VP44. $1700 Blue Chip or other?

4x4dually

Please tell what you'd buy if you had to or had to do over for a 450 hp normally heavy towing truck (not a sled puller or drag racer).

I want a quality unit and don't want to do this again.

:thankyou2:

Symptoms: Rough Idle on cold motor and miss at low rpms until warm. Smokes like a freakin' dog all the time reguardless of Edge power level or low boost fuel setting.

Juice w/ att and a Murphy Data Display. I can say the injectors have been gone through by Mumau, air filter is clean, IC boots inspected and tested, fuel filter clean, LP pressure of 12 psi min, yada yada yada. Ideas?

II 62/71/14. Max boost is now 38 psi instead of the old 43. APPs is ok, valid reading with no jumping. LP pressure jumps during low rpm missing but jumps from 12 to 18.

WTF were you thinking I meant? Have a few brews at lunch? LOL

Prolly thought you were asking what kind of box you should buy.

If you have a $1700 to play with. Get a rebuilt SO from II and find a used set of Mach 6's or 4's or DDPs 200s/150 that have been gone thru and checked out. Sell your Edge 150s and don't tap the pump.

I don't have any money to "play with" I just don't want to be a cheap ass and do this again in a year. I need to know my options.

Does anyone buy them from Cummins anymore? I always hear blue chip and industrial. I plan to call mumau whenever mine decides it's done, at 217k now.

Chris

Does anyone buy them from Cummins anymore? I always hear blue chip and industrial. I plan to call mumau whenever mine decides it's done, at 217k now.

Chris

I did email Jeff a while ago. I'm just doing research while he gets back to me with a price. :D I'm waiting on his price too.

I haven't really kept up on the latest and greatest with VP's but i also haven't stumbled across anything to make me think the I.I. or blue chip version is any better from a reliability standpoint. The blue chip is expensive and i've heard way to many stories of people having trouble getting core credit from I.I. to discount it completely. That's why i was planning to call Jeff and get one from Cummins.

My .02

I'm glad you mentioned the "core recovery" from II. I have read that a few times. Nice thought. I'll keep that in mind.

II just told me on the phone that if the truck runs "chances are" the core will be acceptable. Chance as in 95% or 35%? :hehe:

II just told me on the phone that if the truck runs "chances are" the core will be acceptable. Chance as in 95% or 35%? :hehe:

If I'm going to leave it up to someone else whether I get hundreds of dollars back or NOT, its going to be someone I feel I can trust.

Back