your set up plus dyno numbers 12 valve only.

The mack plug gives you another ?2?mm of travel, while the plate limits max rack travel, so the mack plug is pointless if you're limiting travel elsewhere. I say take the plate out and sell it on cummins forum for an ungodly amount of money. Unless you are super heavily over fueled and actually need to limit your WOT fuel. Thats my perspective though LOL

Well, I appreciate the info, I think I have plenty of air so I'll give it a whirl on pulling the plate. I will say this, when I had my pump worked on, I was sitting on a worn out engine and hx35. Not making excuses though, I never once thought about how both can contradict each other. Or at least the plate...lol
I will Dyno again 5th of Oct . Texas Mobile Dyno, was told it was a Dyno jet.

Why would you go that high? Don't you start spraying out of the bowl around 24?
Just asking, not hating...lmao

I think 19* is out of the bowl, but the higher timing still raises the powerband and lets you use more rpm.

I pulled the head off of my DD couple yrs ago. And @ 24* on 145* injectors it was just starting to spray out of bowl. My reason for going that high is for a "higher" dyno number and alsp for a truck going down the race track. You are using the higher rpm band more "efficiently" IMO. For instance same truck. Timing was 19* went to 28* and the truck gained 40 based on trap speeds. Which the truck had plenty of fuel and on the dyno it may have showed a bigger improvement. Spool may have suffered slightly but turbo selection was sized on the small side. He351. With more air I believe it would have shown even more of an increase.

When it comes to more fuel, I realize injectors will get you there quicker, but do 024's actually do that much? Been told full cuts will smoke like a train since it is a dd. My compound set up should be good for up to 750, w correct fueling. Not trying to go that high. Just more curiosity on others opinions and why.

180 pump
18* timing
181 delivery valves,
4k springs,
stock turbo,
Ii dragon flows-5x.018 or 5.016's not sure exactly what size they would I bought them second hand.
mack rack plug,
0 plate full forward,
afc housing full forward
star wheel full forward.
453/1053 uncorrected.
also this was with the turbo at 45psi of boost.
I plan to replicate this setup again and see if I can do better with a tighter afc.

[ame]http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c169/ryan818/dynooutsideview.mp4[/ame]

Last edited:
^pull that plate since its not doing anything. And your fuel is a bit much for that hx35. You need more air bigtime...

180 pump
18* timing
181 delivery valves,
4k springs,
stock turbo,
Ii dragon flows-5x.018 or 5.016's not sure exactly what size they would I bought them second hand.
mack rack plug,
0 plate full forward,
afc housing full forward
star wheel full forward.
453/1053 uncorrected.
also this was with the turbo at 45psi of boost.
I plan to replicate this setup again and see if I can do better with a tighter afc.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c169/ryan818/dynooutsideview.mp4

Whoa what were your egts?!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

When it comes to more fuel, I realize injectors will get you there quicker, but do 024's actually do that much? Been told full cuts will smoke like a train since it is a dd. My compound set up should be good for up to 750, w correct fueling. Not trying to go that high. Just more curiosity on others opinions and why.

A lot more than you'd think. I like my .024s over the 191s I ran. The 191s made more power, but fueled alittle hard for driving on the street for my liking. The .024s tended to spool alot better and have a more crisp response. Before and after the pump being benched I still liked the .024s. I ran a set of full cuts for about a day and a half and took them out. WAAAYY to much fuel, and ran terribly for a street truck.

A lot more than you'd think. I like my .024s over the 191s I ran. The 191s made more power, but fueled alittle hard for driving on the street for my liking. The .024s tended to spool alot better and have a more crisp response. Before and after the pump being benched I still liked the .024s. I ran a set of full cuts for about a day and a half and took them out. WAAAYY to much fuel, and ran terribly for a street truck.

When u speak about crisp trottle response, what would u compare it to?

Trucks reaction to throttle input. Spool, Heat, and smoothness of RPM increase. It wasn't an all at once fuel curve. Full Cuts have their purpose don't get me wrong, same with 191s. I'm just saying the .024's tended to have better characteristics of constant change in throttle input, where the Full Cuts seemed to like full rack travel only. And the 191's weren't bad, but not as responsive to light throttle street driving.

Hoping that answered your question on what Id compare it to?

Thanks, I appreciate it. So many factors go into tuning a 12v, especially w compounds.

