Where to learn?

Thank you to all that were helpful and not drunk, high, or utterly immature. Must be spring break at the Alpha Delta Phi house at Dartmouth.

Also, I just picked up "Principles of Turbomachinery" at the library. Almost done with the first section, damn good book. D.G. Shepherd is a genius.

I'm not drunk or high, and you being a complete moron has nothing to do with my immaturity!

Good luck building your engine....reading a book does not make you an engine designer;)

Chris

What are you trying to design? What's it's purpose? what is it going in?

I'd like to design a 4-8 cylinder diesel for 1/2-3/4t pickups and SUV's, considering the US doesn't have any, and wont for at least 5 years. I was thinking about maybe starting by build a 2 stroke to see if I could build it to last a long time and take my abuse. If it doesn't work, take it apart, find what's stressed/warped/cracked and fix it and try again. Then after the 2 stroke is perfected, an indirect injection or multi-fuel or even a common rail.

Honestly dude, I was hoping you would say 14 or something so we could all change our tune and begin guiding you in an appropriate direction. Maybe you could have been the Zora Arkus Duntov of the diesel world. Hell, even if you said 24, we could still help, though you'd be behind the curve. My guess is you are an idiot! Regardless of your actual age...your brain age is retarded.

Please go play in traffic now.

Basically you just said, you'll help a young person but you won't help anyone older than 24ish. In that case, I am 18 and in my first semester at college.

Really? IDI? You don't think there is a reason that technology has been abandoned?

Isn't it immature of you to come into our house and expect us to act the way you want us to?

There are existing diesel engines that would work for what you want. Maybe auto makers aren't flocking to them because they don't see a market...

There are companies still designing IDI engines that last forever and make good power.

It isn't immature to come into someones house and expect to be treated nicely.

Tell Detroit and Cummins and Scania and Paccar that last sentence. I'm sure they would appreciate it very much, eh?

I'd like to design a 4-8 cylinder diesel for 1/2-3/4t pickups and SUV's, considering the US doesn't have any, and wont for at least 5 years. I was thinking about maybe starting by build a 2 stroke to see if I could build it to last a long time and take my abuse. If it doesn't work, take it apart, find what's stressed/warped/cracked and fix it and try again. Then after the 2 stroke is perfected, an indirect injection or multi-fuel or even a common rail.

You said enough! Get your war paint and a good helmet then go show me a tier-4 compliant 2stroke engine...better take your box of crayons along for a snack because you'll be hungry before you make it back. LOL

Last edited:

MBenz Blue-tech. Look it up. Just no market in the States.

Chombo on the first year of college, and another chombo for having a gear brain at least. The more you learn, the more you will understand that a lot of your aforementioned research has been done.
You need to pursuer and engineering degree, and maybe concentrate on thermal dynamics. It's your first year so there are things you need to get out of the way before you can hit those classes anyway. For now you need math.Lots of math. The hard kind with letters instead of numbers.
Are you good at math.

Basically you just said, you'll help a young person but you won't help anyone older than 24ish. In that case, I am 18 and in my first semester at college.

That is NOT what I said. But at least you have proven your comprehension ability is on par with your engineering abilities.

BINGO Thermal Dynamics is going to be your main focus, how well you can use the heat resource provided. That's been something the autoworld has been trying to up the % up on for a long time.

First off, a big thank you to OrangeNV for the Google link. I've been so busy lately that it completely slipped my mind to Google it!

Because of that link I looked at schools with internal combustion design classes, and looked at the prereq's for said class. Thermodynamics was among the list, the others I was already planning on taking.

You said enough! Get your war paint and a good helmet then go show me a tier-4 compliant 2stroke engine...better take your box of crayons along for a snack because you'll be hungry before you make it back. LOL

One reason I want to do it, I miss the sounds of 2-strokes. So I want to make one that is emission compliant, but without the filters and all that malarkey. (Yes, I know I am talking about doing the impossible. But; many said impossible things are probable.)

There are other markets besides 1/2 and 3/4 ton pickups tard.

I said I would start there. I didn't say I would ONLY try that market, c'mon read.

MBenz Blue-tech. Look it up. Just no market in the States.

Chombo on the first year of college, and another chombo for having a gear brain at least. The more you learn, the more you will understand that a lot of your aforementioned research has been done.
You need to pursuer and engineering degree, and maybe concentrate on thermal dynamics. It's your first year so there are things you need to get out of the way before you can hit those classes anyway. For now you need math.Lots of math. The hard kind with letters instead of numbers.
Are you good at math.

I just answered part of that in this very post. Also, I remember when Bluetec came on the scene, having said that, they dont really count as US market, because they are a German company, and high end, so the middle class cant buy them, whereas the middle class buys plenty of pickups and SUV's.

That is NOT what I said. But at least you have proven your comprehension ability is on par with your engineering abilities.

I said "basically." I was summarizing what you said to suit my purpose.

BINGO Thermal Dynamics is going to be your main focus, how well you can use the heat resource provided. That's been something the autoworld has been trying to up the % up on for a long time.

Exactly what I was just thinking.

