VP Dynamic Timing Vs. Advancing

Another question I have is this...Do you have your fuel pump hooked to your factory harness or a switch to 12v power? When my pump is hooked to direct power, I can pull another 100rpm. I found that my ecm was cutting off power once my truck went over 4200rpm. When the switch is on, I can go 4300rpm.
[/QUOT
you run your pump off a toggle?.help me out. how did you wire to a 12v source?the gain was 100rpm . so you are bypassing the ecm?
thanks for the help

Yep, I ran a toggle switch to my airdog power line on a quick tap connector. The pump is ran by the stock harness through a relay until I hit the switch, then its full power.

thats the easiest way to hook up a good 12v to it when you need it. cummins724 what can you bring your airdog down to for psi at wot

wow, yours drops pretty low doesnt it?? but you have some big sticks tho right?

ya im going to have to switch to a larger pump soon to see if that helps, i havent talked to chip yet but what does the unlimited tune consist of

ya im going to have to switch to a larger pump soon to see if that helps, i havent talked to chip yet but what does the unlimited tune consist of

He changes the software so that the box never stops fueling. I have to get mine done soon, first pull starts in February this year.

He changes the software so that the box never stops fueling. I have to get mine done soon, first pull starts in February this year.

Be sure to let us know how that beast runs. I'm assuming that the charge for the unlimited upgrade is free since no one has mentioned an upgrade charge?

what box are we talking about here...i often wondered alot of these same questions bout timing since on a gas motor the degreeing or adv ret of the can makes a big diff..and its all done by keys..with these pumps all ya do is bolt em in...and hope its degreed right....seemed strange to me

Be sure to let us know how that beast runs. I'm assuming that the charge for the unlimited upgrade is free since no one has mentioned an upgrade charge?

I always give feedback on anything I do....should have seen my wifes face after I told her the feedback after our first "date".:hehe: I heard that Chip isn't charging any longer, but last I talked to him, it was $50.

what box are we talking about here...i often wondered alot of these same questions bout timing since on a gas motor the degreeing or adv ret of the can makes a big diff..and its all done by keys..with these pumps all ya do is bolt em in...and hope its degreed right....seemed strange to me

Well, these pumps have special keys that coincide with the calibration of the pump so that when it is installed, it is degreed right. Without pulling the front cover, the pump gear cannot move far enough to change position. If you do remove the cover, there are alignment marks. If the marks are lined up, and the proper key is in the pump, the injection timing will be right.
Sean

Dont really know why you would want to but I wonder if you could retard pump timing 5* and stack two timing boxes with no ill effects?

Dont really know why you would want to but I wonder if you could retard pump timing 5* and stack two timing boxes with no ill effects?

VP has only 25* of timing available, so if you need 32* you have to advance its base timing to get there. Retarding timing would have no beneficial effect IMO.

i did try it, but there was no power down low and there was way to much timing down there but up top was like no other, it was popping and billowing brown smoke when i started to get on it, and it didnt want to rev but once it got past 2500rpm it took off like crazy, the best way to explain it is it felt like a smarty on level 9 with a comp on, but i also have these fire hose size injectors so that added to the affect of the to much timing and to way to much fuel down low

I was thinking about this today as I was looking at my truck. I wonder if the 6* key you added to your cam may actually be hurting you? Any updates on the 10* yet?

By retarding the timing, you would only be able to achieve 19-20* tops as the max timing a VP has is either 24 or 25* I've heard both. I have heard of lots of people having issues with stacked timing boxes, and I think thats because either conflicting signals. Or its trying to reach full advance at too low of an RPM and that doesn't work with the VP. Like 01 said. When he went to 10* it was a lot of gain up top, but he had sputtering and issues down low. That may work though if you were running a fuel only box, like a TST and all the timing was mechanical and you weren't getting any advance from a box at the lower rpm.
Sean

By retarding the timing, you would only be able to achieve 19-20* tops as the max timing a VP has is either 24 or 25* I've heard both. I have heard of lots of people having issues with stacked timing boxes, and I think thats because either conflicting signals. Or its trying to reach full advance at too low of an RPM and that doesn't work with the VP. Like 01 said. When he went to 10* it was a lot of gain up top, but he had sputtering and issues down low. That may work though if you were running a fuel only box, like a TST and all the timing was mechanical and you weren't getting any advance from a box at the lower rpm.
Sean

Doesn't the edge fuel depending on boost psi? Being that 01cumminssport advanced his timing & saw less boost...doesn't that kinda explain his cutting out/low power problem down low? I'm thinking that the Adrenaline or Smarty might be the ticket here as they both fuel as soon as APPS movement is detected. I'm really excited about doing this mod because my truck has alot of adjustability either with the ADR or Smarty.

Doesn't the edge fuel depending on boost psi? Being that 01cumminssport advanced his timing & saw less boost...doesn't that kinda explain his cutting out/low power problem down low? I'm thinking that the Adrenaline or Smarty might be the ticket here as they both fuel as soon as APPS movement is detected. I'm really excited about doing this mod because my truck has alot of adjustability either with the ADR or Smarty.

thats because he had too much timing. the fuel was igniting too far before TDC and each time trying to stall the crank. must've rattled like heck!
BUT... when RPMs increase, the timing is needed for complete burn/power. it still takes the same amount of time to burn the fuel, regardless of how fast the engine is spinning.$.02
I would adjust the timing tables on the ADR or smarty to advance slower so the engine can catch up and USE the timing more effectively.:Cheer:

Back