Valve train tick

madmikeismad

So mad
I've set valve lash 3 times now in 3 months, fixed a couple ticks, but still can't figure out the last one. It's too quiet to hear anywhere but in the cab. Is it possible to use a stethoscope on the valve covers to listen for louder ticks? Or is it just too damn loud to hear anything? I've never used one so I have no idea how much they really help.

And I've been setting them to 10/20 now just so I can figure this out. I was using 8/18 with a 181 cam, for years. This problem is fairly recent since the head gasket swap over the summer. Tick goes away/smooths out under load, comes back while coasting.

I've set valve lash 3 times now in 3 months, fixed a couple ticks, but still can't figure out the last one. It's too quiet to hear anywhere but in the cab. Is it possible to use a stethoscope on the valve covers to listen for louder ticks? Or is it just too damn loud to hear anything? I've never used one so I have no idea how much they really help.

And I've been setting them to 10/20 now just so I can figure this out. I was using 8/18 with a 181 cam, for years. This problem is fairly recent since the head gasket swap over the summer. Tick goes away/smooths out under load, comes back while coasting.

I'm sure you have already eliminated this possibility, but could it be the lift pump, that is if you still use the stock one?

I'm sure you have already eliminated this possibility, but could it be the lift pump, that is if you still use the stock one?

I actually thought that for a split second in a tired stupor at the end of the shift last night, then I remembered it's been gone for years LOL

I had this problem with my engine. Set valve lash and a day later it'd be outta wack on a few cylinders. Turned out to be a bent valve from piston to valve contact with my intake valve.

Do you know you piston to valve clearance? If you take your intake tube off is it louder?

Mine made the ticks at the same time as yours too. It was noticeable under a load but it was at idle and while coasting.

This was a Hamilton 188/220 cam.

My broken stud/blown gasket did this for 1000 miles before I made a bunch of 3krpm + pulls and it finally let completely go. Unlikely but a thought.

My duramax had the same issue and it was a copper injector washer not sealing.

I'll look for fuel, but i didn't notice any wetness the other day.

I had this problem with my engine. Set valve lash and a day later it'd be outta wack on a few cylinders. Turned out to be a bent valve from piston to valve contact with my intake valve.

Do you know you piston to valve clearance? If you take your intake tube off is it louder?

Mine made the ticks at the same time as yours too. It was noticeable under a load but it was at idle and while coasting.

This was a Hamilton 188/220 cam.

Clearance is whatever stock is, plus the 181 cam. But I've been running it for 3 years. Never had an issue until this head gasket swap, and that was only because it was leaking oil down the passenger side. Cylinder areas were fine. I can't hear it at all with the intake off, engine is just too loud.

My broken stud/blown gasket did this for 1000 miles before I made a bunch of 3krpm + pulls and it finally let completely go. Unlikely but a thought.

I haven't noticed any signs of head gasket issue. Oil and water are still clean, and power is same as always.

Is it definitely in the valve train? I had damaged timing gears that made a faint tick.

I was sure my noise was valve train until I pulled the timing cover and saw every gear had teeth missing. Would have expected a lot more noise from it than a tick. Might be worth a look.

I'll be watching this. My truck does the samething. With a stock cam. Original head gasket. my only thought is exhaust tick ?

On sleds to listen for faint ticks we would use a pry bar or a long metal rod and put your ear against it. It works.

Last edited:
try the manifold to head gasket.. If you have ever owned a small block with headers you know what I am talking about..

I'll be watching this. My truck does the samething. With a stock cam. Original head gasket. my only thought is exhaust tick ?

On sleds to listen for faint ticks we would use a pry bar or a long metal rod and put your ear against it. It works.

I'm try that.
try the manifold to head gasket.. If you have ever owned a small block with headers you know what I am talking about..
I have been chasing exhaust leaks. Can't find this last one though.
What head gasket did you use?
Oem from snedge

My faint tick when decelerating and no load on the engine turned out to be a wrist pin bushing. Chased the entire valve train and even thought we fixed the tick when the helix took a dump. The wrist pin finally gave up a few months ago

Just pulled apart one last night that sounded just like a valve train tick and it was the #1 Rod bearing spun and was letting the piston tap the head.

My faint tick when decelerating and no load on the engine turned out to be a wrist pin bushing. Chased the entire valve train and even thought we fixed the tick when the helix took a dump. The wrist pin finally gave up a few months ago

Just pulled apart one last night that sounded just like a valve train tick and it was the #1 Rod bearing spun and was letting the piston tap the head.

You 2 are just bundles of joy. Lol

You 2 are just bundles of joy. Lol

259d621a31acb1363224beece28be293.jpg
2c2929df048b24c73e6f74d0d0e98529.jpg
d5068864ace57d2cbc9c64d03d566c8b.jpg

I try. This is the bad bearing we found. Got smashed out and then spun. Literally sounded just like the valve lash was too loose on one valve. I hope that's not the OP's issue but it is a possibility.

You guys suck. LOL

Yeah it was retorqued twice, and lash rechecked. Then lash rechecked again to get rid of a really back tick. Still hunting down this one though.

I've noticed now that its colder at night, there is no tick until the engine warms up to where the water gauge actually moves. Whatever temp that is.

Back