Willys Tow Rig

Would you be better to launch in 1st on the shifter? Something about not launching off the sprag(i believe I heard lavon say once)

Manual first will apply the low/reverse band to hold the drum instead of just the sprag holding it

Would you have time by chance to come finish some of the projects I've had going for several years?

:hehe:

So engine is apart right now. Trying to figure out what the MUST DO'S are. I honestly don't think I'm going to bother doing any porting to the head. I am regrinding and back cutting the valves. O ringed the head. Replaced all gaskets. Honed the block. New rings and bearing, ect.

What about freeze plugs? I haven't had issues with mine yet. I don't plan on running past 3800rpms or 100psi of boost. I thought about JB Welding them in like what Will did on the Junker Drag Truck... I see they also make coolant bypass kits to relieve rear cylinder coolant pressure. I could easily put one of these together, the problem is I don't believe I have enough room between the "doghouse" and rear of the block. You guys ever seen these installed in another location?

I guess I could pretty easily ream out the freeze plug bores in the head and tap them for plugs. Maybe do this and JB Weld the side, front, and back freeze plugs?

Clip the fins on the water pump, I've done it on daily driver trucks that turn them hard with no problems. Drops the pressure down and no heating issues towing medium to light.

Some people put the bypass in the head where the stock temp sensor would go

That's a good idea! I have room on that side of the doghouse. Only issue would be keeping it looking decent with all the other clutter that is over there. Sounds like it is the winning ticket though. Wonder where I could relocate the temp sender.

Clip the fins on the water pump, I've done it on daily driver trucks that turn them hard with no problems. Drops the pressure down and no heating issues towing medium to light.

What if I wanted to tow a 32' gooseneck with a buggy on it and living quarters on the front? See any problems on mountain passes?

You think that little willy's will haul all that? Thought it was going to be a hot rod being it ran 12's.

Daily driver and tow rig are the priorities. I just haven't started building my buggy yet. So haven't needed to haul anything and why not play at the track occasionally? I don't think there isn't any reason I couldn't see high 11s on a daily driver tow rig. No?

Last edited:
I really like your truck man and just hate to see it held back with a priority on rowing. That thing mid 11's on street tires is bad ase.

I understand. Lol. It definitely is more practical as a hot rod; as practical as a hot rod is anyways!! Haha. Honestly the more and more I drive it, I'm realizing that it's not going to be the best tow rig. Only 2 people can fit in it. I have little brothers that like to go up camping with us. Even once I get the inside all sound deadened, it will never be completely quite and comfortable for long trips to like Moab, ect. I do think it would look bad a$$ to show up at the Wheelin meet towing a big goose neck. People would be like "What the heck!?"

This all started because I couldn't afford the nice crew cab I would want to buy. Probably in a couple years the Willys will become a dedicated show truck and hot rod.

Last edited:
Back