Truckers, lets see your rigs!

S478 with a 1.32 housing would probably do the trick, I cant quite remember what that charger is good to, but it kept my 650hp cat cool

The last one i did like this i ran with a 1.45 housing. But it had 58s in it. Does a real good job. Wheres Smokincat when you need him???

S480 Borg 1.45 housing. We have a Borg based 91mm exducer turbine 80mm in a 1.45 housing being tested on a pretty hot truck in michigan. Can't wait for those turbines to be released for purchase.

S480 Borg 1.45 housing. We have a Borg based 91mm exducer turbine 80mm in a 1.45 housing being tested on a pretty hot truck in michigan. Can't wait for those turbines to be released for purchase.

Is that the 100mm turbine?

Is that the 100mm turbine?

You don’t happen to have Leon number? My one truck with a ddec 2 is developing a head gasket seepage and it’s at 1.7 km now so looks like it’s time for a build. I’ve got a ddec 3 on a pallet in considering doing the swap. Looking for some info and build info..... maybe a tune...

who needs compounds? didn't you know that single turbos are far superior?? especially ones that are too small for the application!

Awww chit YO! I’ve been busy chasing those BSFC’s with my 2.64 gears and my Kevin Rutherford approved direct 10spd.I dumped those wasteful compounds for an S300 because there ain’t ‘no need to be pushing that excess air and messing with the flow of my water/meth! I’ve found the secret white papers on how to make tons of horsepowers and cut my fuel stops to once a month. Kind of sucks though because the only people I get to preach BSFC’s to now are the lucky guys that get to spend time with me in a shippers office or you fine internet folks!!

My boots are all kind of dirty and messed up but I’m afraid to get a new pair or it will cut back on my BSFC’s. I’ve seen the light and don’t anything in live without first asking myself WWTDTMBSFC! (What would this do to my BSFC). Gonna have bracelets made to remind all of you to think before you buy that truck without wheel covers and skirts or a wasteful 18spd.

Anyone know where I can get a harness made to adapt a D13 Volvo into a KW? Word on the street is the European engines are the bomb. I mean I’ve heard how unbelievably awesome the MAN engine is in those International trucks. From what I’ve see they are so sweet the guys don’t even want to put miles on them. They just drag them around behind a wrecker so everyone can see them.

I really wanted one of those SWEET cabover Scanias but I can’t buy one here because the US market is so small for class 8 trucks they won’t bring them over. Guess I’ll have to live with this wasteful long wheelbase pos.

Ok now that the douche rockets have been offended, a little real world facts. At my intervention I was told I drive fast, haul heavy and blow chit up and that I can’t argue with any of that.

As some may know my turd dyno’d 1138hp at Antrim set up just like it has been since it was built. Same chargers, injectors and ecm. Me and a buddy didn’t go there to play dyno queens with trucks we don’t work. I could have easily thrown a couple giant turbos on and a huge tune and said look at me and claim to work it like that but that’s not what I was after. I later found out why I had to tack weld my muffler on the pipe because it kept getting blown off like guys Mr.BSFC meets in the back row at the pilot. My 2400cfm muffler is a bit small for a 5300cfm engine. After removing the muffler I bet I’ve easily gained 100+ hp way cooler egt’s and instant response. The bad part is it’s so f’ing loud I feel the urge to buy a 24” shifter extension so I’m still muffler shopping to kill the good buddy urge.

Anyway this is at least 1200hp to the ground. Worked everyday and occasionally driven like an azz-hole. This is the results of a flat-on-the-wood heavy traffic merge with an adult sized load (and no water meth DF)
7b5e39515049169d611fe651eb454b60.jpg

The probes are in each exhaust port and one on each side of the duralite charge air cooler. The intake air temps are on the right
026b10c52505b6a30c20aaba8750ff86.jpg

Now if anyone want to know what I consider an adult sized load.
1e333e437183fe00797598b9e7bf9fb5.jpg
0d966715d072ceb03e7b554ff523907d.jpg

Now some on here like to make claims like “my truck gets 20mpg has 3mil original miles with the worlds only single GT whatever turbo that instantly spools at 1000rpm and will keep 1000hp cool with zero smoke” and never ever backs it up with anything other than keyboard vomit can choke on a sack of.....

