Attention NADM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, I like David and the crew that's running this, and thanked them both in person and on the internet.

But any claim that "the racers" were notified before is unfounded.

I have a written communication here with David Dunbar's name on it.

It is dated Feb 11, or less than 2 weeks before the event.

We asked what the rules are, formally this time:

"We will have Unlimited street - heads-up style class like Pro Street." -David Dunbar, Feb 11.

No mention of 1/8th. At all. None.

The flyer said no pickup trucks quicker than 10.00 (there weren't, nor has been at Famoso), so claiming a 4x4 restriction holds no water, since it was both stated, and de facto.

Do I need to scan this?

Or can you now delete this. You folk are "adjusting" reality for whatever reason, and I say good-for-you. My LSD days are behind me, so I can't see the rainbows you can.

... you seem to always find something to complain about at every race you attend. :blahblah1:

Bullshiit.

I've competed in perhaps 200 races so far. Maybe twice that. Dunno. A lot. 30 or more diesel-oriented events alone.

But I have complained when the rules are changed in the lanes. That's two events in a row.

Your batting average is not good.

I talked to the NADM guys last week about building a truck for this class.

When the NADM folks told me about running the 1/8th, I expressed my displeasure as well.

1/8 mile racing is a joke.

Any racer that votes to reduce drag racing to 1/8th mile is worried that his stuff won't hold up for a full 1/4 mile run. If that's the case it's time for him to move to a different class. He's in over his head.

I'd like to know the head count on votes for the 1/8. I talked to some folks at the track that were planning on running Ultimate Street later this year and none were happy about the 1/8 rule.

Does NHRA specifically ban 4 wheel drives from going this fast? If so, why? and what safety measures do we have to put in place to satisfy the NHRA tech people?

Hey Guy, great seeing you and your shop this week. Top notch operation you have there. :clap:

As far as NHRA, I can't answer why they don't allow it, only that that they don't. I have even heard rumor that they may not even allow 10's some time in the future. They are watching us closely.

The safety of a 5000+lb vehicle running 140+ mph is also in question. Cages are not designed or certified for that much weight. At this point NHRA does reduce certification times on most cages because of the weight, but this issue I feel will one day raise it's head with NHRA. We have all been lucky and a cage has not been "tested" in one of these trucks. I would rather yeild to the safer side, than lose a friend. But I do know SFI is aware that the current spec written for cage tubing is not designed for these heavy trucks. The preliminary specs for a cage designed for this weight make them very expensive, and would eliminate every truck built I know of.

Thanks for coming out to support the show...:thankyou2:

Bullshiit.

I've competed in perhaps 200 races so far. Maybe twice that. Dunno. A lot. 30 or more diesel-oriented events alone.

But I have complained when the rules are changed in the lanes. That's two events in a row.

Here you go Pat in public. I am done with this thread, I guess I struck a nerve on this one, but that's my opinion and I'm stickin to it. Have a nice day, and I hope they get your Happy meal right at McDonalds today.:hehe:

Here you go Pat in public. I am done with this thread, I guess I struck a nerve on this one, but that's my opinion and I'm stickin to it. Have a nice day, and I hope they get your Happy meal right at McDonalds today.:hehe:

You have a nice day too!

Thanks for bringing the dyno, sorry you didn't run your truck.

Yes, I think they should ban discussion of rules on this board. Seems it gets the East guys all bent outta shape if the public knows the rules first.

Bullshiit.

Pat, again I apologize that you found out in the lanes that your class was 1/8th mile. But we did not change any rules. All of the east coast racers that I have spoke with (members) prior to any NADM racing, was determined to be 1/8th mile for this class per their request. Period. Where I errored was not informing the west coast racers (which up until Saturday had not registered as members so I would have had no idea who to call) that it was 1/8th mile. But since this class of racers has prior to this event been 1/4 mile, I should have announced it and again I am sorry for that.

When you expressed your displeasure, I did everything I could to make you happy. I offered you the opportunity make laps in ET so you could get your 1/4 data you wanted. I offered to let you jump classes to ET. I offered to let you run along with Dirty Max and Type D. What I didn't do was change the rules and make it 1/4 mile.

This was NADM's first event and considering we adjusted for threatening skies all day, adjusted for a 2 1/2 hour delay due to rain, and had a staggering 100+ competitors :thankyou2: on a shortened day, I couldn't be more proud for the NADM team efforts. I don't know that it's possible to have a "perfect" event, but we tried as hard as possible to make it as perfect as we could. This is the only negative issue I have heard about the event therefore I will consider it a success.

David
Congrats on putting on a great event and as you said the only complaint is the 1/8 mile notification.
I think you need to clarify now wether this class will be 1/4 or 1/8 so that we can make up our minds if we want to run this class. I can tell you that Guy and myself are not interested in an 1/8 mile race.

I dont think much of anyone is going to be interested in an 1/8 mile race. As said before 1/8 is for people who are too scared of their truck falling apart in the 1/4.

Pat, again I apologize that you found out in the lanes that your class was 1/8th mile. But we did not change any rules. All of the east coast racers that I have spoke with (members) prior to any NADM racing, was determined to be 1/8th mile for this class per their request. Period. Where I errored was not informing the west coast racers (which up until Saturday had not registered as members so I would have had no idea who to call) that it was 1/8th mile. But since this class of racers has prior to this event been 1/4 mile, I should have announced it and again I am sorry for that.

