Welding 101 : post your questions here and we can discuss

LOL joe u always have something to sell, if u don't u can make it that's for sure. Baddest fabricator I know hands down

Any aluminum you plan to weld is brushed or cleaned just prior to welding, the soot is cleaned off.

your exactly right! they should use a S.s. wire brush to prevent cross contamination.... aluminum oxides on the surface can make the weld puddle act different. which would include porosity... which is an inclusion in the weldment that is a void, and in turn make the weld weak...

Since this a welding thread I figured a little welding art was called for.......

Work by John Marcella :

fuelmanifolds014.jpg

IMG_0179rev0.jpg

IMG_0340rev0rev0.jpg

Dude has mad skillz.

I'm buying a TIG welder. I think I'll problay go all out so I'll never need to buy one again. We use miller here at the plant and I enjoy there product over most others(I have played with LE, Hobart, ThermalArc..etc etc etc). I was going to get a Dynasty 200 series, but ther efairly expensive for something i'm not going to use day in and day out. The one nice thing is that its very portable and not a honkin think like a syncowave 200. However I need a good plasma cutter too so I may need to pull back on something.

I believe Hobart is the lesser version of Miller.

What are or do you think you'll need to plasma cut? General question...but, a blue-wrench or saw seems to be the choice on 3/8 or better stuff. I'm talking feild work or home stuff.

Is flux core weld stronger then regular mig? People keep tellin my this but every flux core weld Ive done or seen hasnt held up or doesnt look like it will

It depends on the welder who welded it. Got an idiot that doesn't prime or that does't chip and brush before the next pass...loaded question there. I have welded two brake rotors together with a 110 flux wire. I have welded hardened stainless steel with a 110 flux wire...and it's water tight. However, it would have been nice had I had a mig with 'gas' instead. The best weld is heat with no oxygen...no anything but the wire. There needs to be a sheild of some sort be it gas or flux. Although I will say, if you are in harsh conditions (you'll know when you start welding a good deal) the flux or stick is king. ;)

What are ya welding?

didnt matter what I was welding, just didnt turn out very good, prolly a combination of a bad welder and operator. Oh well, haha.

Well I'm looking to start fabrication of some of my biodiesel units. I'm a welding engineer for a utility company. I can weld but I dont do it day in an day out. I would say the max to which I'm going to be playing with 1/4" and down. But I will be welding very thin stuff too, thus i figured a good tig welder is a must. 1/4" and well below for tig applications. I'd say if i need to do more than 1/4" I have a mig that will suffice, but it would not be related to my biodiesel stuff.

I believe Hobart is the lesser version of Miller.

What are or do you think you'll need to plasma cut? General question...but, a blue-wrench or saw seems to be the choice on 3/8 or better stuff. I'm talking feild work or home stuff.

I think you are right. I went to Hobart and all we used were Miller welders.

i forgot i also won SkillsUSA national welding contest @ kanas city in '05 got some nice machines out of it, but like an idiot turned down the chance to go to the world comp... and anybody feel free to correct me if i'm wrong or disagree w/ waht i say, i'm no metalurgist j/ a pretty good weldor ... i'm j/ trying to help some people make some better descions be4 messing up a nice piece of work...

do u know chance polo from ewc

Back