What is the difference.....

It lists it as a 93, but it's not the NGD that started in 93, it's the 466C. Not that a 466C is a bad thing at all.

Yeah, I wondered about that, but the IH sticker on the intake says "1993" on it. The pump looks like a MW to me, but I really don't know the external difference between the P and MW's.

Heath

The NGD has the intake and valve cover cast as one piece. Plus, the injector pump is a high mount, Integrated PS pump & air compressor(mounted below the inj pump), and runs a serentine belt. The older ones have the low mount inj pump, and V-belts driving all bolt on accessories.
Pump differences? Not a whole lot on the front part. The gov is just slightly different, and springs dont interchange. Besides the AFC is mounted directly on the rear of the up, not on top.
You have posession of the beast now?

Yup I sure do. It is certainly not an NGD, it is a C. Columbus diesel suggested ditching the MW for a P pump because they said it was less reliable and harder to modifiy. I was a little suprised by that, as again they look very similar. But, as a DT virgin, what do I know anyway.

Speaking of the serpentine belt system on the NGD..... can it be adapted to the C? That would help decrease the room needed infront of the engine, and I could ditch the fan and clutch so I can squeeze it under the hood a little easier.

Heath

I snapped a few photos of it this weekend....There will be more once the project really gets going........... in a few months.:D

Heath

Looks like a fun one! I'm saving up for an engine for my 67 F100. No Kornbinder though, just an oddball.
As far as my little knowledge takes me, I don't think you can swap the NGD serpentine setup to the C. You may want to contact Max from Hypermax to be sure.

Will pistons stamped with 684255C2G work on my DT466C? I've found a new set cheap, but I want to know if they are correct. IH's website is useless for looking up part numbers.

Any idea?

Heath

on the subject of these motors i have a couple of questions. first off where can you all keep finding thes motors fo so cheap? it always seems like i can only find them in the 2000 to 3000 dollar range. second how hard or easy is it to change the pumps around from the mw to th p pump? i am wanting to get into doing this so bad but havent been able to get it going because of the price but going to pull my powerstroke out and sell it to come up with some more funds. thanks

The best prices I've seen are on pulloff.com where I saw a couple DT360s for $850 each.
You can also catch em on ebay or craigslist

I'm not 100% sure, but it should be just a gear swap, and possibly an adapter for the mount.

yeah i had read somewhere on here that someone said an adapter plate and gear or you can mount the pump in the same place but it has a differnt rotation so you hav to change injector lines positions then have to do timing on the pump or something. kinda crazy i wonder if the adapter plate gets rid of all of that?

no i know that you have said the ngd motor s the best but why exactly is that besides te p pump?

Further searching, I found this:
".... .... you will have to cross lines 2 and 3 and also 4 and 5 and the pump will run fine backwards."

The NGD comes with a GT40 turbo(most of the time), roller lifters(the 466C from 89-ish & up also does), slightly higher flow head and exh manifold, and the pump is mounted up high, which makes it easier to play with, and the P-pump itself.
BUT....a 466C with an aftermarket/ reground cam, P-pump, and nice turbo will pretty much be over & above all those benefits.

That sounds great helps widen the search i have been mainly looking for a '95 model but the are few and far between and when you do find them the prices are crazy i found two pulloff may have to shoot them an e-mail. two more questions where do you get another cam or get the original reground at? second you said somewhere the you can get you injectors ramped up at diy injectors is that the same as rosewood, dzljim's place? thanks alot

Yep, you can get the original reground. Most of the ads on pulloff use Vogel. The DIY, Jim's shop is for the 466E, which is nearly identical to a Powerstroke's injector.
Look in the classifieds for injectors before you get yours done. Chances are, a used set of 5x.016-ish are gonna be pretty cheap. You can make around 600hp on stock injectors anyway, so keep that in mind with your shopping list.

what hp will the stock inj pump make? i guess roughly what all would it take to make around 800 hp?

Columbus and Schied both sell what's needed to adapt a P-style pump to the DT's that came with MW and A pumps. I was told by columbus and schied that a P-pump would be better for me to use than the MW because it was easier to modify and more reliable. Why that is........ I don't know.

