Welding 101 : post your questions here and we can discuss

Yeah, if funds had no bottom Blue beats.

Funny thing though.... I have tried to dang near give-away an old 440 and nobobdy wants it...donno? I guess people have mixed things up thinking old means bad or poor quality. A rock is a rock is a rock. IMHO

Yeah, if funds had no bottom Blue beats.

Funny thing though.... I have tried to dang near give-away an old 440 and nobobdy wants it...donno? I guess people have mixed things up thinking old means bad or poor quality. A rock is a rock is a rock. IMHO

Well if you want to give it away........ :D :D

Here is a not so good looking weld... It is on my truck:bang BUT.... I didn't do it and it will soon be removed... Stupid death wobble:kick:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 44
I've always wanted to know what the little brown globs are that are within the weld when using a mig wire welder? Is it the sheilding gas actually burning into the metal? Looks like someone took a brown crayon and make dots every couple inches on some of my welds.

this guy that goes by taterthrower is a very intelligant person. he can come up with some really good ideas for just about anything, his welds are perfect and look awesome when he gets done. he has welded alot of stuff for me and everything turns out very well and i really appreciate it. he makes things look like there meant to be there. if you want to know anything about welding just ask him. i think that he is underpaid at his job for how good of a welder he is.

I've always wanted to know what the little brown globs are that are within the weld when using a mig wire welder? Is it the sheilding gas actually burning into the metal? Looks like someone took a brown crayon and make dots every couple inches on some of my welds.

shielding gas yes... but its not actually consider porosity because it is lighter than the molten weld pool, these brown things usually pop off easy especially while cooling down and sometimes get on you and burn? my gas supplier at work says that's actually a less refined gas, but the "good" refined gas can be up three times the money... so we don't mind "lil brown things"

I tried something different the other day,...I used my Miller Dynasty 350 TIG to braze brass,....it worked wayyyy better than using a torch..

Can any tig welder weld aluminum?

A buddy of mine bought a lincoln unit off a contractor in need of cash. Its a pretty darn expensive unit that was hardly ever used.
We got the gas bottle hooked to it & started using the aluminum rods that we needed and just couldnt get anywhere with the aluminum. someone came and looked at our unit and said it "can't weld aluminum"

It does fine on mild steel. But with aluminum it either melts the tungsten tip to the metal or burns a hole through it.

a/c, pure tungsten... size depends on metal thickness, high freq. on continuous....that's j/ the beginning... try running stringer beads on a piece about 1/8 thick to warm up... it takes a while to get enough heat in it to weld it...once you see the puddle form you can add filler... i could go on for days but this should help you to get started.... anything else j/ post it up... i'm here to help

Can any tig welder weld aluminum?

A buddy of mine bought a lincoln unit off a contractor in need of cash. Its a pretty darn expensive unit that was hardly ever used.
We got the gas bottle hooked to it & started using the aluminum rods that we needed and just couldnt get anywhere with the aluminum. someone came and looked at our unit and said it "can't weld aluminum"

It does fine on mild steel. But with aluminum it either melts the tungsten tip to the metal or burns a hole through it.

Short answer, no.

Green tipped pure tungsten and high frequency are two absolutes with welding aluminum. Start with thicker material......trust me :bang

it all is depending on preferences, and different welding processes..

I prefer helium /argon mix,...and I use "rare earth tungsten".....much better welds.

Back