that outta your head.

What I'm saying is, you don't have to buy a Volvo to get good fuel mileage.
I know a lot of people that still survive and have mechanical trucks or older electronic trucks that have the all famous "hood" and they aren't going broke.

In my opinion 85%+ comes down to how the truck is spec'd and driving habits. You can take a slope nose truck and stick a chitty driver in it and ruin your all mighty high mpg jazz.

I drive the trucks I've been in, like id drive it if I own it. I record miles per fill up, keep track of fuel mileage and what not all for my own records. I don't just drive them and not care.
I got tip top mileage in the last truck I drove for what I was doing. I was getting the exact mileage guys that have been trucking their whole lives. I was also put pulling the "fuel mileage" trucks at the same time. No I didn't get quite the mileage they did but for how my truck was spec'd and what I was doing... It simply wasn't gonna be any better.
This x2

I'm not sure how driving a truck that you don't own gives you full insight to the bottom line, there are things that you have never paid for that is all going to become all to fimiliar.

Some of the best fuel mileage trucks we have owned have all been mechanical.

I really feel like I'll gain nothing by continuing in this discussion.

In other news,
I just got an email from the FMCSA, my authority is now active and I can put my truck to work, Tomorrow morning she takes her maiden voyage to the asphalt plant, big road jobs going on in my area and I'm very glad I can get in on it.

I'm not sure how driving a truck that you don't own gives you full insight to the bottom line, there are things that you have never paid for that is all going to become all to fimiliar.

Some of the best fuel mileage trucks we have owned have all been mechanical.

I'm not sure how acting like I know nothing at all because I've never owned a truck gets anyone anywhere either...
I never once acted or said that I have it all figured it out.

Back