One reason I want to do it, I miss the sounds of 2-strokes. So I want to make one that is emission compliant, but without the filters and all that malarkey. (Yes, I know I am talking about doing the impossible. But; many said impossible things are probable.)
Good luck. You are gonna need WAY more than luck to meet your goal, but it is all I can offer...
I just answered part of that in this very post. Also, I remember when Bluetec came on the scene, having said that, they dont really count as US market, because they are a German company, and high end, so the middle class cant buy them, whereas the middle class buys plenty of pickups and SUV's.
Have you priced a new diesel truck lately? Have you priced a Mercedes lately? Have you noticed the tailgate of a newer Cummins Ram lately?

Bosch is a German company. Izuzu is Japanese (I think, not based here...) So do those engines not count?

I would look at the cummins 4bt's(4cyl), the diesels in the new mercedes & BMW that are making killer power, and Jeep has some decent diesels that I think they stopped using but I'm not for certain.

Hell look at some gas motor setups, you'll be changing compression, fuel, metal structure, but the technology is still there. Figuring out from scratch what the firing order and what cylinders will be twins would be cool I think.

Good luck. You are gonna need WAY more than luck to meet your goal, but it is all I can offer...

Have you priced a new diesel truck lately? Have you priced a Mercedes lately? Have you noticed the tailgate of a newer Cummins Ram lately?

Bosch is a German company. Izuzu is Japanese (I think, not based here...) So do those engines not count?

I was talking about the manufacturer of the vehicle, not the engine. And still, no 1/2 ton or SUV diesels. Just the Benz and the VW(if it is still available in TDI).

I would look at the cummins 4bt's(4cyl), the diesels in the new mercedes & BMW that are making killer power, and Jeep has some decent diesels that I think they stopped using but I'm not for certain.

Hell look at some gas motor setups, you'll be changing compression, fuel, metal structure, but the technology is still there. Figuring out from scratch what the firing order and what cylinders will be twins would be cool I think.

The Jeep diesel is actually a VM Motori engine from Italy, I had originally thought it was a Benz unit because of the Dodge Sprinter van with the Benz diesel in it. The Jeep diesels as far as I know are still being built and sold.

I personally love the 4b's(3.3 and 3.9), no "t" unless it's a turbo, just like Detroit Diesel used to do, IE 6V53T. I have been thinking about which engines to look at closely, I'm watching the Ford Ecoboost engines, simply because of the technology used, especially in the "Economy" version(extra valve per cylinder I heard). I have not confirmed this report as of yet.

I was talking about the manufacturer of the vehicle, not the engine. And still, no 1/2 ton or SUV diesels. Just the Benz and the VW(if it is still available in TDI).

The Jeep diesel is actually a VM Motori engine from Italy, I had originally thought it was a Benz unit because of the Dodge Sprinter van with the Benz diesel in it. The Jeep diesels as far as I know are still being built and sold.
I was wondering if they still made those... Test drove one with my sister a little while back. Gutless wonder. I might have driven it if it was free, and they paid for the fuel.

So, exactly WHY would you want to design a new engine??

I have a half ton 4x4 truck. It made 496hp on the wheels, and burns any type of flammable liquid dumped into the tank, and easily gets 25mpg on the open road.
I really don't see room for improvements there.

4bt always has a "t" u wanna know why? Because not one mother fuggin one of us is gonna drive a non turbo/supercharged diesel. LOL

You really want to do some good? Design a cylinder head for whatever diesel you decide and make sure it flows very well, 5 valves a cylinder is something to look at, 3 intake 2 exhaust you get the idea.

I personally love the 4b's(3.3 and 3.9E), no "t" unless it's a turbo, just like Detroit Diesel used to do, IE 6V53T. I heave been thinking about which engines to look at closely, I'm watching the Ford Ecoboost engines, simply because of the technology used, especially in the "Economy" version(extra valve per cylinder I heard). I have not confirmed this report as of yet.

@displacedtexan - Again, forgot about it, but as you said, gutless wonder.

@Cumminsfever - Everything can always be made better. 120 years ago people thought you couldn't do better than a horse...

@TMONEYDIESEL - I drive an N/A diesel, my second one. I love it. Better mileage and power than a gas 350. Hundreds of thousand of people drive N/A diesel on a regular basis. Many use them to tow/haul and make a living, including myself. 5 valves, phew! I can see it now. 4 Cylinder 20 Valve Turbo Diesel Seems like everyone keeps adding turbos, valves, whatever they can. lol

@displacedtexan - Again, forgot about it, but as you said, gutless wonder.

@Cumminsfever - Everything can always be made better. 120 years ago people thought you couldn't do better than a horse...

@TMONEYDIESEL - I drive an N/A diesel, my second one. I love it. Better mileage and power than a gas 350. Hundreds of thousand of people drive N/A diesel on a regular basis. Many use them to tow/haul and make a living, including myself. 5 valves, phew! I can see it now. 4 Cylinder 20 Valve Turbo Diesel Seems like everyone keeps adding turbos, valves, whatever they can. lol

So you're going to try to build a 2 stroke, non turbo, tier 4 compliant engine with NO particulate filter and all that "malarkey?"

AND, you don't think we're being nice??

WOW....I'll bet your professors are just gonna love you!
Chris

Back