VP44. $1700 Blue Chip or other?

Does anyone buy them from Cummins anymore? I always hear blue chip and industrial. I plan to call mumau whenever mine decides it's done, at 217k now.

Chris

I doubt if Industrial does it, and Jeff might or might not, but Blue Chip will take the pump back with a smile if you put it on and it is not the problem. So, is that worth $600? I guess if you put on a new pump and it still runs like crap you are taking a gamble of losing a grand or you could buy theirs and pay an extra $600 for insurance. :bang

Chips pump is the way to go he will talk you through the process of checking everything to make sure it is the pump before he sells you one I noticed a major power pick up but my pump may have been going for a while

I'm not saying anything for the fear of jinxing my pump.:hehe:
But i want to be informed when the inevitable happens.

I'm not saying anything for the fear of jinxing my pump.:hehe:
But i want to be informed when the inevitable happens.

I hear ya. I'm trying to post up info to save someone time when it happens. Probably YOU!!! :hehe: Better save up $1500!!! :bang

you can go to bluechip website and there is directions on how and what to check to diagnose any pump problems. You can also call chip and talk to him and he can and will diagnose your problem over the phone. Chip is a real nice guy and the most knowledgeable about the VP pumps. He will not try and sell you a pump. Call him and see for yourself. By the way there is not a better pump out there.

I have had great luck with scheids pump! It's a hrvp and a little costly but I have been givin it hell for 4yrs now (about 70K) and no issues as of yet!

I have also heard good things about source automotive, and have infact dealt with city diesel on there pumps! great pumps IMO!

Let me muddy up the lift pump water a little....my Carter 4601hp from Summit is now 5 years old on the frame rail and 15psi idle/10 psi WOT....lol

Your loss of power and smoke are the same symptoms my VP44 had when the timing circuit was setting fault codes. Basically the pump was unable to reach full timing advance and thus the smoke and loss of power.

Sounds like the pump to me but you never know!

you can go to bluechip website and there is directions on how and what to check to diagnose any pump problems. You can also call chip and talk to him and he can and will diagnose your problem over the phone. Chip is a real nice guy and the most knowledgeable about the VP pumps. He will not try and sell you a pump. Call him and see for yourself. By the way there is not a better pump out there.

Read the whole website yesterday. Called Chip too. Sounds like a nice guy. But for $1700? That seems a little steep. His site is packed full of info and my symptoms fall into a few of the "pump failure" paragraphs...dangit. So I called him and he's pretty sure that is the problem.

Your loss of power and smoke are the same symptoms my VP44 had when the timing circuit was setting fault codes. Basically the pump was unable to reach full timing advance and thus the smoke and loss of power.

Sounds like the pump to me but you never know!

I'm almost certain it is either the computer or the timing piston or a combo of the two. I found the number of the diesel tech that worked here at the dogde place for a few years then went to another dealer and then came back....now this dealer next door lost their dodge so he is looking to open his own diesel mech shop locally. He's going to try to come out tomorrow and bring a good scanner and some "pump testing equipment"...what ever that may be.

Let me muddy up the lift pump water a little....my Carter 4601hp from Summit is now 5 years old on the frame rail and 15psi idle/10 psi WOT....lol

F that Carter. I bought one from summit and it lasted 4 months. I gone through 2 Holley blue pumps, 1 Carter and now I have and AirDog150. I wish I would have gotten the AD150 the day my first LP died.

Lots of good folks had trouble with Carter...is your AirDog powered by your ECM like a stock pump?

You can also call chip and talk to him and he can and will diagnose your problem over the phone. Chip is a real nice guy and the most knowledgeable about the VP pumps. He will not try and sell you a pump. Call him and see for yourself. By the way there is not a better pump out there.

Called Chip too. Sounds like a nice guy. But for $1700? That seems a little steep. His site is packed full of info and my symptoms fall into a few of the "pump failure" paragraphs...dangit. So I called him and he's pretty sure that is the problem.

I couldn't have asked for any better service from Bluechip when I dealt with them in the past. $.02
Service after the sell is worth a $ amount. What that amount is will vary with individuals.

Well, I think we are all wrong. :D I got in contact with a guy in town that has been the diesel tech for the dealer for a few years and he brought out a DRB. It found nothing. Then he unplugged the IP and plugged on a little box from Cummins and fired up the truck. The cummins box powers the IP seperate from the ECM and it idled like new. The box also has a high idle and it was crisp and clean also. The little black box won't let us test drive as the IP is isolated from the ECM, but I think I've lost ANOTHER ECM. So, I would like to find one I can borrow for a test drive before I buy a new one. I got this used one from Bob Wagoner for a great price but I think I've learned my lesson with used electronics. So, I want to try one before I drop 300-500 on a new one. Beats a grand for an IP don't it! I'm stoked....j/k..it is still half a grand. :hehe:

Does anyone have an ECM I can borrow for a test drive for an 02 6-speed? I'll glady pay shipping both ways and get it back to you ASAP.

THANKS TO POWER RAM 4X4...my newly found LOCAL diesel tech!!!!!

Plugs right into the stock wiring harness.

Glad it's working out for you.

I hope I don't have to go through 3 pumps when my 4601HP finally let's go.
When I tap the VP next month, I might be a little short on pressure.
Did you put in a bigger suction line/Draw Straw stuff?

Ok. Dammmmmit! This truck is wissin' me off now.

Took ECM out of my neighbors truck last night and put it in mine. Only difference I know of in the 01's and 02's is the oil pressure sensor. Everything worked except that gauge. It ran like crap. No change. Put mine back in it.

Unplugged Juice module. Idle instantly cleared up when I restarted the motor. VICTORY!!!

So I left the Juice off last night and unplugged the MAP sensor splice (tee harness) and decided to drive the truck to work today stock. (well, sort-a). Fired it up this morning after it sat all night.....bad idle...*remove VICTORY.

It did however run ok down the highway and the smoke was waaaaay more tolerable but now I think I'm back to the pump. Also filled up again this morning and recalculated milage.

Last three tanks were:
13.9 mpg
12.8 mpg
12.4 mpg

Trendy isn't it? :D WTF is wrong with this stupid SOB? Back to electronics on the IP?

Ordered a Midwest Fuel Injection pump yesterday afternoon. I should have it on Friday. Them and Industrial were the cheapest (of the reputable companies that I have good things about) and MWFI could get it to me in 2 days ground. II takes 4-5 days ground. So, we'll see how it goes. Seems that since I had my injectors re-poped at higher pressures becuase they were all over the place that the pump has taken a nose dive quicker and quicker. :D

Some of you say you wait till your lift pump dies before you replace it, why? That is killing your pump. First thing I do when purchasing a vp44 truck is replace that weak thing.

Back