Attention NADM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I don't have a solution to this problem, but all I know is I have a ton of money invested in building a truck to run in this class and I have no and let me repeat, No interest in racing 1/8 mile. As a fan just watching this event I was pissed when we didn't get the 1/4 times. It appeared the guys racing weren't very aware either because almost all of them ran the full 1/4 mile. Thanks again to NADM for putting on a great first event under somewhat difficult conditions. Other than the 1/8 mile for the trucks I really drove almost 2,000 miles round trip to watch it was great.:rockwoot:

I'm glad I truck pull. I feel your pain. I hate it when a pulling track turns into a 400 to 450 ft pulling track.

MikeL,

I am sure NADM can elaborate more on this than I can. I do however reccommend installing a cage that will certify alot faster than you plan on running the truck. Luckily we have not had to test out anyones cage but these trucks are heavier than the normal car so the added protection of a faster certified caged can only be a good idea.

BTW you should have heard those BOMBS!!!!

Dennis

Dennis
You are too old for that sh-t. :blahblah1: LOL Tim gave me the whole story. Be real carefull my friend. That's right , more :blahblah1::D

I'm glad I truck pull. I feel your pain. I hate it when a pulling track turns into a 400 to 450 ft pulling track.

The best pull I've ever competed in had a track that was 150'...and at 155 there was a very large dirt pile.

1/8 mile only for 4X4's that BULL ****. I wont go to any race that is structured like that. I think most of the guy's building race trucks these days have 4X4's. This is going to ruin it for most of the diesel community!

the only time I thought running 1/8 mile was a good idea is when I had a 10000# trailer behind me at the DPC

the only time I thought running 1/8 mile was a good idea is when I had a 10000# trailer behind me at the DPC

Mike, what these guys think a "street truck" is, could not pull that trailer even 330'. It would tear their "trucks" in half.

:D

That was fun. I did a 4wd burnout for about 100'. :evil

I think right now the only people to "blame" is the NHRA. As long as we're running on their tracks we have to follow their rules right ?
I would guess the diesel sanctioning bodies are working towards a solution...but I'm thinking their hands are kinda tied right now.
We've been getting away with the crank height rules on some trucks too for a while...I wouldn't be surprised to see that get cracked down on in the near future either.
Some of these guys running 12's or better on 37's are either gonna have to make some changes or just not race...and there's gonna be nothing we can do about it IMHO.
I guess my thoughts are like this...we're doing some stuff with these trucks that's never been done before...there are gonna be some growing pains everyone has to work through....but it will get done sooner or later. If that means potential 9 second 4wd's having to run 1/8 for a while then that's just the way it'll have to be.

I think right now the only people to "blame" is the NHRA. As long as we're running on their tracks we have to follow their rules right ?
I would guess the diesel sanctioning bodies are working towards a solution...but I'm thinking their hands are kinda tied right now.
We've been getting away with the crank height rules on some trucks too for a while...I wouldn't be surprised to see that get cracked down on in the near future either.
Some of these guys running 12's or better on 37's are either gonna have to make some changes or just not race...and there's gonna be nothing we can do about it IMHO.
I guess my thoughts are like this...we're doing some stuff with these trucks that's never been done before...there are gonna be some growing pains everyone has to work through....but it will get done sooner or later. If that means potential 9 second 4wd's having to run 1/8 for a while then that's just the way it'll have to be.

Good points Rico. NHRA is in a bit of a tight spot. I am surprised as well that we have gotten away with what we have gotten away with for this long without much crap. I just hope nobody goes out and supplies crash data in a race. The one vid I have seen of a diesel (2wd dually) knocking through the concrete barrier would make your hair stand on end. I realy dont want to see any of my friends get hurt. And I can tell you that with only an 11.50 rollbar at 130+ is no where near what would be needed to keep someone remotely safe.

If it was the NHRA, then all 4 classes would have to be notified, since the 4x4 "rule" applies to all vehicles, not just "race only" trophy trucks.

If my info is correct, the quickest 4x4 pass at Famoso ever was Casper at 10.95 last year. And it still stands. Quickest "diesel-only" also IIRC.

My #1 complaint is not that it 1/8th mile, but that the 1/8th mile rule was unpublished, and only one racer was told if I understand correctly.

But yes, my truck won't ever run 9's, since it would hard to be a daily driver with 9 second equipment. It's already a PITA with 10 second stuff.

So I have zero interest in running half track, and won't attend any events at 1/4mi tracks that are cut in half to please someone in Maine who the rule has NO effect on.

Tim:

If I remove the transfer case, does the truck suddently get safer?

How many folk do you know who have been impaled by front half-shaft?

:D

Lastly,

The EASY way to restrict speeds is the old-fashioned way, restrict engine output.

No need to trail blaze. This has been the way for half a century.

Not that much safer, but the likelihood of it climbing the wall would definitely be reduced. I don't know of anyone who has been impaled by the front half-shaft, but if it could be an area of concern, then it should probably be addressed.

But yes, my truck won't ever run 9's, since it would hard to be a daily driver with 9 second equipment. It's already a PITA with 10 second stuff.

So I have zero interest in running half track, and won't attend any events at 1/4mi tracks that are cut in half to please someone in Maine who the rule has NO effect on.

Will you swear on that? There is no pleasing you PAT, every single race you attend becomes a pissing match about something or someone that has wronged you. I will personally pay you to stay at home:rockwoot:! Understanding things that are out of someones control does not seem to compute with you. Quit trying to ruin our good times and stay at home.

Dennis

Lastly,

The EASY way to restrict speeds is the old-fashioned way, restrict engine output.

No need to trail blaze. This has been the way for half a century.

So we should start bushing chargers? That could be an easy fix.

Not that much safer, but the likelihood of it climbing the wall would definitely be reduced. I don't know of anyone who has been impaled by the front half-shaft, but if it could be an area of concern, then it should probably be addressed.

I've run the 120's to 130's on bikes, cars, and a pickup.

The most stable platform so far is the 4x4 pickup.

Closest to death was a bike, and biggest handful was a supercharged Mustang.

I have no deathwish, I just don't see how a dragstrip is more dangerous than a public highway.

So we should start bushing chargers? That could be an easy fix.

Yup.

It's already been done with sled pulling. But you will have to kill drugs too.

And in there lies the problem. Too many drug addicts! JUST SAY NO!!! :D

I've run the 120's to 130's on bikes, cars, and a pickup.

The most stable platform so far is the 4x4 pickup.

Closest to death was a bike, and biggest handful was a supercharged Mustang.

I have no deathwish, I just don't see how a dragstrip is more dangerous than a public highway.

You may be totally correct, but I'm not the person you have to convince. I don't think the NHRA or SFI sees it the way you do. Personally, I would rather see the 1/4, but I also don't want to see one of these trucks on it's lid at 130+ to find out if an 11.50 rollbar will do the trick @ 6k lbs .......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back