Truckers, lets see your rigs!

Pressure test the cac
I forgot about that, they did pressure test the original, found it to be faulty, and replaced it. With my W900 the turbo is hitting 10psi at 1100rpm and 30+ by 13-1400, this truck flat out will NOT pull down that low, if you're not above 1500, you're not going anywhere.

The charge air system has been checked from turbo to intake, not sure if they've ever checked for air in the fuel. I'll give the fuel system from the tanks to the pump a once over tonight

I forgot about that, they did pressure test the original, found it to be faulty, and replaced it. With my W900 the turbo is hitting 10psi at 1100rpm and 30+ by 13-1400, this truck flat out will NOT pull down that low, if you're not above 1500, you're not going anywhere.

We're not in Idaho, but we have basically the same setup...Our driver hasn't complained once about power, so must be OK.

We're hauling combines near or over 80K gross through the Appalachians without trouble.

Something pretty major has to be wrong.
Chris

This glider pulls hopper trains out here in the west, gross weight between 105-110,000lbs, I expect the truck to struggle a LITTLE simply because of the weight, but I've driven enough cat powered trucks to know something is wrong

How about a little dirty Schade and Lang action?
62a32b107934440a5cd6d453fb977c23.jpg

Sent from my flashscan v2

Best picture in this thread

some nice long trucks in the mill today....

none of you hopper guys ever get to fla. there was a guy in today from badlands trucking in south Dakota driving a sweet pete

This glider pulls hopper trains out here in the west, gross weight between 105-110,000lbs, I expect the truck to struggle a LITTLE simply because of the weight, but I've driven enough cat powered trucks to know something is wrong
Pull the cover off the back of the head and verify the cam #.
Any idea where the engine was built?

They'll get it...

Also, for anyone who follows my bad reputation... 2 weeks and I'll be in a different truck.

Ok cat experts, this glider I'm driving has got issues and I have it narrowed down to two things, so lets see if anyone can pinpoint it. Truck is a 2015 389 with a 475/550 6NZ in it, it is TERRIBLE in the power department, like pray for a tailwind or you'll never hit the speed limit kind of bad, turbo is lazy to spool and only makes 20psi if you're working the piss out of it. So I think it's either an ECM programming issue combined with a fuel pressure issue, or its a fuel pressure issue completely, we've changed filters so that's eliminated, and the turbo is brand new. Any ideas?

Been this way from day 1? Asking because there are some "less than knowledgeable" guys flashing trucks to put it nicely. They think because they find a file that says "650hp" it will be 650hp in their truck, with zero knowledge of what works and what doesn't.

Been this way from day 1? Asking because there are some "less than knowledgeable" guys flashing trucks to put it nicely. They think because they find a file that says "650hp" it will be 650hp in their truck, with zero knowledge of what works and what doesn't.
It had a 550/1850 uprate at the local cat house, so its crappy emissions programming

It had a 550/1850 uprate at the local cat house, so its crappy emissions programming

Still should do better than 20psi. Any smoke?

Check fuel pressure, could be weak pressure regulating valve or a weak pump. If the pump is bad buy the one for the SDP C15. It's about $30 cheaper and moves more fuel.

Last edited:
Very very little, a tiny puff and then clears right up

Ok at 20psi the ECM should be at full fuel so I would rule out anything like the boost sensor. Also on a glider the dash gauge reads off sensor so that also rules out the sensor not seeing pressure.

Back