VP Dynamic Timing Vs. Advancing

Yes the only reason to even go after more timing with a vp imo is for sled pulling. Because at 4krpm a vp doesnt make any power. There is fuel there what little there is but the issue is timing to move the power range in higher rpm. I have thought about this and this (~ 24-25° is the limit with an unmodified piston/case) is why i havent went into it further. I havent myself checked to see the timing on my 02(hrvp) as i have the ability to run 4k rpm and have access to the snap-on timing light just havent felt the need. Now i would like to see what timing people are getting out of say a monster vp and the II pump as these have internal mods.

I havent seen those blue-point units before. I have used time trac though, and its really very accurate, I'm just not sure if they make an adapter for the flywheel pickup on a 5.9.

you could use one of the universal stick on timing marks from a gasser with the same diameter balancer

ok im understanding everything you guys are saying about advancing the timimg physically, but can someone clarify what a cam timing advance keyway? i've been wondering how this works

that little keyway thats in both the cam and the VP shaft, can be used to advance/retard the timing. there are offset keyway kits available to use. i think Scheid sells these, maybe other companies do also...

the advanced keyway for the cam is used to advance the cam timing in relation to the piston, self explainatory, it helps with spool up and cools egts down even more in most cases, using the same keyway on the pump will give the same affect as adding more timing to a p-pump truck, it advances the injection timing throughout the entire range over stack and even over a timing box

Advancing the cam would also advance the vp pump? Does advancing the cam require fly cutting pistons or anything of that sort?

no, the only time youll need to fly cut is if you get a cam with a huge lift.. with cams like stockers, or smaller street cams like i have, you wont need to fly cut..

Advancing the cam would also advance the vp pump? Does advancing the cam require fly cutting pistons or anything of that sort?

If you leave the gears lined up, and advance the cam through the use of a keyway, you will be changing the position of the cam in relation to the cam gear. The VP to crank relation will not be changed though. So no, advancing the cam does not change the VP timing.
Sean

no, the only time youll need to fly cut is if you get a cam with a huge lift.. with cams like stockers, or smaller street cams like i have, you wont need to fly cut..

were not playing with non interference engines are we, didnt think so, if you advance it enough it will deffinately hit the piston

how far can you advance it until this happens??

i dont see the need of advancing it that much, by the time you hit a piston i would have to think that you would be loosing power instead of gaining, i have gone 6 degrees at the most on any engine and i dont see a reason for more advance than that anyway

the more i think about boxes and chips and tricking timing the more I think about breaking down and p pumping it.....

if i could only figure out a strong, reliable way to get a vvt style dynamic timing setup working with a p pump.

I've been informed that I dont know what you're talking about. on the DL, yes.

Back