Willys Tow Rig

What is that machine you've got there for back cutting? And what was your technique? We've got a couple lathes at work that I am comfortable with and might need to do some back cutting next time the head's off.

Also, that intake port looks awesome! Now to smooth it out!

It's an actual old school valve grinder. Boss picked it up at an auction a few years back. Been sitting in a corner forever.

Ready to reassemble the head and stupid me didn't realize that the valve guide bosses had to be machined in order to fit the top hat halve seals that came with my overhaul kit.

I didn't want to wait to ship one from Summit, so I made myself a cutter real quick.

image_zpso4hkt1wi.jpeg

Last edited:
The rear billet freeze plug is usually made to utilize the bolt holes on the back of the head, which leaves the center of the plug free for a port to run a coolant bypass. I'm assuming you wouldn't have much clearance for that though

Correct. Not enough room back there. I plan on running a bypass from the temp sensor port on the driver side.

Truck is back together, drove it home tonight. It freakin feels GOOD! 10psi seems to build a good 200rpms sooner and it climbs from there even faster than before. My original stock lift pump must have definitely been worn out. I put in a genuine Cummins replacement with a comp cam spring, I didn't change any of my AFC settings and I'm putting out a decent amount more smoke. Gonna need to tune it back.

I do have quite a bit of blowby. Even more than before. But I guess that could be expected until the rings seat?

I got a pretty bad oil leak from the bottom of my stock tappet cover after my first pull. I had let the truck run and idle and get up to temp before hooking everything up to make sure there were no leaks... so I don't know if the oil just hadn't been primed enough and hadn't started pooling around the lifters in order to leak out the side, or if the blowby pushed out the seal? I can see exactly where the seal isn't sandwhiched under the cover, I thought I was careful about making sure the seal was seated but maybe I missed it? I have capped off and welded the crank case vent in the tappet cover. I had the oil fill cap on and tight. I have a 1/2" copper line from 4th valve cover that runs down to the exhaust to form a Venturi type setup. Is it possible I just built up too much pressure and if pushed it out?

Other strange occurrence is my transmission was starting in 2nd from a stop since about half way home. Recent changes to the transmission include V8 governor weights and springs, upgraded Billet governor valve, raised line pressure, lowered Throttle cable stop. I think I might be 1-1/2 quarts low on fluid, but I don't think that would cause it.

Last edited:
I'd run some high zinc oil. filter change at 200 miles, oil change at 500, and call her good. I bet blowby goes down quite a bit.

Opinions on Delo 15-40? I bought some Rotella T6 15-40 but I read that it is too slick to seat the rings during break in.

I ran delo in my truck once, it came out everywhere. I use rotella or valvoline. my buddy was running delo in his 96, and it ran out of oil at a stoplight. not sure what the deal is but it didn't like our motors.

I had a customer say the same about Rotella, said it was too thin.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well. Updates are kinda on hold. Fixed my oil leak. Just needed to pay more attention to seating that seal around the tappet cover I guess. When I have time I will machine a billet one.

Had it all back together. Checked all fluid. Everything was great. Cruising down the freeway at 65 and then I start hearing some clicking. 10 seconds later it felt like the trans locked up, bogged the engine, then broke free. I coasted to a stop and shut off the engine. Got out and all the transmission fluid started dumping out of the overdrive unit. My freakin overdrive cracked right in half! Not length wise, but radial.

My only idea so far is that it was from my air bags being a little too low. I have a leak in the back and it must have been bottoming out. My driveline is just barely too long when the suspension is fully compressed.

Got my transmission all back together Friday. Drove it Friday night and for like 20 minutes Saturday. Drove it 15 miles to work today. Decided to do a little pressure testing today after work (about 170 psi in overdrive locked) when I noticed oil on my rear window. FREAKIN OVERDRIVE BUSTED AGAIN! This time at the front flange instead of in the middle. I was doing about 70mph. Had air in the air bags though they were a little low. Is my transmission mount causing the issue? I know the t case hangs a ways back.... Should I build a second crossmember for the back of the t case?...

Quick reminder of what the transmission mount looks like. Flanged rubber bushings (like leaf spring bushings but smaller) on each side.

IMG_6025_zps77l71pqh.jpg

I believe I have found my issue. When I chucked up the driveline in the lathe to shorten it 3/4", the thing started running out like crazy. It had almost 1/8" of side to side slop in the ujoint at the case and I somehow hadn't noticed it. What it looks like happened was someone changed this ujoint at some point and didn't clean out the snap ring groove and the snap ring was never actually locked in place. It was literally almost flush with the outside of the yoke and the cap had worked its way out a little. I'm going to buy 2 new u joints just to be safe, shorten the driveline 3/4", and put it all back together. Hopefully no more problems.

Very nice work on this truck! You have came a long ways with it. I'm jealous of all the cool tools you have too! Keep up the great work on it! Also, I like your approach at making tools too. That valve seal pocket cutter could probably be sold. I get pissed every time I get a cummins head gasket kit for a 12v due to this. Haha

Last edited:
Transmission is back in a working great! Did a little testing and with the new ujoints and shortened/rebalanced driveline, no more vibration. Actually, I found out the other day when my brother thought he could out-run me in his STI that 120mph feels even smoother than 60mph before! lol

The bad news, on our way up to get a Christmas tree the head gasket let go at about 50-60psi of boost. Oil all down the passenger side. Sad to say that I had to break down and order a set of ARPs; I guess the good news is that I ordered them on Cyber Monday and was even able to use XDP's 10% off on them. So I got a new set or only 392 bucks!

Ok.... SO. I believe I have found the problem! Freakin 2-5 all blown out between the cylinder and oil port.

223BB919-851B-435D-9731-C70F175F44FD_zpseuypiie8.jpg

B592E74A-E5C7-4CFA-A2DD-05D8D792ADC1_zps2etm7baz.jpg

9EA6C616-72F0-4069-BF4D-5BE13E38EA90_zpsmzn9db1n.jpg

ECA5C6BF-F682-4A0D-9A1B-CDDBB05BDE5F_zpskv0leir9.jpg

88328CD6-77B2-468E-B905-3B93E1B8A36B_zpsovfyjnpl.jpg

F8ED1D31-7975-4C6F-8FF1-D85E3FA366A1_zpsffixzobf.jpg

Back