What is the difference.....

That sounds awsome!! i also have been referd to columbus diesel by a friend ,that i didnt even know he pulled tractors, to go there for fuel and air. this all sounds awsome and is making me even more exited!! and thanks again to smokin binder all of your insite has been awsome!!!

i have been looking at some specs on the fuller trannys and the only concern is what kind of hp are you looking for because if you are planning like me for around 800 give or take 100hp i dont think that the TX-14607 will stand up to it at the rated TQ because by what all i have herd on these motors double the hp to get the TQ. like you i am not to knowledgeable about these but my favorite way to learn is to do it but i dont want to buy a tranny that wont fill my needs if you know what i mean. the only one i saw that looked closer to the tq ratings that we would make would be the RTOC-18909A ,a 9 speed, but it looks so big and heavy i think it would be impractical. maybe one of the smaller trannys could be built stronger. idk though there is a place close to me that specializes in spicer and fuller trannys so i am going to try and contact them and pick thir brains.

Keep in mind those trannies are pulling a big load at those # they are rated at,some of the smaller610,910, 66 or 95 series will most likely hold upbut these are old and getting hard to find

So you think a smaller one would work because they are used to or made to pull a heavy load?

I think so, as stated, they are made for haul thousands of pounds more than the weight of a F-series truck with a DT466 in it.

The only way to know is to try it out I guess.

Let us know what your tranny guy says about the fullers.

Heath

Yep, bigdog has the idea. That's my vote.
RT or RTO 610, or 6610
RT or RTO 613, or 6613
for a pickup. Billet shafts would likely be needed.

WHAT would happen if you pulled a sled with it some? would it need a heavier trans?

I still think the smaller trans would hold up,Im thinking your looking at the medium duty truck stuff,stock fords and dodges hold up pretty good when you look at the abuse they get

.....where can you all keep finding thes motors fo so cheap? it always seems like i can only find them in the 2000 to 3000 dollar range.

Here you go buddy.

CLICK HERE.

DT466C with a spicer 7 speed. I can't tell for sure but it looks like it has an A-pump on it and looks complete.

Heath

I know where there's a decent 466 with a P-pump(the NGD) for cheap, but it's on the west coast. Aren't you back East somewhere?

I still think the smaller trans would hold up,Im thinking your looking at the medium duty truck stuff,stock fords and dodges hold up pretty good when you look at the abuse they get

The more I look at this stuff, the more I agree. There is a member here (Buckin Around) that has a JD466 in an '86 F250. He uses it for truck pulls. So far so good with a Stock Dodge 2500 Dana 80 and a Spicer 5 speed from a medium duty.

I have no idea what power he is making, but I know it's higher that the max spec'ed torque for the spicer.

Heath

Thanks alot heath but i think it is going to be on hold for a little bit again the weather is killing me rite now. the snow and rain is not cooperating! anyhow thanks alot though!! keep us updated on your progress in the mean time i an still going to be doing alot of research. i just cant wait to dig into this build!

Heath hows the build going? i am getting closer to starting mine i am about to start pulling the old mule powerstroke out and going to put it up on e-bay and should b getting my tax return soon so i am getting excited!! let me know whats going on. Hey smokin binder how is everything going out west there are you getting any closer to a build again?

Nothing new. I'm working on getting head gaskets, studs, turbo, and a manual tranny swap done on my '86 F350 6.9 IDI crew cab. I'm still looking for a tranny I like. Looking for a Eaton Fuller FSO-8406A or a Spicer OD 6+1. That and some heavier axles. Not sure if I want to spend the money on some DynaTrac Dana 80's or just built my own Dana 80's.

The big hold up is waiting to sell my house in Toledo. I've been trying to sell it for almost three years. Making two house payments is killing my toy budget.LOL

Heath

Yeah the play money is hard to come by out here also but i do have some income tax money coming sometime so i think i am goin to use some of it so it is looking a little closer. Holy Toledo i couldnt imagine having two house payments that would put a damper on things! now for a question what is the differnce between the ag version and the truck version? would it need studs? fire rings? just trying to put a good plan togather. thinks all!

Back