Water Gun fight...

Fill the bottles, fill the water tanks, fill the fuel tanks, just come to the tracks and fill the staging lanes.:rockwoot:[/QUOTE]

now that's what i'm talking about, you the man!!!:clap:

DIESEL POWER said:
boy i love how you miss read everything i post,.......... i said "LIKE" nitrous in the sence that it adds oxygen to engine (H20)--just in case you forgot! and it cool and adds cylinder psi--------lots of similarities there, but not the big power gain, like you where pushing....

water makes several things possible, it will give more TQ, cooler EGT's and thousands have seen HP increases with it up to 40 HP, it also CAN make you motor last longer due to cooler temps. so yeathere is a great advantage to using it, otherwise all the diesel pulling world would not use it!:eek:wned:

The diesel pulling world uses water injection to control Charge air temps, and exhaust gas temps. Want some education on it.. call Hypermax.. they were the first ones to implement it!!

DavidTD said:
I think us diesel guys will argue about anything. :hehe: :hehe:

My personal observations:

I've never seen straight water add power (or anything worth calling a gain) but have seen it stabilize intake air temps. Meaning, the truck will run more pulls on the dyno before yeilding to higher intake temps. I have seen people lie about using meth to make the water appear to add power too.

I have seen meth add small doses of power.

I have seen 100hp or so with propane and as little as 20 or so.

I have seen as high as ~ 600hp gain with nitrous.

Most engines running water systems injecting like we are talking about do not run intercoolers. In my mind, this is their way of intercooling. So if water is a power adder in this case, so should a intercooler be considered one.

When I came into this industry, the general opinion of those I learned from was diesel only or drugs. Water was not a drug, meth was. Propane was, and or course N2O was too.

Diesels can run without turbo's so I guess all motor technically would be a NA diesel.

Does any of this matter really? Like Timmay said, 3 trucks in the nines and 4 if you include Garmon's 2003 pass. Fill the bottles, fill the water tanks, fill the fuel tanks, just come to the tracks and fill the staging lanes.:rockwoot:
Very well put David.. wonder if folks will read this and absorb it, or just scan over cause it doesn't back up their point of view??

JOHNBOY said:
Water adds cylinder pressure before TDC. You know when that piston thingy is going up. That does not necessarily make power. Heck it can cost power. Increasing cylinder pressure after TDC. (When that piston thingy is going down) is when power out put is increased. *bdh*

I agree 100%.. and any engine that is using a large amount of water injection has been decompressed to compensate for this. My guess is from watching the Smith truck idle, it has too.

DavidTD said:
I think us diesel guys will argue about anything. :hehe: :hehe:

My personal observations:

I've never seen straight water add power (or anything worth calling a gain) but have seen it stabilize intake air temps. Meaning, the truck will run more pulls on the dyno before yeilding to higher intake temps. I have seen people lie about using meth to make the water appear to add power too.

I have seen meth add small doses of power.

I have seen 100hp or so with propane and as little as 20 or so.

I have seen as high as ~ 600hp gain with nitrous.

Most engines running water systems injecting like we are talking about do not run intercoolers. In my mind, this is their way of intercooling. So if water is a power adder in this case, so should a intercooler be considered one.

When I came into this industry, the general opinion of those I learned from was diesel only or drugs. Water was not a drug, meth was. Propane was, and or course N2O was too.

Diesels can run without turbo's so I guess all motor technically would be a NA diesel.

Does any of this matter really? Like Timmay said, 3 trucks in the nines and 4 if you include Garmon's 2003 pass. Fill the bottles, fill the water tanks, fill the fuel tanks, just come to the tracks and fill the staging lanes.:rockwoot:
-------------
David:

As usual, great post!:rockwoot:

FWIW, to back up what you have already said, I have also have NOT seen ANY INCREASE in H.P./TQ. on my 96' Dodge CTD 12 valve with the addition of the distilled water and "NAPA Number 13" Anti-Rust and Pump Lubricant." I cannot run my truck hard without the water injection without seeing 1800+
exhaust gas temperatures! Now as you also pointed out, the adddition of methanol to that water WILL increase H.P. and it did on my truck too, BUT,
the detonation was terrible and I decided not to use it after that. I am by no means an expert on water injection, but have been told and read that the reason I see the detonation I do on my 12 valve engine when the methanol is added is because of the high "static/fixed" timing associated with the P-Pump versus the "variable timing" on the 98.5-new 24 valve engines.

Wade and myself had discussed this somewhat on another thread here on CompDiesel this past week.

Thanks for your input David!:rockwoot:

--------
John_P

yeah....make a "pole" and write "GBE" on it....i'm sure comp would get right down on it. LOL LOL LOL LOL

Jim Fulmer said:
Hey Smitty, do you have a full size pic of that rear motor shot you use.

Jim

yes i do and i tried posting it but it says unable to resize.

is there anyone else on here that knows how to resize pics? I have the same problem sometimes.

CumminAtYa said:
is there anyone else on here that knows how to resize pics? I have the same problem sometimes.
just load em to photobucket.com or something of that sort and post the img link. If you want to resize them from there I know photobucket can resize them.

Two options, Read Here on how to resize pics, or load them to your member's gallery here instead of photobucket and hot link to them that way. Just look at the top of the page in the line of links below the banner ad for photo and click on it to go to the photo part of the site.

Hope this helps, if you need more just shoot one of us multicolored guys a PM :rockwoot:

Water

So if one built a hydrogen car that relied on water and electrolysis to produce hydrogen It would be "no motor" all power adder

see if this works.

DSC01726.JPG

Do you think the cylinder might have exceeded its limits by just a tad?

luke h said:
So if one built a hydrogen car that relied on water and electrolysis to produce hydrogen It would be "no motor" all power adder

Luke, that's just silly. Think about what you are saying? First, you're talking about a engine that is designed to run on hydrogen that is separated from water. That would be the same as trying to run a GAS engine on Diesel fuel. Gas is in Diesel ...right? Just think about your statement, wrong application. :thankyou2:

I guess you need to take the water and oil out of the motor as well. Oil keeps it slick and cool while the water takes the extra heat away......dang power adders.:poke:

Back