You really have to be patient to get a good price on a DT. Most guys on ebay are too proud of these DT's to get a good price. But, you'll notice that the same motors are on there all the time (they are too dang high).

I'm still in a holding pattern on the project as I want to have the tranny, t-case and axles sorted out and in the shop before I start messing with the swap.

The plan is mock it all up and finish all the changes needed to get this big sucker in the truck, then build the DT, paint, and "pretty" up all the modifications before final assembly and then drive the snot out of it.

I've found Gene's Machine Shop and WipeOut Enterprises very helpful on the phone and via email. Both seem very reasonable on price and are experienced with these DT466 and DT360's.

Heath

thats awsome thats kinda hw i had planned on doing mine get all of it togather then finish the truck. what tranny you running? i think i was goin to run a spicer since a want a manual but want to make sure it will hold the power tey dont seem to be over price like som of these guys with the 466's. what did you find out from genes and wipeout?
thanks for the info on he adapters also and thanks to smokin binder i think i have talked to him on another site he is very helpfull!!

Thanks, and yes, I try to help out where I can. The 466 is my favorit-est engine ever. It's kind of a passion of mine. Hopefully some day, I'll have some sort of performance DT360/466 466E line up.

The tranny has been a big sticking point for me as well. I too want only a standard tranny. I just don't like autos. Spicer's seem to be good for stock medium duties like the DT, but their torque rating are at best 600 or so ft/lbs. That's not going to be enough. I've really be researching Eaton Fullers and the one I really want to use it their TX-14607b. It is an 7 speed overdrive tranny that has a torque rating of a little over 1400 ft/lbs. That should be plenty of tranny for a F-series truck with a heathly DT466.

Brent is now the owner of Gene's Machince Shop and this is what he said in his email to me.
Sounds like a great project! We do many of these each year for tractors, luckily, the 466 has really good stock parts. With a good pump and turbo, 1000 hp is achievable with some stock part mods.
Here is what I would recommend......
-balance rods and crank, recondition rods -cut pistons for valve reliefs -regrind cam -cut sleeve for fire rings -bowl job, springs, new hardware for cylinder head *this would be the basics with stock parts* I would run a 2 stage turbo setup on this no problem, we are actually building a DT360 now for a 1970 Ford crewcab and it will be 2 charger as well.
New stock bolts are fine for head, mains, rods, etc...
Give me a call to discuss this if you would like, we can talk about all pricing options, assembly, details,etc..
thanks for the inquiry!
Brent
I called him and he was very nice on the phone and was quite helpful.

Dave at Whipeout gave these suggestions:
No need to increase cubic inches for the horsepower you are after. Stock pistons and sleeves will work fine. I would decompress the pistons by adding valve reliefs for a larger cam. To add valve reliefs to the piston and clearance would be $90.00 each. Sleeves I would add fire rings machining for fire rings $35.00 each. I would ceramic coat the top of the pistons and Teflon coat the sides $390.00 for a set of 6. Fire Rings $48.00 for a set of 6. Printed seal head gasket cut out for fire rings $240.00. If you keep the rpm below 4000 you can probably get by with stock rods. Heat treated rods with high strength rod bolts will run you $1560.00 exchange. The shortblock you can use pistons, sleeves from a engine rebuild kit or if the ones the engine you bought are good just reuse those. I would recommend you use Clevite H bearings we have these stock in STD and .010” with or without Teflon coating.
The engine should of came with a plus 833 casting head which is good. Remove the casting flashing from the ports and radius the short turn of the base of the port. A valve spring kit will be required $580.00. Pushrods $264.00, Regrind camshaft $600.00, Shaft collars $110.00, Rocker supports $175.00, Tall Valve cover to clear higher lift cam $540.00.
He was also very nice on the phone. I'd feel comfortable with either place doing my machine work.

Both of these shops recommended Columbus diesel for the fuel and turbo set ups. That may be simplely because they are in OH and close to Columbus diesel.

Heath

Back