I haven’t had any time or desire to come on here lately. As I can see It’s turned into the Kevin Rutherford gospel hour thanks to a couple knot heads. I can almost bet one of them types posts with his giant trucker headset still on.

I don’t claim chit that I haven’t tried. Not everything worked as planned but with the help of some friends, one of which was SmokinCat I’ve learned the hard way what works and what doesn’t. Cyclone Machine ductile iron liners with sealing rings DO NOT work in a street truck. They can hold 140psi boost for 400ft but they don’t like road driving. That lesson cost me $5000 In wasted parts. DO NOT use pistons that were previously used in a 3000+hp 3000+ RPM pulling engine even if they did only make 3 runs on an engine dyno. And do not use Monotherms with wrist pin bushings. There is a reason Mahle have done away with this style That lesson cost another $4000 and A TON of cleaning lol.
a1d9cf77347a57405b5df504aa31bba4.jpg

Broken oil dam
996cf7f55b1c1d8f9d0595215c18b826.jpg
9075ff75f4f9f8c98116f8292378d021.jpg

Other people claim “Acert twins suck, they have huge drive pressure issues” and I proved that to be BS by actually putting in a drive pressure gauge. Leiffi’s brother Mr.Haney claimed that crap and was proven wrong. Just sold a set of them to a guy for his 5EK in a 1995 Fl Classic.
dbc384eaa1dc003147c9bd0c223d23b4.jpg

Had a S478 with a 1.58 housing before because the 1.32 would overdrive the turbo. This was his quote today after working it “Definitely a world of difference with these twins”

All I’m saying is if your going to make claim, you better be able to back that chit up.

Oh and since this is a pic thread....
Might have a 18L 3406b with giant pump coming to a highway near you.....oh and of course another wasteful set of compound turbos. I can neither confirm or deny this...
829c682c03de0a14c5e2b50f3b235f90.jpg
54f195d3b55cedd9c42858394b7c59f5.jpg
just a peek fresh out of the oven with some Matterhorn Cat white powdercoat. Can’t wait to find out what the BSFC’s are on this one. Might even have to put more vents in the fuel tanks so they don’t get sucked in. Lmao

How about my new 200# each bar stools. Made from 1/2” plate, OshKosh MRAP coil springs and some new shiny brake drums. Been keeping the powder coater busy lately.
82ae4d3a5175043043361316ccd94ab0.jpg
447fbb3ebe6604c2fc264fbd6bd2c3d3.jpg

Damn... I’d say it’s nice to have you back but I know because of these other idiots, you won’t stay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That was entertaining! Love to hear what that big kitty sounds like uncorked, and those stools are seriously cool! Stick around just to spite those guys, rest of us get some educational entertainment!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

The loss in power and BSFC isn't just drive pressures. nice try!

PS Nice to see you back. No sarc.

This is what I mean by internet BS. I don’t give 2 chits what you believe but I personally own both single and twin turbo trucks and have singled out Acerts for people that believe the internet hype and there is a huge difference. The only power loss is from removing them and losing the broad power range compounds offer.

I have personally installed 4 sets of them on older engines and the owners absolutely love them. I guess they just are lying and secretly remove them when no one is looking? And I saw you asked earlier who’s putting acerts in gliders. Out of the last 9 or so gliders I bet 5 were acerts, 2 were E models and one got Acert twins (700+hp and 6.5mpg pulling a gas bottle and couldn’t beat the smile off the owners face with a hammer. Must be swimming in BSFC’s) and 2 got ISX’s and one of those have been switched to a Cat after it broke a crank. Putting a 2250 ISX in the one we’re doing now.

