Where to learn?

If you're looking to engineer a totally new never built design...good luck! Do you really think that you can improve on the designs and experience of manufactures like Cummins, Isuzu, Deere & Caterpillar that have been building successful diesel engines for many years? With all the millions and billions of dollars spent, even they have poorly designed engine models make it through engineering to hit the market.

I can...

Last edited:
C'mon guys, please be serious. I didnt join this forum to get flamed. I joined it to learn, you have to start somewhere, JUST LIKE YOU DID. I dont appreciate being insulted and made fun of because I am learning. I know a guy in Diesel Power a few years ago built a V12 Diesel essentially out if his garage. Thanks, Bradley

You may not have joined to get flamed, and we are still being nice.

If you want to see what it's like when we get worked up, keep posting stupid stuff and you'll find out.

Do you have any engineering experience? Have you ever built an engine from an existing platform? Did you improve it? Or do you just start stupid threads?

You may not have joined to get flamed, and we are still being nice.

If you want to see what it's like when we get worked up, keep posting stupid stuff and you'll find out.

Do you have any engineering experience? Have you ever built an engine from an existing platform? Did you improve it? Or do you just start stupid threads?

How are any of my threads stupid? I am new and want to learn, so I ask questions, just like you do. You asked about netbooks, you are new and want to learn.

I dont have any engineering experience, no I have not built an engine.

The only stupid question is the one not asked.

Sometimes I wonder who said that.

While I do agree with this theory in principle, I do not believe it is an excuse for stupid questions.

Exactly. So where did I ask a stupid question? Please tell me, so I can retract it if it actually is stupid.

if you wanted to learn how to play tennis, where would you go?

if you wanted to learn how to play the piano, where would you go?

if you wanted to learn about engines, where would you go?
most anyone with a shop would be more than willing to hand you a broom to get you in the door, gotta prove your worth and want then you will slowly get worked into the mix

i learn more in 15 minutes talking with my engine builder than it would take me 1/2 year to read.

nobody is going to hold your hand and say come with me, i will show you everything.....unless they want your money - remember that

Exactly. So where did I ask a stupid question? Please tell me, so I can retract it if it actually is stupid.

Glad to help.
Lets start. Your question in this thread may not be technically "stupid". Just.... far reaching.

Far reaching. For example: My three year old nephew may ask "Why is the sky blue"? Not a stupid question, but he would never understand the correct answer. My answer. "It's not always blue dumbass".

You will need to have a extremely firm grasp on the dynamics of internal combustion engines before you can build one from a blank sheet. Most here will agree with my in the assumption that you don't. To be completely honest, most of the members here don't either.
The ones that do may argue that there is not a good reason to start over, so lets just play with the junk they give us.

As far as all of your other posts elsewhere, I didn't read them.

Rule number one for the boy or girl who wants to learn things.
1. Read more, post less.

Last edited:
How are any of my threads stupid? I am new and want to learn, so I ask questions, just like you do. You asked about netbooks, you are new and want to learn.

I dont have any engineering experience, no I have not built an engine.

The only stupid question is the one not asked.
Are you seriously comparing me asking my buddies about their experiences with a consumer product to you asking how to build a crate engine, I mean create an engine?

There are a few people on here who I don't doubt have the knowledge to design a new platform. Having that is the first step, having the resources is another HUGE hurdle.

Back to you, you have to crawl before you can walk, and you are talking about running a super marathon. Baby steps. Read, learn, get to understand the theory that makes an internal combustion engine work. Master the basics and move on from there.

As for no stupid questions, that may be true. There are however stupid people that ask questions.

If you're looking to engineer a totally new never built design...good luck! Do you really think that you can improve on the designs and experience of manufactures like Cummins, Isuzu, Deere & Caterpillar that have been building successful diesel engines for many years? With all the millions and billions of dollars spent, even they have poorly designed engine models make it through engineering to hit the market.

Actually, YES.

People do it all the time. Who do you think WORKS for cummins, isuzu and deere? Human beings that are engineers!

Most the people at cummins etc REFINE existing idea's not come up with completely new ones. Its an evolutionary process.

Most engineers in the auto world dont focus on blocks per say, the magic is in the crankshaft, cylinderhead and induction package.
Your real bad asses build "dual plane" cranks and things like that for standard blocks so you can take stock junk and make it into "race car" quality items. If you think OEM design cant be improved upon. well you are just an idiot then.

If you want to design and build your own engine you will need the engineering knowledge and the practical application skills to bring to life what you envision.

Most engine designers dont have any real world mechanical skill. Everything they do is theory and on paper.

Then this design is given to the men in the trenches, the guys that can make the castings, plugs whatever.

I would say by far in todays world the easiest route would be to pursue engineering school, and CAD/Machining classes.

If you can draw in solidworks and run a CNC machine you can design and build anything and everything you damn well please.

Castings adn extrusions are just ways to keep manufacturing cost down, but a one off billet block would honestly probably be cheaper than creating a mold for one and casting only a single unit.

Pursue your passions, tell everyone else to shut the **** up.

When i went to harley school as a kid we had a dyno day. Some guy showed up with a Knucklehead he had completely made himself by doing his own sand casting in his garage. Laid down 100hp to the rear wheel. Anyone that knows harleys will say thats impossible on a knucklehead. Which it is...he grafted evo valve geometry into a knuckle casting. Why? i dunno..but it was cool as ****!!!

This world is driven by PEOPLE who do not accept what is commonly available as "good enough"

if no one could do better than what has already been done, we would at best all be driving model A's

Last edited:
Yes. Now it's about how sometimes dreams get shattered. I feel bad.

No you don't Snedge!! LOL. But let us digress back to the OP...

Bradley, May I ask your current age and level of general automotive knowledge??

Back