^pull that plate since its not doing anything. And your fuel is a bit much for that hx35. You need more air bigtime...

yah I knew it was way over fueled, didn't care at the time. I had enough fuel for 600hp if not more. I actually redynoed it with .022 delivery valves and a turbo from pius at bell turbo that was similar in size to an Aurora 5000 but it had billet wheels and shaft and it didn't do so hot on the dyno, but on the street it was an animal when it lit. I ended putting down 461/1363 uncorrected on the mass diesel mobil dyno. I also did this in 2009 I think.

Whoa what were your egts?!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

honestly my egt gauge only went to 1500 degrees but I can assure you it was pegged by 50mph and I stayed in it to about 100-110 each dyno pull, never blew the stock headgasket or melted anything but i can imagine egt's reached well over 2000* for a brief moment on the dyno.

Got some new numbers on Saturday.

Went to the dyno at alligator's event in Idaho. It was Dmitri's dyno from custom auto. And they said it was running a .8 correction factor.

Anyway. To the numbers. First run, 4th gear no w/m= 485hp, second run in 4th with w/m=498hp, third run in 5th gear with w/m=537hp.

The dyno seemed to be pretty accurate compared to the other trucks that ran that already knew what they should make. And it looks i gained about 25hp from my previous run (from adding injectors) and since the last dyno my egts are actually in control. I can't hardly break 1300 if I'm in it a long time. I turned it up a little for the dyno (plates about a 1/4" back for my street tune) and i put it about 1/8" from ff for the dyno. And gave her a touch more pre boost (to put on a good show lol) normally it cleans most the fuel up to a thick haze. On the dyno it cleared a little. But still really thick smoke on top end. And i saw 40psi on the dyno (compared to the 45psi i see on the street) Anyway, here's the mods

4510 nano/Scotty mod, 5in exhaust, 10 plate,afc mods,valair single,23*,Haisley 5k gsk-60pounders,.10 over gasket, tork tek ofv,4x.014 155° marine injectors,.025 dvs,he351vgt, missing grid heater, head bolts at 135#s

Sent from the Chodster

Last edited:
^^^^ Cody that's pretty awesome man, you're gonna need a better clutch soon. What was your torque numbers if I might be so nosy? And I thought you were running the 7 holes first, then trying the 4s?

Thanks Jon. The clutch is still holding good lol. Valair now rates that clutch at 500hp. And i know they are underrated, so I'm not to worried for now. A dual disk is in the future though! They didn't have torque readings unfortunately. But I'm guessing it would probably be similar to my previous dyno at 1259ftlbs. And i did run the 7 holes. They actually ran really really good. But i only ran then while the 4 hole nozzles were built on my bodies. And my buddy now had the 7 holes ( the one with the cw) and he's loving them to lol.

Edit: and technically i think i gained about 40hp from just the injectors. And they lowered egts also! Lol

Sent from the Chodster

Last edited:
Cool kinda makes me want to put some more fuel to mine and see how it does. I should probably fix my oil in coolant problem first though lol.:doh:

Got some new numbers on Saturday.

Went to the dyno at alligator's event in Idaho. It was Dmitri's dyno from custom auto. And they said it was running a .8 correction factor.

Anyway. To the numbers. First run, 4th gear no w/m= 485hp, second run in 4th with w/m=498hp, third run in 5th gear with w/m=537hp.

The dyno seemed to be pretty accurate compared to the other trucks that ran that already knew what they should make. And it looks i gained about 25hp from my previous run (from adding injectors) and since the last dyno my egts are actually in control. I can't hardly break 1300 if I'm in it a long time. I turned it up a little for the dyno (plates about a 1/4" back for my street tune) and i put it about 1/8" from ff for the dyno. And gave her a touch more pre boost (to put on a good show lol) normally it cleans most the fuel up to a thick haze. On the dyno it cleared a little. But still really thick smoke on top end. And i saw 40psi on the dyno (compared to the 45psi i see on the street) Anyway, here's the mods

4510 nano/Scotty mod, 5in exhaust, 10 plate,afc mods,valair single,23*,Haisley 5k gsk-60pounders,.10 over gasket, tork tek ofv,4x.014 155° marine injectors,.025 dvs,he351vgt, missing grid heater, head bolts at 135#s

Sent from the Chodster

Very impressive!! When you say pre-boost, you messing w star wheel? What is the limit on the vgt

Back