Love me some steering wheel engineers. Know everything about everything but drive a truck for someone else. If you don’t have first hand experience with something or have a financial stake in it I suggest you don’t act like your an expert in it.

I own cats and an ISX and work on tons of other people’s stuff. This isn’t info I’ve read about or something my cousins uncles friends dog overheard at a truckstop or read in a magazine. Tear apart a DD15/13 once and see how cheap and flimsy they are. Same with the European wonder Maxxforce/MAN junk. The only one I’ve seen so far that isn’t too bad is the Paccar MX. Watch a Richie Brothers auction and see what brings money. The true test on what’s good is what someone is willing to pay for it. 2012 IH with a Maxxforce selling for $12k or less. 2002 KW or Pete with a Cat is $40k. I sold my 2001 W9 daycab Cat, 13spd with 1.2mil for $38,000. How many BSFC’s is that equal to?

There is no correlation between running compound turbos and high BSFC, I can see cats test cell data where they list BSFC for every modern engine they test, you can see the progressive increase in fuel consumption as engines get newer, this is related to timing in the files in relation to emissions.

Knowing that acerts respond greatly to different files with more timing shows this as well with the large increase in fuel economy.

As everyone that thinks converting to a single is the cats azz on an acert they didn’t do it without changing programming, so they really are clueless as to where the gains are made.

When we swap an older engine to acert compounds the wastegate reference point is move to the outlet of the small turbo, getting the wastegate open sooner works wonders.

Riddle me this batman? What do you think is more efficient, someone pushing a S400 to upper 30psi range or a set of acert compounds running at 45psi.

Damn it's glad to see you guys...and while I know it won't shut up the S60 driving dipstick, that was one bad ass way of coming back into a thread!

Like you guys, we worry about how happy my driver is rather than fuel mileage, so I will definitely continue to be glad Faulkner is close enough to tune my junk!
Chris

There is no correlation between running compound turbos and high BSFC, I can see cats test cell data where they list BSFC for every modern engine they test, you can see the progressive increase in fuel consumption as engines get newer, this is related to timing in the files in relation to emissions.

Knowing that acerts respond greatly to different files with more timing shows this as well with the large increase in fuel economy.

As everyone that thinks converting to a single is the cats azz on an acert they didn’t do it without changing programming, so they really are clueless as to where the gains are made.

When we swap an older engine to acert compounds the wastegate reference point is move to the outlet of the small turbo, getting the wastegate open sooner works wonders.

Riddle me this batman? What do you think is more efficient, someone pushing a S400 to upper 30psi range or a set of acert compounds running at 45psi.

Most efficient? Whatever setup has lower bsfc. Constantly running 30:1 afr or leaner isn't that. Running the RICHEST afr while still remaining above the smoke limit will always be more efficient. Running compounds where the compressor map is in a bit better spot isn't that.

Now I get that I'm mostly talking about stock acert compounds and you guys likely don't run them that way. I also get that if you're always pushing excess air throttle response will be increased due to how smoke limiting maps work, diesnt take a genius to figure that one out. I also get that above a certain power level and or pressure ratio compounds make sense (probably around 700 at the wheels for a 15l engine).

But what does all of this cost at normal cruising loads? Even if you are 100k plus. Moving air isn't free. Also having excess air in the chamber even if it was free will still affect bsfc.

Last edited:
Do they test the engines at all load ranges or just WOT? Have they tested the newer engines IE volvo and Detroit in the past year or so?

It’s so cool to have some knowledge back...

And as a little touch back. I’ve been driving my truck a little different this week. I did 3000 mike this week and got basically the same fuel mileage I’ve been getting prior to changing my driving style a little. However I’m not backing down 3 gears, and baby sitting the pyro now. It dropped pretty low on this last tank but I had a pretty nasty wind in Kansas and I was also in a hurry to beat the clock.
It hasn’t gotten any better but it’s nicer to drive. I’m still in the 5.0-5.3 range for some reason. I’ll continue to try and work on my driving to see if that help though. Thanks for the help guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Back