VP44. $1700 Blue Chip or other?

Some of you say you wait till your lift pump dies before you replace it, why? That is killing your pump. First thing I do when purchasing a vp44 truck is replace that weak thing.

I quit driving mine because it was getting so bad I was affraid it was going to lock up. From what I've read and been told on the phone, a locked core won't be accepted and I don't want to lose a $400-$500 core because I was stubborn enough to "drive it 'til it won't drive no mo." :D I'm assuming a locked, or "gualled up" rotor and/or housing is beyond reworking? I guess with a .0005 tolerance on parts I can see that being the case.

The saga continues. It still smokes like hell and won't make max boost. Even on "stock" level on the juice, it still streams constant smoke out the exhuast down the road even at 2000+ RPM when boost levels out at around 12 psi. It don't make no sense. It has to be a "timing" thing, any agree? Power_Ram_4x4 is going to reflash my ECM here soon after he gets his DRB loaded so maybe that will help....?....I'm outta thoughts. I did find a boost leak last night under the grid heaters. I know better than to re-use gaskets but we were in a hurry. :D Got that fixed. Wastgate hose was blown too. Replaced that....no luck. Same crap. It also pops or gurgles under heavy pedal in the mid rpm range. WTH is that all about?

Anyone?

P.S. Strapped a trailer with #11,475 of cattle on it last night. S.M.O.K.E.!!!!!

So did you do a full system pressure check to make sure there wasn't any holes in the IC, boots, ect. ?

Yes. I did. I put a conglomeration of fittings onto a big rubber boot and clamped it on the turbo inlet. Put about 10 psi on it and squirted soapy water all over that truck. That is how I found the first leaks. Maybe I need more pressure? I didn't hear anything leaking out the turbo. I have been thinking the wastegate may be leaking but what is the chance of that?

So you did put the new pump on ? If so what changes did you notice and what hasnt changed ?

Brand new IP from Midwest. Idles great. Fixed that problem. It does however seem to idle a tad high. New DDRP so fuel psi holds 20 psi idle or medium pedal.

Does anything need "calibrated" when swapping IP's? I sure didn't think so. The key is alighned properly and still no codes. The problem has gotten worse over time so something has been degrading...or at least seems to. I can hit 38 psi, the next time hit 34, then maybe a 39, then a 32....but I'm supposed to see 43 max when at WOT and have for 2 years. Another thing is...it don't make no EGTs! Max EGT's are around 1100 at WOT on level 5. I should peg that SOB around 1350 or at least have for a long time. WTH?

No heat and no boost.

Map sensor?

You know, I bought a new one a while back and it didn't help much. I still got the old one in my console. I had thought about swapping it but haven't yet. I'll do that tonight and try it. Hopefully we'll flash the ECM at lunch if Trent has time or even has his DRB with him today. I may have to run to his house after work.

I keep an old MAP sensor, cleaned and polished, in the Cummins box in my console in hopes that if I ever get pulled over for excessive smoke, I can tell the cops "I have a bad sensor but I have a new one right here. I'll put it in tonight.". Think it will work? :hehe:

Cam sensor perhaps.

I thought of that too...but no codes? If any sensor is out of spec, don't it thow a code? Voltage to high, low, open, short, it should code!

This truck is getting closer and closer to the bottom of my pond.... :bang:hehe:

The 02's have a CAM sensor and a crank sensor, right? Or is the crank one missing on the '02. I can't remember. They changed it up on us and I can't remember which is correct.

Crank sensor is missing on the 02'. There's just the one behind the VP. TPS calibration? Clean the IAT sensor? Right keyway on VP pump?

Crank sensor is missing on the 02'. There's just the one behind the VP. TPS calibration? Clean the IAT sensor? Right keyway on VP pump?

TPS (APPS) was calibrated not too long ago...calibrated meaning reading voltage at PCM and matching it to the sticker value on the APPS by rotating the sensor, not the battery off then on then push the pedal deal.

New IAT about 20K ago...but I'll clean it tonight, good idea.

Keyway is correct on pump. Verified by mirror and flashlight....and the guy that put it in has done between 40 and 50 of them at the Dodge house he said so I'm really confident in the install.

Sensor might be bad and the truck never throw a code. Weirded things have happened.

Put some more things to rest just now. With DRB hooked to it we drove a few miles out then back. IAT is good. Cam sensor is good. IP RPM matches motor RPM. MAP sensor is reading properly.

Dammed if I know now. My concern now is the wastegate is hung open and doens't close all the way. But I can't for the life of me figure out why that would cause the EGT's to not elevate. *scratches head*.

NADP sells there version of a hot pump and stock pumps worth a shot for you Americans since your dollar is worth more

Jory I finally broke down and joined lol
This is all way over my head. I think your on the right track with the timing. However I dont know the cause, if you have ruled out all sensors and edge then I think it must be the vp.

If you buy a pump dont buy II. The chances of you getting your core is slim.

Nathan

Last edited:
Jory I finally broke down and joined lol
This is all way over my head. I think your on the right track with the timing. However I dont know the cause, if you have ruled out all sensors and edge then I think it must be the vp.

If you buy a pump dont buy II. The chances of you getting your core is slim.

Nathan

Hey punk. I just put on a new pump from Midwest Fuel Injection! It ain't got 100 miles on it.

Don't you have some diapers to change? :hehe: I hear the little one cryin'.

Hey punk. I just put on a new pump from Midwest Fuel Injection! It ain't got 100 miles on it.

Don't you have some diapers to change? :hehe: I hear the little one cryin'.

lol how did you know?

Well whats you problem then? No boost? Cant peg you pyro? Hows the performance?

Back