2015 ppl 2.6 rules

To the people who are against opening the driveline up. how many of you pull in the 2.6 class? Just curious.

The same question can be asked for those that are for it. Rules questions always get people chiming in that aren't involved in the class no matter what you're talking about.

I'll just say that I get 10-15 passes on my R&P's before the pinion starts to crack.

To the people who are against opening the driveline up. how many of you pull in the 2.6 class? Just curious.

I am perfectly content with replacing my R&P every 10-15 hooks. The guys who only get 3 hooks out of a set are doing something wrong.

Its pretty simple to pop the cover off and inspect. If its bad you spend $200.00

I am perfectly content with replacing my R&P every 10-15 hooks. The guys who only get 3 hooks out of a set are doing something wrong.

Its pretty simple to pop the cover off and inspect. If its bad you spend $200.00
that's why several trucks destroy multiple ring n pinions a year. Set up and tracks make a big difference.... O and power.

I pull 2.6 we just had out first pinion take some teeth off and it has 25 hooks on it but only 12 or so were with above 1000 HP I don't know what we male but we have beat some trucks that claim to be over 1200hp so . So I'm happy with how its lasted and yes I believe a lot of how long it will last is chassis setup and really knowing what your doing when you setup the rear.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

I wasn't aware you could buy pinions separately....I was thinking $400-600 per swap for both gears (11.5 AAM).

Someone fill me in on saving money!

Last edited:
I am all about open drive line in 2.6...I am simply saying with the power I made last year and this year just under 1,200hp I was able to get 15 pretty hard passes on all types of different tracks out of my set.

And as far as cost you can get USA standard gear sets for under 250.00 all over the net.

If you set up a SQHD like it should be, that equals a whole lot of gear sets. I play both sides here. I am all for ODL, but its still do able with the Dana80.

I am all about open drive line in 2.6...I am simply saying with the power I made last year and this year just under 1,200hp I was able to get 15 pretty hard passes on all types of different tracks out of my set.

And as far as cost you can get USA standard gear sets for under 250.00 all over the net.

If you set up a SQHD like it should be, that equals a whole lot of gear sets. I play both sides here. I am all for ODL, but its still do able with the Dana80.

Not trying to be a butthole....were you hooking hard enough to stay near the front of the pack? How many top 5s?

The only reason I ask is that there's a top truck out this way who supposedly gets 2 passes per R&P and I just have a hard time grasping that.

You guys know that ODL is drop boxes and reverses right? 2.6 was supposed to be a street class. I think youre going to scare away potential trucks. Sure you don't "need" to buy a Rockwell to pull but no ones going to want to pull against a that. You need classes that you can spend some time in and jump up. Why don't some 2.6 guys want to go to a 3.0 class with a unlimited rear end? If the answer is spending more money then think about Workstock guys wanting to build a 2.6 truck.

You guys know that ODL is drop boxes and reverses right? 2.6 was supposed to be a street class. I think youre going to scare away potential trucks. Sure you don't "need" to buy a Rockwell to pull but no ones going to want to pull against a that. You need classes that you can spend some time in and jump up. Why don't some 2.6 guys want to go to a 3.0 class with a unlimited rear end? If the answer is spending more money then think about Workstock guys wanting to build a 2.6 truck.

2.5 has took the place of that. You'll see quite a few 2.6 trucks drop back to 2.5 if the ODL happens

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

If 2.6 goes open driveline i think people will be suprised at how many trucks dont go open driveline. I think you may see some rearends here and there but thats it. Open driveline isnt an advantage and you wont need it to be competitive.

Last edited:
We just tried to get open rear ends here in TX but keep one ton driveline and everyone here voted it down, here where we pull 3.0 doesn't exist. The guys felt it would give the top guys an advantage, in my opinion the 2.6 charger should make us all even.

Anybody commenting why people wanting open driveline just dont jump up to 3.0 should consider the fact that a factory block will no longer hold up at the power level they are currently at. We are in that predicament now. Full open driveline truck but going to a deckplate engine is just not in the cards budget wise. 2.6 is a good alternative but just not sure about having to fix ring and pinions on a regular basis. Open rearend would truly cheapen the class up. A big rear end can be had for under a 1000 bucks and they stand up in stock form. We are in limbo to see what rules will do. Time will tell

One of the top 2.6 trucks in the nation imploded the entire driveline at Scheid, it had ~15 hooks on it. So, they can live a moderate duration in a top truck. But its still a pain in the ass to have any driveline failure.

Everything has held up fine in our truck except rear ring and pinions. We were getting only 2 hooks per set regardless how we set them up or what brand we used. Rear end is the only thing I'd probably change for something stronger. Everything else is fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 passes is the most I've gotten out of a ring and pinion set this year. It had a lot of chipped teeth and cracks, not sure how long it had been like that. If I get on a couple of good tracks, I will start to develop very faint hairline cracks on the pinion. They're only visible with a good flashlight, but they are there. I have been replacing mine every 4-5 hooks just because it bothers me for it to have cracks in it.

I recently put 6 cepek crushers on mine (bad idea) and busted the transfer case this weekend. Rear ring and pinion is ok.

I wouldn't mind to see the driveline opened up some for 2.6 simply because I'm tired of pulling the diff cover between every pull to make sure everything is ok. My only concern with going open rearend only is that we will start junking transfer cases instead.

My only concern with going open rearend only is that we will start junking transfer cases instead.

X10! It just starts cascading.

I don't get why everyone is so hardheaded on needing more and more hard parts where clearly the answer is just to pull the turbos back. I know it'll never happen, and this is the stupidity of pulling.

No wonder the drag boys think we're all retarded.

Tightening the turbo rule up some would be a more viable option if it weren't for the 2.5 class. Some of the top 2.5 runners aren't far off from a lot of 2.6 trucks as it is

Tightening the turbo rule up some would be a more viable option if it weren't for the 2.5 class. Some of the top 2.5 runners aren't far off from a lot of 2.6 trucks as it is

Im not sure why people ever thought 2.5 was a good idea. Some of the 2.5 rules are as bad as the 2.6 and 3.0 turbo rules. So a 2.5 vs 2.6 isnt doing much.

Back