When you expressed your displeasure, I did everything I could to make you happy. I offered you the opportunity make laps in ET so you could get your 1/4 data you wanted. I offered to let you jump classes to ET. I offered to let you run along with Dirty Max and Type D. What I didn't do was change the rules and make it 1/4 mile.

This was NADM's first event and considering we adjusted for threatening skies all day, adjusted for a 2 1/2 hour delay due to rain, and had a staggering 100+ competitors :thankyou2: on a shortened day, I couldn't be more proud for the NADM team efforts. I don't know that it's possible to have a "perfect" event, but we tried as hard as possible to make it as perfect as we could. This is the only negative issue I have heard about the event therefore I will consider it a success.

If you would have told me BEFORE tech cards were issued, yes, I would have registered as ET. ET had already ran when before I was told about 1/8th.

In ET, I could have gotten a first pass early, saved a tire change, and perhaps even figured out our problem, since ET got 5 passes, and twice as much hours to work with. First car for UStreet wasn't until 1:30, right?

As it was, after the first pass at 7.1 in the eighth, I was told I was not qualified to run UStreet. Don't blame that on me. US was written on the windshield, and filled out on the card. The track guys yelled at me "PRO?" and I go "WHAT?" he goes "PRO?" I go "PRO TREE!", and I stage. Your guy marked the US on the window.

After wasting one pass, I was not going to risk "lane hopping" into ET.

Which Famoso racers knew the 1/8th rule before the event? There were only a few racers it affected, and it appears only one was told.

Like I said, again and again, thanks for putting on the event. We had been planning on this event ever since the Summer when it was announced as a 1/4mi event at Famoso, "Crude Drags".

I am sure when NADM has their ASO lined out this should not be a problem. Until then they are at the mercy of the track and the NHRA rules.

So is it correct to assume once this is little issue is lined out the NADM can get a firm committment from everyone that has expressed a concern?????????????

Dennis

Dennis
I think NADM did a great job considering it was a first event so to speak. Drag racing took up a little too much time and hindered sled pulls because of no lights ( damn short winter days ), but that was in no way their fault.
I love this class and want to compete in it and I want 1/4 mile track. Drag racing has allways been 1/4 mile. If we need a stronger cage, so be it. That is my only problem.

I agree with Mike. If its a cage issue that is stopping a top speed or distance, then create rules that are safe and people will comply.

Trucks with just as much HP go just as fast off road in the Baja 1000 and definately crash more than racers do in diesel drag racing, and their 2" Chromoly cages hold it just fine. People here know how to fab and arent scared of tube when theyre going that fast.

MikeL,

I am sure NADM can elaborate more on this than I can. I do however reccommend installing a cage that will certify alot faster than you plan on running the truck. Luckily we have not had to test out anyones cage but these trucks are heavier than the normal car so the added protection of a faster certified caged can only be a good idea.

BTW you should have heard those BOMBS!!!!

Dennis

Guys....the issue is more of the track owners. Its their insurance we are riding on and we have to comply with whatever they want or there won't be any event to worry about. There is a track out here that only lets the sub-10 second vehicles run 1/8 mile for safety....not just the trucks....anything sub 10's.

Trucks with just as much HP go just as fast off road in the Baja 1000 and definately crash more than racers do in diesel drag racing, and their 2" Chromoly cages hold it just fine. People here know how to fab and arent scared of tube when theyre going that fast.

Its not the HP thats the issue....its the 5500+ pounds that its pushing.

Its not the HP thats the issue....its the 5500+ pounds that its pushing.

Ok, Trophy Trucks weigh in between 4000-5000. The point I was making is that there is not a problem making a cage for a 5500 pound truck going 140 mph. You are going to be needing some intensive tig work on maybe as big as 3" Chromoly in some cases, but if thats what it takes to progress the sport forward then it needs to be done.

If you are saying its insurance, then thats somewhat out of our control, but it needs to be changed.

Hey Guy, great seeing you and your shop this week. Top notch operation you have there. :clap:

As far as NHRA, I can't answer why they don't allow it, only that that they don't. I have even heard rumor that they may not even allow 10's some time in the future. They are watching us closely.

The safety of a 5000+lb vehicle running 140+ mph is also in question. Cages are not designed or certified for that much weight. At this point NHRA does reduce certification times on most cages because of the weight, but this issue I feel will one day raise it's head with NHRA. We have all been lucky and a cage has not been "tested" in one of these trucks. I would rather yeild to the safer side, than lose a friend. But I do know SFI is aware that the current spec written for cage tubing is not designed for these heavy trucks. The preliminary specs for a cage designed for this weight make them very expensive, and would eliminate every truck built I know of.

Thanks for coming out to support the show...:thankyou2:

Thanks for stopping by the new shop. It was my pleasure to give you guys a tour.

Also thanks for all the hard work you put in to making this event a success. Us West Coasters really do appreciate the NADM choosing us as their first event location. You made out much better than the NASCAR guys did in Fontana CA this weekend.

I look forward to working through a solution to the track length dilemma.

I'm happy to assist in any way I can. After writing and enforcing rules as a NASCAR official for 8 years, I can certainly appreciate the no win situation we sometimes find ourselves in.

Perhaps an Unlimited Street 2x4 class that runs the 1/4 and an Unlimited Street 4x4 class for the 1/8?

Guy

It's kind of silly.

In theory you could have run 9.99 with a 4x4 and got the boot in:

--> ET
--> 12.00 class
--> "tube chassis" class

There was nothing stopping a 4x4 from running those.

So 1/8th "UStreet" limitation doesn't even solve the safety issue even if there are 4x4's in the 9's out west, which there aren't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back