Welding 101 : post your questions here and we can discuss

argon is way cheaper welds the same rare earth??? all tungsten is rare.... to weld ac alu use pure tungston carbon is thoriated and the scale on mig welds is silicon the mig wire u use is the same wire u use to tig ie er70s-6 carbon u will c silicon on both...

y would you tig w/ er70s-? just wondering...........the scale on mig welds is silicon the mig wire u use is the same wire u use to tig ie er70s-6 carbon u will c silicon on both.........correct ,,,i f'd up... what was i thinkin'?

Ok I have a question...

I had a valve drop in my 12v and it did some hammering on my cylinder head, most of the hammering would do no harm to leave. BUT there is one area where the valve doing the hammering came up and smashed the edge of the recessed area where the valve sits.

The head is cast iron obviously but what I want to know is there a way I can fill in that area where it got smashed and then not have to worry about it "falling out" or any other issues? I'll try to get a picture later...

cus its the same thing as welding w 7018 on carbon jus cleaner --- low hydrogen weld 70,000 psi tensile .... use of like er80s- is over kill ur weld will be only as strong as the base metal the base metal would fail before the weld

Someone should explain why stitch welds are better than a full pass on long material.

Also, HOW you should start and stop your weld. I saw a 20k Aluminum flatbed GN trailer and the welds....they started in the deep and went to the corners. :doh:

OK I have question, is there a suitable way to weld cast iron to mild steel?
To answer your question, yes there are a couple ways. Pre and post heating must be done on the cast iron. Get it up to at least 300F. After welding, get it back up to preheated temperature, then cool it as slow as possible.

Couple of ways to weld it, can tig it with nickel rod (crown alloys royal 11-10 is the alloy I use). Another is to use a silicon bronze rod and braze weld it with either tig or oxy. I've tig'ed over 50 stainless v band rings on cast iron turbine housings without a single faliure using the 11-10 rod.

To repair your head, I would either oxy spray weld it or use straight cast iron rod with pertersen #2 high heat flux and oxyweld it. Then of course check for straightness. If the head warped, put a .020" shim under each end with one bolt in the middle torqued to 20ft/lbs on a straightening bar. Put in in the oven for 5 hours at 500F. Then let it cool overnight. Clean up the welded area and deck it. Good as new!

I'm wondering if I made a mistake by buying a big bottle of 70/30 gas for my MIG when maybe tri-mix might have been a better choice. Are there applications where tri-mix would be a bad choice?

You want to use trimix when mig welding SS. the helium gives you a higher arc temps. You can use on plain carbon too, you will get a nice weld.

not a welding question, but.....
I have an old tank I need to cut up and haul off. Its mild steel and has had 28% nitrogen fertilizer (half urea and half ammonia nitrate dissolved in water) in it for years. There is a sludge of concentrated fertilizer on the bottom and as empty as it will drain out. And its 10' diameter, 40' long.
Will I blow my self up with a blow torch?

Possibly, you could purge it with nitrogen but will lose it all as soon as you cut into it though. It might have enough water in to keep from ingniting as long as it is vented good. Just keep a good stream of water going into it while you cut should keep it from ingniting.

Ammonia Nitrate is technically a high explosive but one of the most tame/hardest to detonate high explosives. You won't have problems with explosion using a cutting torch, you're real problem might be from burning the ammonias and putting off some poisonous gas.

not a welding question, but.....
I have an old tank I need to cut up and haul off. Its mild steel and has had 28% nitrogen fertilizer (half urea and half ammonia nitrate dissolved in water) in it for years. There is a sludge of concentrated fertilizer on the bottom and as empty as it will drain out. And its 10' diameter, 40' long.
Will I blow my self up with a blow torch?

Fill it with water and let sit for a bit Wayne, it should be able to dissolve the fertilizer enough to get most of it out, burning ammonia will not help you regain lost brain cells, quite the opposite I'm pretty sure!

Back