Valve train tick

Not to be a downer, but the one I pulled apart got louder as the engine warmed up too. Probably due to everything expanding with the heat slightly.

Not to be a downer, but the one I pulled apart got louder as the engine warmed up too. Probably due to everything expanding with the heat slightly.

LOL If I can't figure it out soon, the pan is coming off to check some stuff.

I had a tick in my original engine. Chased it and chased it even overhauled the engine. To make a long story short, two engines ticked my current does not. A bent rod was the cause.

Told you to reset those valves after you left LOL

LOL they've been reset several times since. Timing on the other hand..... I still have no idea what it's actually at. I'm guesstimating 22*. I've advanced it a little for dex's dyno days.

There may be a failed retainer or a rocker or something if that sort, still working, but causinf a tickig noise.

Yeah me too. I'm about to replace all the exhaust gaskets to find that damn leak thats evading me. I can see smoke, but I can't tell where it's coming from.

Hold a piece of tissue with needle nose pliers and run it around the gaskets. When it starts to flutter that's where the leak is. I've found a lot of leaks at work doing this when its too hot of an area to put your hand into.

Hold a piece of tissue with needle nose pliers and run it around the gaskets. When it starts to flutter that's where the leak is. I've found a lot of leaks at work doing this when its too hot of an area to put your hand into.

I'd have to take the fan off to do that. It's windy as phuck everywhere under the hood. worth a shot though.

If you have not done so before taking anything substantial down consider removing the front timing case and looking at your vacuum pump gear. Mine lost a few teeth and made sounds which had the best mechanics I know thinking I had a lifter issue.

If you have not done so before taking anything substantial down consider removing the front timing case and looking at your vacuum pump gear. Mine lost a few teeth and made sounds which had the best mechanics I know thinking I had a lifter issue.

This sounds is definitely coming from the top of the motor. Can't really hear it from the underneath. I'll add it to the list though.

This sounds is definitely coming from the top of the motor. Can't really hear it from the underneath. I'll add it to the list though.

Trust me, I thought the sound was coming from the top of the motor as well as did my mechanic friends.

I saw a previous poster recommended the same thing I'm recommending in that you should look at the gears. If you absolutely can't find the sound coming from anywhere else it is worth it to pull the timing cover.

Back